Only an Excuse?

• 3 months later...
21 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

I've heard a theory that the writers know how bad the show is and deliberately write absolute rubbish to see how much they can get away with.

The 'St Anger Theory'.

Tim could so easily have said to Kev, "Sorry mate, I've just asked my dad to be Best Man." It's a crap attempt at another 'hilarious' misunderstanding storyline. It's not as if he asked Steve to do it first.

I guess Ken is the new Uncle Albert in Number One then. That's probably why they made such a show of the old guy's photo a few episodes back.

1 hour ago, Satans_Husband said:

Tim could so easily have said to Kev, "Sorry mate, I've just asked my dad to be Best Man." It's a crap attempt at another 'hilarious' misunderstanding storyline. It's not as if he asked Steve to do it first.

I guess Ken is the new Uncle Albert in Number One then. That's probably why they made such a show of the old guy's photo a few episodes back.

What the hell only an excuse storyline is this?

• 6 months later...
3 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I was in Fopp today. I saw a The Best of Only an Excuse DVD. The run time was 225 minutes and the the years listed on the copyright were 2007-2016. I was almost curious enough to buy it.

Those 225 minutes would feel like 2007-2016. 

In it's heyday in the 90's it was fairly decent, the McAvennie character was so overdone though, Jonathan Watson however done a surprisingly good Fergus McCann and his parody of Graeme Souness was actually superb, as others have alluded though it slowly degenerated when they started doing Scottish social commentary in it, even though his turn at Jim Kerr a couple of years ago was actually really good, and I say that as a huge Simple Minds fan. 

9 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

In it's heyday in the 90's it was fairly decent, the McAvennie character was so overdone though, Jonathan Watson however done a surprisingly good Fergus McCann and his parody of Graeme Souness was actually superb, as others have alluded though it slowly degenerated when they started doing Scottish social commentary in it, even though his turn at Jim Kerr a couple of years ago was actually really good, and I say that as a huge Simple Minds fan. 

It was Tony Roper who did McCann

3 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

It was pretty much downhill once Tony Roper left.  The original radio shows are still hilarious no matter how many times I listen to them.

Totally agree. The one at the world cup with Mo Johnston knocking Ernie Walker's door wanting his nude books back had me absolutely pissing myself. 

2 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

That one always has me in kinks as well.

I remember running downstairs to play the tape for my mum and dad because I literally nearly wet myself at the "who is it?" "It's me, Mo Johnston" .................................."piss off" line, and switching it off straight after it because of the nudey books reference coming up, but my dad said, keep it playing it's funny I want to hear it. I was only about 10 at the time and went bright red when the nude books bit came on and my mum wanted the tape confiscated from me whereas my dad belly laughed for ages.

1 hour ago, Rugster said:

I remember running downstairs to play the tape for my mum and dad because I literally nearly wet myself at the "who is it?" "It's me, Mo Johnston" .................................."piss off" line, and switching it off straight after it because of the nudey books reference coming up, but my dad said, keep it playing it's funny I want to hear it. I was only about 10 at the time and went bright red when the nude books bit came on and my mum wanted the tape confiscated from me whereas my dad belly laughed for ages.

Now listening to them all again.