Making a Murderer

ICTChris

Also, in terms of a similar vein, have watched West of memphis, the central park 5 and shenandoah I would recommend them all. I've never seen paradise lost, would it be worth watching even if I've already seen wom?

Also, for anyone who hasn't listened, the first series of serial is absolutely tremendous listening, probably the case I've been most interested in of them all

I can't really remember West Of Memphis although i did watch it after i had seen Paradise Lost. West of Memphis is a lot shorter and if i remember correctly more of a recap of events.

Paradise lost is basically the exact same as making a murderer in that it spends a lot of time with the family during the trials and appeals, follows the defence lawyers and shows a lot of the courtroom action and brings up questions of potential suspects during the filming just by things people do and say on camera. It's a lot more immersive than West of Memphis but if you just want a short cliffnotes version of everything then it's definitely a good watch.

The film makes have been contacted by a member of the jury who gave told them they only voted Guilty because they were afraid for their safety if they didn't.

Would that be grounds for a retrial if proven?

Crackin article on some of the main forensic evidence.

http://chadsteele.blogspot.nl/2016/01/some-clarity-to-some-of-evidence-in.html

I was wondering why this kind of thing wasn't pushed really really hard by the defence, it seemed off at the time and that article clarifies why. I wonder how much of a 'thing' it is to not get too sciencey with jurors as they will often not have a fucking scooby what's going on.

The defence had a witness rubbish the test procedures.

The bullet and the blood should never have been allowed as evidence, Judge was in on it.

** (ARGUABLY) SPOILERS IN THIS POST**

Exactly. The blood was sealed in an evidence container. It was my understanding that once something has been sealed with an evidence 'sticker' it was illegal to break that seal unless given some kind of permission? The fact the lab said they would never extract blood in that way combined with the fact no one has said they did it, in my book made it blatantly obvious that someone had tampered with it. Combine that with someone testifying that the prosecution's test (for seeing if it was taken from the vile) wasn't a conclusive scientific test means it should have been scrapped.

The whole documentary summed up the American judicial system tbh. The biggest shock was that it was happening to a white man!

The defence had a witness rubbish the test procedures.

The bullet and the blood should never have been allowed as evidence, Judge was in on it.

Indeed they did, yet he was still convicted. I'm not convinced the jurors would've fully understood the implication of what the defence witness was saying.

I agree, anytime it would show a clip of the jury during the trial they certainly didnt really look like the sharpest bunch.

Terryifying to think your life could be put in the hands of 12 random imbeciles incapable of understanding pretty simple scientific testimony.

The whole documentary summed up the American judicial system tbh. The biggest shock was that it was happening to a white man!

Christ, you really believe this kind of shit only happens to black people? :lol:

I agree, anytime it would show a clip of the jury during the trial they certainly didnt really look like the sharpest bunch.

Terryifying to think your life could be put in the hands of 12 random imbeciles incapable of understanding pretty simple scientific testimony.

When did it show you the jury? I thought they were never shown tbh. Obviously I wasn't very observant :lol: