Podcasts

Ludo*1

Kermode likes genre cinema, it's not hugely surprising he gave good reviews to Twilight.

I have quite a few podcasts that I dip into depending on if they interest me - the Guardian and Times ones, various spors ones (Science of Sport, Barbell Medicine).  I feel like I need to find one to really get into again.

Not directed at me, but I only listen to Kermode's reviews on films I want to see or have watched prior. Not sure how I'd cope with a full podcast so just pick and choose the YouTube stuff.
The K&M podcast was (probably still is) about 5% reviews and 95% emails from #FBPE-types, so I suppose that kind of offsets that particular worry...

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

Kermode likes genre cinema, it's not hugely surprising he gave good reviews to Twilight.

I have quite a few podcasts that I dip into depending on if they interest me - the Guardian and Times ones, various spors ones (Science of Sport, Barbell Medicine).  I feel like I need to find one to really get into again.

This little series (10 greatest fights) is some real throwback, terrific journalism. They have some of the toughest guys in history in tears, almost like PTSD, looking at a particular fight that made history. Hearns-Hagler and Benn-Eubank are pretty special. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/search?q=greatest+fights+costello

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

Half of the reviews you read in the UK media are like this now. People who are watching Paul Thomas Anderson or listening to Gil Scott Heron at home enthusing over Marvel pish and Niki Minaj. 

It's all down to revenue being mainly down to website hits now so they are required to say the most popular things are the best to bring in the numbers but also so their publications get interviews with big stars. 

The early reviews of movies nowadays tend to say a movie is great then same publication a month later will give its real opinion

2 hours ago, Detournement said:

I always thought Kermode was a gimp and had it confirmed when he admitted he walked out of Blue Velvet because it was too extreme. 

I've never heard that before.  Is Blue Velvet even that extreme?  It's been a while since I've seen it and there are a few brutal scenes but I've seen worse.  Strange, especially given Kermode loves Twin Peaks which also has some pretty brutal scenes, especially in the film (which he rates, unlike a lot of other critics).

10 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

I've never heard that before.  Is Blue Velvet even that extreme?  It's been a while since I've seen it and there are a few brutal scenes but I've seen worse.  Strange, especially given Kermode loves Twin Peaks which also has some pretty brutal scenes, especially in the film (which he rates, unlike a lot of other critics).

Kermode explains his initial reaction here, he thinks it was a great film. Some might say he's squirming out of an unpopular opinion, I think he's being honest. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/markkermode/entries/1e6e1112-ded2-4f01-a773-98a881f52e6a

Edited by welshbairn

Aye but obviously I'm a cynic and I think it's probably more likely that he had it explained to him that if he wanted to be a professional British film critic he would need to change tact. 

The fact that someone who couldn't sit through a David Lynch movie could get a job as a film critic in the 80s makes no sense at all unless you know what school he went to and the monstrous hordes that comprise his fellow former pupils.....

2 hours ago, BigDoddyKane said:

The early reviews of movies nowadays tend to say a movie is great then same publication a month later will give its real opinion

I love reading the 'early reactions' to a massive new release. It's as if they have a checklist:

• Say it's a fresh take
  • It has very pertinent themes
  • You must tell everyone that you cried
  • Throw in a few contrasting adjectives (happy yet sad, fun yet boring, good yet bad)
  • Above all, be as vague as possible and don't let anyone know that you haven't actually seen it

On 28/07/2021 at 16:22, MSU said:

Liking the Twilight movies and reviewing them like he was being paid by the studio was very much a line in the sand for me.

I used to like Kermode when I was in HS but mainly because he was quite good at almost certainly scripted but off the cuff sounding riffs (Mamma Mia, SATC2) but he's always had a bit of this. Got particularly bad when they got up to two hours and they had a habit of interviewing people involved in some utter dreck and then in the second half would give it a glowing review. My dad still listens and I don't mind if I'm visiting and it's on when we drive somewhere but haven't listened myself for years

20 hours ago, accies1874 said:

I love reading the 'early reactions' to a massive new release. It's as if they have a checklist:

• Say it's a fresh take
  • It has very pertinent themes
  • You must tell everyone that you cried
  • Throw in a few contrasting adjectives (happy yet sad, fun yet boring, good yet bad)
  • Above all, be as vague as possible and don't let anyone know that you haven't actually seen it

• 4 weeks later...
On 26/08/2021 at 14:52, The Minertaur said:

https://play.acast.com/s/offmenu/ep116-bobmortimer

Just heaven.  Bob Mortimer on Off Menu.

He's such good fun on podcasts. He even managed to bring along Peter Beardsley.

The previous episode (a live one) reminded me of those old Billy Connolly albums or a live rock album. A big raucous crowd to watch folk talk about food.

Totally obsessed with 'The The One Show Show'

Assume it has been mentioned in here already but it's an in depth analysis and piss take of the basket case BBC favourite.

Three and a half years worth of episodes to binge. My daily commute to Peebles is sorted for the foreseeable!

• 2 months later...

I like true crime stuff but get bored easily.  I found a couple of Scottish themed episodes of Small Town Dicks, hosted by Lisa Simpson's voice.  The former Detective Inspector Tom Wood spoke about the World's End murders and Robert Black.  He also did one on the currently unsolved murder of Sheila Anderson from the early 1980s.

Obviously the subject matter is a bit dark but it's interesting.  Just chilling that creatures like Black and Sinclair walk among us.  Wood made the point that Robert Black, Angus Sinclair and Peter Tobin were all born within a year of each other, all relatively close together geographically and all were prolific serial murderers.

Used this thread for some recommendations before, the two I would put in there are:

• Welcome to your Fantasy - story of the start of Chippendales and male stripping (and eventually true crime). 
  • The Line - Story about Eddie Gallagher, the navy seal who murdered people in Iraq. Only a few episodes, a relatively short podcast, but particularly gripping and all the main characters (including Eddie Gallagher) give interviews. A far more complex story that initially appears (although he is still 100% a murderer).

I've had lots of good recommendations from this thread, but particular shout out to Hunting Warhead and Conflicted which were both magnificent. 

Edited by Satoshi