Podcasts

Ludo*1

13 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Got a big interview on my NFL podcast out now. Really interesting chat, and thoroughly enjoyed recording this one.

Lovely! Happy to support and listen to another indie podcast.  And well done on your mix minus!

Jonathan Ross - I Like Films

Loads of film podcasts out there but this is very good quality. Ross knows his stuff and isn’t afraid to ask toigh questions. Very different to the usual media tour interviews for film directors/actors. 

47 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Jonathan Ross - I Like Films

Loads of film podcasts out there but this is very good quality. Ross knows his stuff and isn’t afraid to ask toigh questions. Very different to the usual media tour interviews for film directors/actors. 

On the subject of film podcasts:

I used to love the Kermode & Mayo film review podcast, because it was 30-45 minutes long.  Straight into the 'top ten' and then the reviews.  I rarely agreed with Kermode but always enjoyed his opinions.

That was about 8-10 years ago though.  I can't be doing with the current two-hour format, because it's way too long and I've got a string of other shows during the week that I want to listen to.  I don't particularly want to hear from the directors or actors on the promotional stuff, and I have no idea where the content I want is to skip to.  There are no show notes to state where the segments are, so I just give up on it and work by Rotten Tomatoes.

Any recommendations for similar podcasts of succinct current film reviews?  Does the Jonathan Ross one do that?

Edited by bunglebonce

I used to love the Kermode & Mayo film review podcast, because it was 30-45 minutes long.  Straight into the 'top ten' and then the reviews.  I rarely agreed with Kermode but always enjoyed his opinions.
That was about 8-10 years ago though.  I can't be doing with the current two-hour format, because it's way too long and I've got a string of other shows during the week that I want to listen to.  I don't particularly want to hear from the directors or actors on the promotional stuff, and I have no idea where the content I want is to skip to.  There are no show notes to state where the segments are, so I just give up on it and work by Rotten Tomatoes.
Any recommendations for similar podcasts of succinct current film reviews?  Does the Jonathan Ross one do that?
Piggybacking here but adding, not hollywood films ideally

1 hour ago, bunglebonce said:

Kermode and Mayo interviews go on YouTube so you can get their reviews there without wading through the whole show. Also, if you’ve drifted away from the show, the best thing IMO is when Robbie Collin sits in. Again, his reviews etc go on YouTube when he stands in and he’s worth listening to. Really dry, funny and knowledgable (being a St Andrews uni boy like myself!). His review of the emoji movie is worth checking.

Ross’s show does talk about the latest film with the guest but it’s more of a general chat about their career. He really throws guests sometimes when they don’t realise quite what a film student he is and how extensive his phone book is in terms of who he’s friends with etc. 

8 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

6 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Kermode and Mayo interviews go on YouTube so you can get their reviews there without wading through the whole show. Also, if you’ve drifted away from the show, the best thing IMO is when Robbie Collin sits in. Again, his reviews etc go on YouTube when he stands in and he’s worth listening to. Really dry, funny and knowledgable (being a St Andrews uni boy like myself!). His review of the emoji movie is worth checking.

Ross’s show does talk about the latest film with the guest but it’s more of a general chat about their career. He really throws guests sometimes when they don’t realise quite what a film student he is and how extensive his phone book is in terms of who he’s friends with etc. 

I'm feeling the same way about K&M recently. I didn't get round to listening one week, found that I didn't really miss it, and haven't listened much at all this year. I made a special effort to hear the Stephen Merchant interview but it's become way too long, way too self-congratulatory, and way too much about things that have more to do with the show than movies.

I enjoy Robbie Collins a lot when he sits in.

4 minutes ago, MSU said:

Jon Ronson on RHLSTP this week. 

Just saw that ping up on my phone. He was on with Russell Brand recently too. 

Been listening to one I still can't decide if I like or not. Off Menu, with Ed Gamble and James Acaster. They get a guest and get them to talk through what would be their dream menu if out for dinner. Not much more to it than that. 

On 3/10/2019 at 13:51, ICTChris said:

I watch the K&M reviews on YouTube and occasionally an interview if I’m interested. Doubt they’ll top the interview Mayo did witb Naomi Watts about that Diana movie.

The one with the animators (Charlie Kaufman and Duke Johnson) was a painful one. At least it gave them a few years' worth of jokes about terrible guests and the revelation that cinema is actually just a series of still images. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Elis James and John Robins podcast is ceasing to be. Last show on Saturday. Not been as avid a fan of late but was always a good listen, some really funny moments over the episodes and some really heartfelt and important discussion. A shame to see it end.

Unfiltered, with James O’Brien, has finished but there are stacks of episodes from 2017-18. He was a recent guest on Ricahard Herring. Decent interviewer. 

Chatting to Shaun Ryder episode:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/unfiltered-with-james-obrien/id1290769207?mt=2&i=1000417695952

20 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

You can add me to the list of people bored of Kermode and Mayo's self-indulgence and shite patter. The film stuff is still good, but it's difficult getting through the rubbish.

At least with school holidays coming up there will be stand-ins for a couple of weeks. The only substitute that I’m not too keen on is Sanjeev as he’s very similar to Kermode and Mayo (a bit too luvvy/establishment). 

Really enjoy the tartan takeover with Edith and Robbie and Edith and Clarisse. It adds another dimension with Edith being so knowledgeable about films and argumentative. 

1352823-1553290193586-de33b3acbc8bf.jpg

Looking for something  a wee bit different ?...

Here mate, ye intae games?

Dynamite Neddy is a retro-gaming podcast where three auld friends talk about three auld games in a post industrial wasteland in the west coast of Scotland.
Decipher their famously easy-to-understand Scottish accents as they swap their favourite games from youth, reviving childhood favourites and playground arguments alike through various stages of inebriation.
You'll find Dynamite Neddy combines the childlike wonderment of the first time you ever played Sonic 3, with the harsh reality that is drinking heavily through the decay of late stage capitalism.
first bi-weekly episode available now at :

Edited by greenockraver

The Last Days of August, the follow up to Jon Ronson’s Butterfly Effect is now out/free on iTunes. 

Robbie Collin is on this week’s Kermode and Mayo and describes the new Peppa Pig movie as the most searing indictment of the English middle classes since Mike Leigh’s early tv work.

If you like sports podcasts, Pound for Pound is a decent listen. Max from Eastenders (Jake Wood) and retired pro Spencer Oliver have good blokey chemist and have really decent interviews each week. It can be daft - they had a deep discussion on who would win between a prime Mike Tyson and a prime gorilla - but  also get interviewees to really open up.