Podcasts

Ludo*1

Listened to Monday's Football Weekly which has convinced me not to bother with them for the Euros until/unless England are papped out. I could maybe stomach it if we weren't in their group but, as it is, they're on the blacklist. I've also got my concerns about Tifo but they've got enough credit in the bank for me to stick with them. 

Anyone listened to the OldFirm Facts podcast?

I've given a few episodes a spin and in general they're pretty good. The one with Chris McQueer and David Ross was outstanding actually. I also enjoyed the opening episode with Cosgrove and Sean McDonald. They were funny and insightful.

He does like to bring a gender balance to his shows, which I think can be refreshing and is well done. Amy MacDonald is great value and I liked listening to Jean Johansson. 

I'd like a greater spread of football fans on as it seemed that only a couple of episodes featured non-old firm fans. 

But in general it's a good listen with good quality guests.

Hi folks

I started a podcast a few weeks ago so, excuse my self indulgence, as I tell you about it.

It's called Free Kick and you can find it from any of your preferred podcast providers and my latest episode has just gone out, where I speak to Craig Brown, Jim McCalliog and Ian Crocker (of Sky Sports fame) about Scotland.  I even spoke to a guy called Lovre Nikolac, who spoke to me about Croatia.

Please check it out from wherever you get your podcasts, subscribe and enjoy 

6 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 There’s 24 hours to go and this week’s podcast guest, 1967 Wembley Wizard Jim McCalliog shares how to score a winning goal on England’s hallowed turf

Catch it on Free Kick, available now from wherever you get your podcasts 

Please share far and wide

I'll certainly give that a listen - one of the great days for Scotland and our first time as Unofficial World Champions.

For we football card nerds of the 60s McCalliog - after his goal -was a bit of a find in his Sheffield Wednesday kit:

mccalliog.jpg.ce6ff10193687bc0e69e57f309f46835.jpg

On 10/06/2021 at 08:40, accies1874 said:

Listened to Monday's Football Weekly which has convinced me not to bother with them for the Euros until/unless England are papped out. I could maybe stomach it if we weren't in their group but, as it is, they're on the blacklist. I've also got my concerns about Tifo but they've got enough credit in the bank for me to stick with them. 

In a petty hissyfit, I binned Football Weekly in 2014 when the Guardian came out urging people to vote No.

• 1 month later...

Blowback Season 2 has launched if you want a lively podcast about the Cuban Revolution and the US’s sensible reaction. First episode is brilliant for setting the scene and has some great quotes from Castro.

Marshy delivers brutally honest personality assessments based on listening choices could be an excellent addition to P&B. 
next page down..

25F8059D-02B8-4B81-A698-D70E4AD2260A.thumb.jpeg.de740f89e614a3b9b48c363e53c9c952.jpeg

Going to guess you’re over 40 but were cool in the 90s/ 00s

6 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Going to guess you’re over 40 but were cool in the 90s/ 00s

Exactly! Normally listen to podcasts when working so it can’t be anything too challenging or requiring concentration.

My working day sorted..

B8CCDEFE-3E0D-4443-B5B2-3D4BC53282B5.thumb.jpeg.02d373778ed4b9d193306efd94ceda2c.jpeg
Marshy delivers brutally honest personality assessments based on listening choices could be an excellent addition to P&B. 
next page down..

25F8059D-02B8-4B81-A698-D70E4AD2260A.thumb.jpeg.de740f89e614a3b9b48c363e53c9c952.jpeg
Out of interest, do you prefer the Kermode and Mayo podcast or Kermode's independent one? I've abandoned the former and just opted for the YouTube reviews when I'm interested, but the latter is really great.

Not directed at me, but I only listen to Kermode's reviews on films I want to see or have watched prior. Not sure how I'd cope with a full podcast so just pick and choose the YouTube stuff.

4 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Out of interest, do you prefer the Kermode and Mayo podcast or Kermode's independent one? I've abandoned the former and just opted for the YouTube reviews when I'm interested, but the latter is really great.

Only just discovered Kermode’s own podcast and enjoy how much he swears. Probably prefer it as everything on it is a passion project, rather than having to review and discuss films that don’t interest him and all the nicest nicey BBC stuff that goes along with the BBC show. Usually find the best episodes are the episodes on Kermode and Mayo when they’re on holiday. 

6 minutes ago, Detournement said:

I always thought Kermode was a gimp and had it confirmed when he admitted he walked out of Blue Velvet because it was too extreme. 

I don't care if he pretends to like it now card marked.

Liking the Twilight movies and reviewing them like he was being paid by the studio was very much a line in the sand for me.

10 minutes ago, MSU said:

Liking the Twilight movies and reviewing them like he was being paid by the studio was very much a line in the sand for me.

Half of the reviews you read in the UK media are like this now. People who are watching Paul Thomas Anderson or listening to Gil Scott Heron at home enthusing over Marvel pish and Niki Minaj. 

It's all down to revenue being mainly down to website hits now so they are required to say the most popular things are the best to bring in the numbers but also so their publications get interviews with big stars. 

Edited by Detournement