Midnight mass this evening

Easily my favourite hour of the year outside the months of June and July.

The chapel will be candle-lit in all its beauty with some of the most peaceful hymns known to man being sung - a cacophony of soft rhythm to match the interior beauty of this fine old building.

Holy Communion and Holy Wine to be consumed before a gathering with the locals, in among prayers, hymns and the real spirit of Christmas - the real gift this time of year has to offer.

Enjoy your evening, and enjoy your time off. I am Ayia Napa Daz: in the name of the father, the son and the Holy Spirit.

Amen.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Easily my favourite hour of the year outside the months of June and July.

The chapel will be candle-lit in all its beauty with some of the most peaceful hymns known to man being sung - a cacophony of soft rhythm to match the interior beauty of this fine old building.

Holy Communion and Holy Wine to be consumed before a gathering with the locals, in among prayers, hymns and the real spirit of Christmas - the real gift this time of year has to offer.

Enjoy your evening, and enjoy your time off. I am Ayia Napa Daz: in the name of the father, the son and the Holy Spirit.

Amen.

0/10

Wasn't in Latin.

Im going to midnight mass this year, that and funerals are the only time I attend chapel to be honest.

Wont be taking communion though since you are meant to take confession beforehand so you are free of sin before accepting the body of christ and all that, since my last confession when I was about 14 or so I'd need to take a week off work to confess the shit I've done in the last 25 years or so. :(

I usually go to confession around Easter time, although it was late summer this year. I can't think of any of the 12 commandments I may have broken since then, so my conscience is clear.

Enjoy mass, SSD.

My four year old granddaughter is looking forward to Christmas tomorrow. She thinks that her presents are being brought by Santa Claus, it's a harmless fantasy for a four year old child to believe.

I would be incredibly worried if she still believed in Santa Claus when she was an adult. Thankfully I don't think she will.

My four year old granddaughter is looking forward to Christmas tomorrow. She thinks that her presents are being brought by Santa Claus, it's a harmless fantasy for a four year old child to believe.

I would be incredibly worried if she still believed in Santa Claus when she was an adult. Thankfully I don't think she will.

I see what you did there, Bill.

Merry Christmas you old c**t.

Not one for churches myself but each to their own. Enjoy the evening chief.

My old mum kept promising to take us to the midnight service at Christmas but I was pretty glad she never got round to it. I'd be quite happy to attend now - and reckon I might stick on radio Scotland later and listen to the live service (whilst deciphering weans toys without the instructions).

Btw, do I need to actually eat the carrot?

You should tell her there is no santa, easter bunny or tooth fairy and no such thing as god in any way shape or form, meaning that eventually one day she will die and slowly decompose in a pine box under the ground where she will lie forever and ever and ever.

You'll probably quite enjoy it and look upon it as a job done good

It would be a bit harsh to ruin those innocent childhood fantasies at her age but hopefully with a good upbringing from logical and rational parents she would come to learn those things in her own time.

Not one for churches myself but each to their own. Enjoy the evening chief.

My old mum kept promising to take us to the midnight service at Christmas but I was pretty glad she never got round to it. I'd be quite happy to attend now - and reckon I might stick on radio Scotland later and listen to the live service (whilst deciphering weans toys without the instructions).

Btw, do I need to actually eat the carrot?

It depends which part of the snowman it was.

Not been for years and I've no plans to change it any time soon.

I do find myself questioning that middle class wankiness however, that sees me wish to encourage my kids to deploy rational thought in recognising that God is a daft man-made construction; yet simultaneously cling desperately to the idea that they buy into the whole Santa thing.

Not been for years and I've no plans to change it any time soon.

I do find myself questioning that middle class wankiness however, that sees me wish to encourage my kids to deploy rational thought in recognising that God is a daft man-made construction; yet simultaneously cling desperately to the idea that they buy into the whole Santa thing.

I think by the time they're getting serious into rational thought they're well past santa.

It's a kids thing. Harmless.

I do think kids should be encouraged to choose their own religion / none. If they want to follow their parents beliefs then that's brilliant - but the brainwashing never ends well.

I only go to Church on the 16th of each month. Becuase I was raised in an extremely orthodox household (it's v niche with under 15,000 people following it in Europe, think it's bigger in Africa). Not really a fan of prodestent or Catholic chirches tbh, I find them tacky.

Anyway merry Christmas and do enjoy your mass if you are attending one.

I think by the time they're getting serious into rational thought they're well past santa.

It's a kids thing. Harmless.

I do think kids should be encouraged to choose their own religion / none. If they want to follow their parents beliefs then that's brilliant - but the brainwashing never ends well.

Yes, but even young kids have questions and you kind of want to encourage that. However, there's one big lie that I don't want questioned or picked at, at all.

I agree that it's essentially harmless - I dread the fast approaching day when Santa stops visiting our house.

I do think there's a contradiction though in the fact that I otherwise want enquiring minds that aren't easily duped.

I used to do the chapel thing many years ago, When certain cover ups were exposed I just couldn't do it anymore.

Probably the wrong action, as there is always bad apples in such big organisations. But my own wee God who's mine and no one else's keeps me right when I pray to him.

Simpleton? Maybe, but it works for me.

Merry Christmas and enjoy the pineapple lads ????

The day that people start slaughtering each other using their different interpretations of Santaism as justification is the day that I'll start to consider it as anything other than a harmless fantasy that kids enjoy and that they grow out of without any apparent trauma.

ETA for autocorrect!

Horrible way to spend a Christmas Eve, thoughts go out to any kids that have been dragged along to this pish tonight.

Bit silly.

They'll be kinda bored, but lots of kids will have much worse times this Christmas, that have nothing to do with visiting church.

Archived