Podcasts

Ludo*1

This is all news to me. When did this happen?
I haven't noticed any difference.
About 4 months ago. It's now a freemium app. They removed features like the ability to play your own mp3's. I didn't really care about anything else but think there was playlist related features removed too.
People who previously paid for it had to pay again if they wanted those features. Think they ended up having to backtrack on that for those who paid for the desktop app but nothing for the mobile app purchasers.
Almost as many 1 star reviews as 5 star on the play store now.

3 hours ago, Dee Man said:

Don't know if the Adam Buxton and Billy Connolly podcast from December has been mentioned but it's well worth a listen. Good to hear him still sounding sharp as a tack although I'm guessing it was recorded last summer as Buxton mentions it was the day after the hottest day of the year. I should've been a detective me. 

Great episode, particularly the discussion of the word cûnt. 

9 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

I got Billy Connolly's new book after listening. It hasn't been opened yet but it's about 4th in line in my pile of books. 

Pretty tragic stuff about Gerry Rafferty in that episode. 

He pre-empted the Gerry Rafferty story by saying, "I probably shouldn't tell you this but...", and as he started going into detail I was thinking he probably should've kept it to himself. Pretty grim. 

1 minute ago, MSU said:

Great episode, particularly the discussion of the word cûnt. 

I was disappointed he didn't say it can be used as a term of endearment in Scotland. The reaction by southerners when you use that word, particularly women, is incredible sometimes. 

I also thought he got the definition of "hoaching" wrong by saying it had negative connotations. Anytime I've heard it being used is to describe somewhere with an abundance of single ladies. 

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of a different one for Richard Herring with footballer and podcaster Jon Parkin. Who’d have thought you’d get Malky MacKay chat on RHLSTP? Parkin would just head home after training and hide in his bed until the next morning after each relentless bullying from Malky.

Edited by Shandon Par

I've been listening to the CBC Uncover podcast about the Satanic Panic in Martensville, Canada.  I find anything about that whole episode fascinating.  It's kind of mind-blowing.  I can remember hearing about the cases in the UK on the radio while having breakfast when I was a kid and being absolutely terrified of the descriptions.

33 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I've been listening to the CBC Uncover podcast about the Satanic Panic in Martensville, Canada.  I find anything about that whole episode fascinating.  It's kind of mind-blowing.  I can remember hearing about the cases in the UK on the radio while having breakfast when I was a kid and being absolutely terrified of the descriptions.

I knew nothing about this but there was a Stuff You Should Know episode a few months back about how the Satanic Panic was based on nothing. Really interesting to learn how this all went down. Absolutely mental. CBC make such good podcasts.

Down the Hill: The Delphi Murders is another in the long line of true crime podcasts, this time two young girls’ murder in broad daylight. Episode two is creepy as heck.
Been listening to this as well. It's not bad but it's a bit too "American News Anchory" for my taste so far.

Is this true of the CBC satanic panic podcasts as well?

Been listening to this as well. It's not bad but it's a bit too "American News Anchory" for my taste so far.

Is this true of the CBC satanic panic podcasts as well?

I know what you mean and I don’t think the CBC Satanic Panic pods are like that.

The episode released yesterday is excellent if you are interested in moral panics and the Satanic Panic.

A very gentle one..

Walking the Dog with Emily Dean. I think she's Frank Skinner's radio co-host. She gets some decent guests (eg Rev. Richard Coles (half of The Communards with Jimmy Somerville), David Baddiel, Rob Brydon, Adam Buxton...)  goes for a walk with them and their dog (or they borrow a dog) and just have a chat. 

Nothing ground breaking or brilliant about it but maybe worth checking if you're just after some easy listening chat. 

Edited by L'immortale Par

On ‎07‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 07:44, Dee Man said:

Don't know if the Adam Buxton and Billy Connolly podcast from December has been mentioned but it's well worth a listen. Good to hear him still sounding sharp as a tack...

That's brilliant news.  I've only just started listening to the Adam Buxton podcast but had actually avoided that one in case the big yin was in the opposite condition.  Will listen today.

I just listened to the Catcher in the Rye review with Richard Ayoade and Sara Pascoe, absolutely brilliant stuff.  The way in which AB can lurch from high brow reference to schoolboy humour has always delighted me.

My contribution to this thread, not sure if it's been mentioned already, is Radio 4's archive of Great Lives.  Vivid biographies of amazing people, some you've heard of - although my favourites are often the ones I'd never known of before. 

In fact, there's so much of R4's output on BBC Sounds that is just fantastic.  A Good Read is another.

On 28/02/2020 at 07:20, Tartan Dave said:

Conflicted is an interesting podcast. Ex terrorist who turned MI6 spy chatting with a pretty clued up guy. Worth a listen. Gives great insight to how these issues start, what goes through terrorists heads and some general history

Tremendous recommendation. I've just binge-listened the first 6 episodes since I read this post yesterday. 

Aimen Dean is an ex-Al Qaeda member turned double agent who tells some fascinating stories from pre 9/11 up to the present day as well as some ancient and modern history lessons on the Middle East and Islam. Cracking listen. 

RHLSTP -- I didn't think I was much of a Sara Pascoe fan but I enjoyed her LadsLadsLads show and she's pretty great on RHLSTP this week.

Redhanded -- Been trying to find a great true crime podcast and this isn't it. Two English lassies talk about famous and not so famous murder cases. I'm not prudish in any way, but their forced swearing and pointless banter really take away from the effort they put into their research. Also, for a couple who spend so much time reading notes, they really are awful at reading out their patron's names. It's like a wanna be My Favorite Murder. All this said, their latest episode about the Delhi rape case was well done.

The Last Post -- a daily Bugle spin-off hosted by Alice Fraser with a few regular guests. Short, snappy and I find myself chuckling at half a glass of water more often than I thought I would.

Full Disclosure -- James O'Brien interviews a range of comedians, actors, politicians. I quite like his LBC show when I catch it, but there's something about this that doesn't quite work, probably his interruptions of people who are interesting are less welcome than his interruptions of raving racist bigots who can't adequately explain why they voted for Brexit.

The Birthday Game -- came into this one late so series one is done. Richard Osman podcast quiz show where he asks the guests who were on House of Games that week to guess the ages of celebrities who have a birthday that week. Infinitely better and funnier than it sounds, plus the winner gets a Colin the Caterpillar Chocolate Cake from M&S.