Morton v St Mirren Championship 2/1/16

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We were absolutely rancid and deserved nothing from the game. Much like the last fixture we gifted a set-piece goal (at which at least three players were unmarked) and then huffed and puffed without offering too much of a threat. Fielding two centre-backs in central midfield summed up Duffy's initial approach to the game, and only once one of them was ditched did we show more threat.

Two absolutely stinking home defeats in a row now, which not only draws rolled eyes about the supposedly heroic abilities of Clueless Jim, but must lead to a proper, defensive, central midfielder being signed this month, if only six months too late. Tidser's mysterious, never elaborated upon absence is absolutely infuriating right now.

We were absolutely rancid and deserved nothing from the game. Much like the last fixture we gifted a set-piece goal (at which at least three players were unmarked) and then huffed and puffed without offering too much of a threat. Fielding two centre-backs in central midfield summed up Duffy's initial approach to the game, and only once one of them was ditched did we show more threat.

Two absolutely stinking home defeats in a row now, which not only draws rolled eyes about the supposedly heroic abilities of Clueless Jim, but must lead to a proper, defensive, central midfielder signed this month, if only six months too late. Tidser's mysterious, never elaborated upon absence is absolutely infuriating right now.

:lol:

I Gaston was pish the day, hence why the morton team were raging at the goal. O'ware who I usually rank as a diddy was the only midfielder with a bit of urgency and trying to do something without gelling his hair.

RomanovFacepalm.pngRomanovFacepalm.pngRomanovFacepalm.png

The game was lost the second Duffy decided on that starting eleven. Let's spell this out, because it speaks volumes that everyone just shrugged their shoulders and said it was the midfield they expected. Four man midfield. Central midfielder on the left. Central midfielder on the right. Two man central midfield consisting of two centre backs. What kind of warped understanding of football do you need to have to actually think that's a good idea?

Over the season so far Duffy has vastly overachieved - though it's fair to predict that we will end the season closer to ninth than fourth - and has quite rightly had many plaudits, but I'm wondering if in some masochistic way he misses getting stick and decided to pick the worst line-up possible to remind everyone just how spectacularly fucking clueless he can be. If any other Morton manager - and we've had some real duds who can only dream of doing as well as Duffy has - had picked a midfield like that they'd have been absolutely hounded for it, yet with Duffy it's merely par for the course. He's got away with his failure to find a holding midfielder as O'Ware & Miller have adjusted as well as they can and have largely been competent, although they always have been and always will be centre backs, but playing the two of them together is just astounding. One bad result doesn't change the fact that he deserves massive credit for the season so far, but literally everything wrong with that performance was down to utterly ridiculous decisions by Duffy.

Edit: No idea why the font's weird. Div out.

Let's, be honest. The seethe is seeping out here.

First game? The same game we got a very dodgy red card (which even Duffy said was harsh) in the first half. The same game where we got a perfectly good goal ruled out? Yeah, that game finished 0-0 unfairly? Spot on, we should have won that.

The second game? The same game where we missed two sitters before taking the lead? We scored and sat back, that was Ian Murray's MO. You only dominated the latter part of the game because we scored first half. Had we not scored we wouldn't have sat back. And even still, your last minute equaliser was offside.

Unlucky? You're spot on. We have been unlucky. We should have 9 points, we only have 5. Savoury. Don't get yourself down lad, if I was Morton I would be seething too.

Seventeen years, jeez (17). It started with Hendrie and then... Coughlin, McPherson, Lennon, Murray and now Rae. All of those Saints managers have contributed to that remarkable time frame. This unbeaten run transcends eras. Is it ever going to end?

The pish is flowing out of me.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:WEE MORTON FC ARE SO SHITE :lol::lol::lol::lol:

The game was lost the second Duffy decided on that starting eleven. Let's spell this out, because it speaks volumes that everyone just shrugged their shoulders and said it was the midfield they expected. Four man midfield. Central midfielder on the left. Central midfielder on the right. Two man central midfield consisting of two centre backs. What kind of warped understanding of football do you need to have to actually think that's a good idea?

Over the season so far Duffy has vastly overachieved - though it's fair to predict that we will end the season closer to ninth than fourth - and has quite rightly had many plaudits, but I'm wondering if in some masochistic way he misses getting stick and decided to pick the worst line-up possible to remind everyone just how spectacularly fucking clueless he can be. If any other Morton manager - and we've had some real duds who can only dream of doing as well as Duffy has - had picked a midfield like that they'd have been absolutely hounded for it, yet with Duffy it's merely par for the course. He's got away with his failure to find a holding midfielder as O'Ware & Miller have adjusted as well as they can and have largely been competent, although they always have been and always will be centre backs, but playing the two of them together is just astounding. One bad result doesn't change the fact that he deserves massive credit for the season so far, but literally everything wrong with that performance was down to utterly ridiculous decisions by Duffy.

Edit: No idea why the font's weird. Div out.

photo-59052.gif?_r=1451679345

Can believe Morton fans are having a go at the keeper for the goal

That's never his ball plus he made a cracking save off his own defender

Aye, ridiculous. The entire defence made a c**t of it and a professional football team should never, ever concede from a cross from that position, but Gaston was blameless. There's no chance that should be a goalkeeper's ball, coming for that would Zibi Malkowski material.

The game was very similar to the other two derbies. St. Mirren were poor again, with Morton having more of the ball, but other than a few crosses and shots from distance I didn't think Morton were particularly dangerous. Thought the back four and Carswell played ok defensively. Other than that we gave the ball away time and time again, Agnew being the most guilty, putting ourselves under more pressure.

Morton offered very little, but you could at least see a bit of movement in their team, with strikers coming short looking for the ball into feet. Most of the time our possession ended up going back to Langfield who either put it out the park or right back to their keeper. Langfield taking a free kick away out on the left touchline was ludicrous. Everyone knew what was coming next. Thankfully it didnt cost us.

Whilst still not great, yesterday was a huge improvement from Boxing Day, as we at least looked much more of a unit. Hopefully with a couple of additions in January we can pull away from the bottom two.

Since 1980, Morton have defeated St. Mirren twice?

f**k me I thought our Derby record was bad.

I think between 97-98 they defeated us three times (at Love Street).

Other than that they haven't beaten us at Crappielow in 33 years, whilst we've won there 20 (twenty) times.

Archived