Only an Excuse?

13 hours ago, LeeVanTeeth said:

You should be able to submit sketches, ideas for shows etc etc direct to the Comedy Unit or send an enquiry to the BBC Scotland site.

Don't expect much payment though if your ideas are used, it is a million miles away from a gravy train.

You could send them part of your stool sample and it would be better.

14 hours ago, drs said:

The Comedy Unit isn't BBC Scotland though, they are an independent company.

An independent company that have produced a big chunk of BBC Scotland comedy for decades now, and who liase with BBC Scotland over each of the projects that are are commissioned.

BBC Scotland, incidentally, have in the past few years been involved in setting up residential workshops for aspiring comedy writers through the national Writersroom initiative. One of these taking place in Loch Long. When I say aspiring comedy writers maybe I should have added that it was females only.

Seriously, I think BBC Scotland comedy is largely gash but the idea of it being a boys club that are told to produce Glasgow-centric pish is utter nonsense likely emanating from  disgruntled wannabes that have had their material rejected and can't face up to the fact that they just aren't funny enough so feel the need to make excuses and stick the boot in at the same time.

On ‎01‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 15:30, LeeVanTeeth said:

The programme is made for a general audience not folk here on P&B .

True. Equally if it's for a general audience - and I do see the argument given it's going out between 60 and 30mins before the bells on Hogmanay - why is it predominantly about football? Most people in Scotland don't follow football at all. Why's it predominantly about Glasgow? Most people in Scotland don't live in Glasgow and most football fans in Scotland don't follow OF. Why does it still have numerous Martin O'Neil and Graham Souness appearances and Frank McAvennie cameos - except because Watson can do them and they've got OF connections?

As noted there could hardly be a better manager for content or visual caricature than Craig Levein? Yet the only football content not about OF / Partick was a Kris Boyd sketch and part of League Cup SF pastiche?

It's also very lazy and repetitive. Michael Stewart/Steven Thompson contradict/agree dynamic was funny... the first and perhaps second time. Having got into costume as the 3 presenters plenty other gags could have been made. Sutherland's goggly eyes didn't even feature, IIRC.

18 hours ago, Zen Archer said:

Interestingly the same paper has a piece today by 'Scottish Football Features Writer of the Year' Aidan Smith doing his bit for his media pals, by saying Only an Excuse was "back on form" this year, he found it funny and people aren't getting it:

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/celtic/review-only-an-excuse-makes-a-welcome-return-to-form-1-4850885

Edited by HibeeJibee

20 hours ago, LeeVanTeeth said:

A hermetically sealed boy's club?

Only 5 out of 7 of the Comedy Unit personnel are female.  What chance does an even incredibly talented female comedy have?

Comedy_Unit.png

Well done for finding out who is employed in their legal and finance departments.

Have a wee trawl through this cornucopia of dogshit and get back to us about who the writers and producers they are working with are http://www.comedyunit.co.uk/archive/#tv

21 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

True. Equally if it's for a general audience - and I do see the argument given it's going out between 60 and 30mins before the bells on Hogmanay - why is it predominantly about football? Most people in Scotland don't follow football at all. Why's it predominantly about Glasgow? Most people in Scotland don't live in Glasgow and most football fans in Scotland don't follow OF. Why does it still have numerous Martin O'Neil and Graham Souness appearances and Frank McAvennie cameos - except because Watson can do them and they've got OF connections?

As noted there could hardly be a better manager for content or visual caricature than Craig Levein? Yet the only football content not about OF / Partick was a Kris Boyd sketch and part of League Cup SF pastiche?

It's also very lazy and repetitive. Michael Stewart/Steven Thompson contradict/agree dynamic was funny... the first and perhaps second time. Having got into costume as the 3 presenters plenty other gags could have been made. Sutherland's goggly eyes didn't even feature, IIRC.

Interestingly the same paper has a piece today by 'Scottish Football Features Writer of the Year' Aidan Smith doing his bit for his media pals, by saying Only an Excuse was "back on form" this year, he found it funny and people aren't getting it:

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/celtic/review-only-an-excuse-makes-a-welcome-return-to-form-1-4850885

He flirts with making a reasonable point in that new article, before falling predictably short and going for the "insecure two-bit 'writer' for a failing paper railing against the medium that's rightfully putting him out of a job" angle:

Happy new year, but I’m afraid to say I’m not all that optimistic about 2019. It’s begun in a tedious, predictable and oh-so-wrong fashion with everyone slagging off Only an Excuse. What’s wrong with you 
people? Listen, I’m not pretending the show is cutting-edge comedy (never has been, not its style) or that every sketch is a zinger but what’s not funny about “Irish singing sensation” Brendan O’Rodgers in one of Val Doonican’s old cardies ambling with a shepherd’s crook by a lazy river and warbling songs from his latest LP including “I nearly threw a wobbler over John McGinn” and “Put your head next to mine on the sunbed”? I’d like to think the real Brendan laughed at that but maybe it was Celtic fans who didn’t. And maybe Rangers supporters didn’t laugh at the moment when the latest Hogmanay edition recalled the Royal wedding and there was a never-before-seen intimate close-up of Prince Harry placing the ring on Meghan Markle’s finger and it was revealed to be a sovvy straight out of Govan, beautifully set among the bride’s choice of false nails: Union Jacks and the “Ready” emblem. You see, that’s the problem with Old Firm fans: no sense of humour. To be fair, they’ve never really needed one. You only develop the ability to laugh at yourself and your team’s rotten luck when your best players are always sold, when there’s a serious risk of going out of the Scottish Cup early while rain piddles on your head through a hole in the lower-league stand roof, and when you never win much of anything, ever. A quick check on the twitterati’s dissenting voices confirmed that many had Old Firm sympathies, although this wasn’t true of them all. “You didn’t think Only an Excuse could get any worse,” opined one, “and then you watch that drivel from last night.” Other considered critiques included: “Utter garbage … Continues to get shittier by the year, time to pack it in … Who finds this pish funny?”Well, I do. Not every time. Over the last few years the show was starting to look a bit tired but on Monday night ace impersonator Jonathan Watson – a Ranger supporter, by the way – came up with far more hits than misses.

Worth pointing out that BBC Scotland also commissioned Mountain Goats, which was neither male dominated or Glasgow based. Or funny.
And don't forget the absolute clusterf**k that was Bob Servant