Minimum Unit Alcohol Price Illegal, says European Court of Justice

ICTChris

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stephen McGowan @LicensingLaws

European Court of Justice rules Scottish Government cannot introduce minimum alcohol pricing |

Nicola Sturgeon ‏@NicolaSturgeon 36m36 minutes ago

Nicola Sturgeon Retweeted Stephen McGowan

No, it doesn't. It sets out tests national court needs to apply. We think those tests can be passed

:wub: We really do have a simply first-class, First Minister.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1450866960.239001.jpg

Just seen that. ^

I'm as big as an SNP fan boy as there is but I really don't agree with them here, people need educated, trying to put them off/stop them due to cost isn't the right way to go surely?

Don't call me Shirley but, the booze industry don't help themselves. Putting "please drink responsibly" on adverts achieves hee-haw and it is not simply the producers it's the vendors (which are in each others pockets). Not wedded to the idea of min pricing but if we are getting cuts to councils, community services (investment in which I reckon would be a better answer) courtesy of Westminster, min pricing I think is a good option.

It really shouldn't be possible to get absolutely jaked on under a tenner.

Don't call me Shirley but, the booze industry don't help themselves. Putting "please drink responsibly" on adverts achieves hee-haw and it is not simply the producers it's the vendors (which are in each others pockets). Not wedded to the idea of min pricing but if we are getting cuts to councils, community services (investment in which I reckon would be a better answer) courtesy of Westminster, min pricing I think is a good option.

This, absolutely!

Scotland has an awful relationship with alcohol. I know social issues are at the heart of many problems and there's no quick fix for this, but buckfast, super strength ciders, Special Brew and the purple Tennents bring nothing but despair to communities and families.

First part I agree with.

But how much extra money is it really going to end up costing you to buy a bottle of vodka after the minimum pricing comes in? Can't be much at all? You'll still be getting 'absolutely jaked' off a relatively small amount of money.

Eta: minimum a 70 could sell for under new laws is £14, what's the cheapest out there at the moment? £8/£9 maybe?

First part I agree with.

But how much extra money is it really going to end up costing you to buy a bottle of vodka after the minimum pricing comes in? Can't be much at all? You'll still be getting 'absolutely jaked' off a relatively small amount of money.

Eta: minimum a 70 could sell for under new laws is £14, what's the cheapest out there at the moment? £8/£9 maybe?

It is aimed mostly at the cheap drinks such as cider. For example at asda you can get 2l of cider for £2.25 which would increase to £4.23 under minimum pricing.

ETA: Tesco has cider at £2 which would cost £4.50

MUP is a fantastically regressive policy which would drive more people in Scotland into poverty, so this is great news.

Beer is even cheaper in Holland than in the UK (staggeringly so, if you're willing to put in the effort of recycling bottles), but oddly men live beyond 60 here. It isn't because the Dutch are somehow magically immune to the evils of drink.

MUP is a fantastically regressive policy which would drive more people in Scotland into poverty, so this is great news.

Beer is even cheaper in Holland than in the UK (staggeringly so, if you're willing to put in the effort of recycling bottles), but oddly men live beyond 60 here. It isn't because the Dutch are somehow magically immune to the evils of drink.

No one is forced to purchase alcohol, there are plenty of alternatives. If you are driven to poverty due to your alcohol consumption then you really should be re-evaluating your priorities.

Hope the SNP succeed with this before we're drowning in cheap booze, use the cash to save future generations then we can all worry about getting cheaper booze.

Nicola really needs to take a different course from Westminster on gambling, booze and drugs if/when she can.

I often take the train into Glasgow on a Friday and Saturday night. Usually the trains around early evening have at least a group of folk with some Buckie going into Town for a night out. If it isn't Buckie it will be MD20/20, or lassies downing Koppelberg or that Purple Strongbow stuff.

Problem being that Buckfast- which is apparently "mentioned in a huge number of crime reports"- is already beyond the scope of minimum pricing.

Personally I think it is a rubbish policy. It's from the 'won't someone please think of the children' pot. It isn't going to change much and ignores the social problems in many problem drinkers.

Shouldn't the SNP just end the Council Tax freeze allowing councils to raise additional money to protect services?

Shouldn't the SNP just end the Council Tax freeze allowing councils to raise additional money to protect services?

Possibly, but do you really want tax varying powers in the hands of cooncillors, most of which have a ridiculous level of debt, pension holes and their block grant just slashed by WM?

Archived