Midnight mass this evening

It's dead easy to be cheap and negative about something. Much harder to be positive or at least constructive.

And besides, you're a Dundee fan - of course people find it funny when you tell them they're wrong.

You're wrong.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was the only opinion I could provide on the matter after getting dragged along by grandparents for years, dreaded it every single year but never said anything as the 2 of them seemed to get enjoyment out of it.

Feel sorry for kids in a similar boat.

So your grandparents got comfort or enjoyment from it? And they tried (even in maybe a misguided way) to pass that on to the weans.

I don't blame you for hating it as a kid - but your post was overly dismissive of the whole thing.

It's dead easy to be cheap and negative about something. Much harder to be positive or at least constructive.

And besides, you're a Dundee fan - of course people find it funny when you tell them they're wrong.

It's not possible to be positive or constructive about organised religion and peoples blind adherence to it. And being critical of it is neither cheap nor negative.

It's not possible to be positive or constructive about organised religion and peoples blind adherence to it. And being critical of it is neither cheap nor negative.

Aye aye - but if you think the whole issue of religion in society is as black and white as that then you're mistaken.

:-D

(Are there still tickets left for the Derby as I'm hoping to tag along in the home end?)

I believe there's a few left for the home end. There should be loads left for the away end although you might leave feeling manically depressed.

Aye aye - but if you think the whole issue of religion in society is as black and white as that then you're mistaken.

Some fundamental aspects of religion are very 'black and white', other aspects are far more complex. Of course it suits some vested interests to try to present it all as a highly complex and nuanced subject.

I believe there's a few left for the home end. There should be loads left for the away end although you might leave feeling manically depressed.

Cheers.

I'm entirely neutral - although it has been an interesting and enjoyable turnaround in the atmosphere in work. Cocky Arabs are piping down and some weather beaten dees are starting to swagger.

Some fundamental aspects of religion are very 'black and white', other aspects are far more complex. Of course it suits some vested interests to try to present it all as a highly complex and nuanced subject.

I'm not a vested interest (raised in a communist household) but I cam see that a lot of good people get comfort and happiness from their local church service.

Not my cup of tea but denouncing them all out of hand is far too far.

I always pee before, but aye the Holy Wine does irritate the bladder something rotten.

Happened to me when I went to a watchnight service, as it was called in our bit. Some of the boys in the pub thought it would be a bit of fun to go along. I didn't do it again as i thought it was better to leave those who really believe to their own thing without us intruding.

I don't believe in angels, fairies or Santa Claus or suchlike but think there nothing much wrong with others doing so long as they don't try to kill me just because they do. Enjoy your service Ayia.

I'm not a vested interest (raised in a communist household) but I cam see that a lot of good people get comfort and happiness from their local church service.

Not my cup of tea but denouncing them all out of hand is far too far.

There are undoubtedly many, many people who attend church who are good decent kind people, of that I have no doubt. However you cannot separate this from the institutions - what they have done, the cover ups they have been (and still are) involved in, the misogyny and the bile that they preach.

It is easy to try to present religious adherence as some sort of benign activity but it's not.

You should tell her there is no santa, easter bunny or tooth fairy and no such thing as god in any way shape or form, meaning that eventually one day she will die and slowly decompose in a pine box under the ground where she will lie forever and ever and ever.

You'll probably quite enjoy it and look upon it as a job done good

There's no Rangers either

There are undoubtedly many, many people who attend church who are good decent kind people, of that I have no doubt. However you cannot separate this from the institutions - what they have done, the cover ups they have been (and still are) involved in, the misogyny and the bile that they preach.

It is easy to try to present religious adherence as some sort of benign activity but it's not.

I think you can separate them.

Oil companies and other multinational corporations have reeked havoc across the planet but you don't blame all their customers or even all their employees for their actions.

Either way this is far too deep a conversation for such a night. I'm away to get a scooter out the loft.

Still not entirely sure what to do with this carrot...

I have to shamefully admit I have attended mass whilst under the influence.

Have been known to have son

You made me feel young, calling me son, thanks Mister.

Pub was always the prelude before it, was always late so I never got a seat, easy to slip out for a piss when required though.

And many wonderful things have also been done in the name of said institutions.

It's especially easy to characterise religious adherence as a malign activity, where in reality, it seldom is.

I truly believe in none of it, but that doesn't allow me to smugly dismiss those that do and the value of their beliefs.

Easily my favourite hour of the year outside the months of June and July.

The chapel will be candle-lit in all its beauty with some of the most peaceful hymns known to man being sung - a cacophony of soft rhythm to match the interior beauty of this fine old building.

Holy Communion and Holy Wine to be consumed before a gathering with the locals, in among prayers, hymns and the real spirit of Christmas - the real gift this time of year has to offer.

Enjoy your evening, and enjoy your time off. I am Ayia Napa Daz: in the name of the father, the son and the Holy Spirit.

Amen.

It's nice, unless you're Jewish, Buddhist, Hindu or Muslamic? ?

Archived