• Announcements

• Div

Pie and Bovril Nostalgia Mobile Phone Cases!   12/09/18

We are delighted to have partnered up with Nostalgia Cases to offer a huge range of fantastic Scottish Football phone cases to our visitors. These high quality cases are available in a range of retro and up to date designs and there variations available for all Premiership, Championship and League 1 clubs as well as four of the League 2 teams. Within each club there are a range of choices. You'll find it difficult to choose! This is an Edinburgh based start-up, and they also provide a custom design service so if there is a kit you don't see that you'd love for your phone you can get in touch with them and they'll add it to their range. Naturally there is a HUGE support for all the major phone manufacturers and models and what's more delivery in the UK is completely FREE. What's even better is that Pie and Bovril users can get 10% off their order using the coupon code PIEANDBOV Take a look and browse the full range for your favourite club by clicking through to the website below. https://bit.ly/2M5laZs

Code Severe with Mark Strong. I've listened to a couple now and I think it's serious. He seems to be channeling Steven Toast. 

S-Town -- from the makers of This American Life and Serial, a seven-parter true investigation that's been released in one go today. A guy from Woodstock, Alabama (the Shittown of the title) gets in touch with a reporter to investigate rumours of a covered up murder in his small town. Of course, the story goes off wildly in other directions. Four episodes in and it's compelling stuff.

2 hours ago, MSU said:

S-Town -- from the makers of This American Life and Serial, a seven-parter true investigation that's been released in one go today. A guy from Woodstock, Alabama (the Shittown of the title) gets in touch with a reporter to investigate rumours of a covered up murder in his small town. Of course, the story goes off wildly in other directions. Four episodes in and it's compelling stuff.

Really looking forward to this one. Is it as good as serial?

1 minute ago, richDFC said:

Really looking forward to this one. Is it as good as serial?

It's maybe not quite up there. However, I've been listening to it all day so it must be doing something right :)

Really memorable characters, shows the good and bad of small town life, the alliances and feuds and mysteries.

2 hours ago, MSU said:

On a similar vein, Untold: The Daniel Morgan Murder.  It's about the unsolved murder of a private investigator, in which the red tops play an absolutely abhorrent role.  Cross between crime investigation, justice campaign and Private Eye style revelations.

4 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

On a similar vein, Untold: The Daniel Morgan Murder.  It's about the unsolved murder of a private investigator, in which the red tops play an absolutely abhorrent role.  Cross between crime investigation, justice campaign and Private Eye style revelations.

Sounds interesting. Subscribed!

Finished listening to S-Town. Not quite what I expected after listening to the preview as it does go off in a completely different direction. However, it is very well crafted and kept me captivated for 7 hours or so.

24 minutes ago, GingerSaint said:

Finished listening to S-Town. Not quite what I expected after listening to the preview as it does go off in a completely different direction. However, it is very well crafted and kept me captivated for 7 hours or so.

I absolutely agree. I loved the tangent it took in episodes 2 and 3, and then it became something different leading up to the end. As you say, though, it's crafted so well and the story is told so effortlessly, it's hard not to just be carried along by it.

I've been to Alabama once. I have no plans to return.

The maze looks fucking incredible. 

https://www.google.com/maps/place/33°12'08.9"N+87°07'52.1"W/@33.202464,-87.1318085,266m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d33.202464!4d-87.131145

If you like your history, Dan Carlin's Hardcore History, as mentioned earlier in this thread, I would recommend. Episodes last 3 hours plus. So it allows proper development of the events that have changed and shaped the world we live in today.

10 hours ago, MSU said:

The maze looks fucking incredible. 

Not over challenging though.

rose-maze.jpg?quality=65&strip=all&w=150

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Not over challenging though.

rose-maze.jpg?quality=65&strip=all&w=150

Lol. Not yet. 

Russell Brand's new(ish) Radio X podcast is pretty funny (and long too). Has the occasional good story about his wilder days and gets the piss ripped out of him by his co-host and some guests. Much more lighthearted and knockabout than his Under The Skin podcast.

Levar Burton (Star Trek) has started a podcast where he reads some of his favorite short stories.
His silky smooth voice is super dreamy.

I regularly listen to the Joe Rogan Experience. He has a variety of people on and the majority last about 2/3 hours. I'd recommend listening to the Randall Carlson ones, he's a geologist who has done research on the claim that an asteroid hit us 10 000 odd years ago. It will scare the shit out of you but it's great 

3 hours ago, stuartsmfc said:

I regularly listen to the Joe Rogan Experience. He has a variety of people on and the majority last about 2/3 hours. I'd recommend listening to the Randall Carlson ones, he's a geologist who has done research on the claim that an asteroid hit us 10 000 odd years ago. It will scare the shit out of you but it's great 

The length of each episode puts me off. I struggle to get through my podcasts as it is. Did listen to the Neil deGrasse Tyson episode(s) as he's just fantastic.

BBC Five Live have had a bash at a Serial-esque true crime podcast called Beyond Reasonable Doubt. This collection is about a guy who may or may not have killed his wife Hard to put my finger on why it doesn't really work, but Chris Warburton's bland presentation doesn't help and for the first few episodes I wasn't sure if it was real or if it was acted out. Ira Glass presumably not losing any sleep over this.