Podcasts

Ludo*1

On 02/02/2023 at 14:53, Stellaboz said:

I don't know her name but there's an Aberdeen fan and all she does is interrupt to make absolutely no point. 

It's one of the male regular panellists who I just can't take to.  When he's not there I've started noticed that the podcast is much better.

With the Terrace, and others, I sometimes think less is more. Doesn't help of course than many of the pods I used to listen to now do a Patreon or similar which dilutes the quality especially when you wonder if the good stuff is behind the paywall. (See the Terrace, Quickly Kevin, etc). 

Even if they aren't doing a Patreon, many of the ones I used to listen do were a one a week type of affair which wad great - having three or four of these would fill a weeks worth of commuting and you'd listen to the time sensitive ones first before the ones that aren't needing to be listened to there and then later. Things like Football Weekly (the clue is in the name) started doing Football Weekly Extra and will often add in extra episodes if there are big midweek fixtures on or features they want to do. So that goes from an hour of good listening to 3 hours and they've also needed to add more panelists as a result. More Barry, Phillipe, Wilson or whomever is fine but some of the others are pretty bland or downright annoying. Same goes for Totally Football Show. (And the Terrace where there are 2 or 3 who will make me reach for the next episode button when I hear them introduced).

Nowadays I'll probably listen to one of Football Weekly/Totaly, the Lower Leagues Terrace pod and a Football clichés and that's about it.

On 30/05/2022 at 10:28, Jeff Venom said:

Bump

I don't normally listen to their show but I was recommended the 2 Johnnies Podcast recent 'GAA Catfish' episodes. Sure enough it is an absolutely bonkers and really quite sinister story.

Have any P+B members ever been Cat-fished or been a catfish themselves?

Just listened to that Catfish story. 

Fucking hell :lol: :lol: 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Chris Dawson, who was convicted of his wife’s murder 40 years after she disappeared after The Teacher’sPet podcast highlighted the case, has been convicted of unlawful carnal knowledge of one of his students in the early 1980s. The student is (or rather was) the girl who he moved into his home the day after his wife disappeared. He later married and had a child with her.

Dawson truly is a detestable scumbag. There has been an updated podcast on the case, The Teachers Accuser.

• 1 month later...
On 13/02/2023 at 12:34, Salvo Montalbano said:

With the Terrace, and others, I sometimes think less is more. Doesn't help of course than many of the pods I used to listen to now do a Patreon or similar which dilutes the quality especially when you wonder if the good stuff is behind the paywall. (See the Terrace, Quickly Kevin, etc). 

Even if they aren't doing a Patreon, many of the ones I used to listen do were a one a week type of affair which wad great - having three or four of these would fill a weeks worth of commuting and you'd listen to the time sensitive ones first before the ones that aren't needing to be listened to there and then later. Things like Football Weekly (the clue is in the name) started doing Football Weekly Extra and will often add in extra episodes if there are big midweek fixtures on or features they want to do. So that goes from an hour of good listening to 3 hours and they've also needed to add more panelists as a result. More Barry, Phillipe, Wilson or whomever is fine but some of the others are pretty bland or downright annoying. Same goes for Totally Football Show. (And the Terrace where there are 2 or 3 who will make me reach for the next episode button when I hear them introduced).

Nowadays I'll probably listen to one of Football Weekly/Totaly, the Lower Leagues Terrace pod and a Football clichés and that's about it.

The "less is more" thing is something I agree with when it comes to the majority of podcasts. I think last season I didn't listen to any episodes of The Terrace or Football Weekly. I think I have reached a bit of a fatigue point with them.

One of the earliest podcasts I started listening to was History Extra from BBC History Magazine. When I started listening to it you got two episodes a month. It became weekly which was fine.

However they keep increasing the number of episodes of week until at some point during the pandemic they started doing 6 episodes per week. I just gave up on it at that point.

• 4 weeks later...
On 02/07/2023 at 01:23, ICTChris said:

Chris Dawson, who was convicted of his wife’s murder 40 years after she disappeared after The Teacher’s Pet podcast highlighted the case, has been convicted of unlawful carnal knowledge of one of his students in the early 1980s. The student is (or rather was) the girl who he moved into his home the day after his wife disappeared. He later married and had a child with her.

Dawson truly is a detestable scumbag. There has been an updated podcast on the case, The Teachers Accuser.

Having listened to The Teacher’s Pet, I eventually got around to listening to the The Teachers Accuser.

He is one seriously creepy guy - the evidence of him signing off his letters as "God" was particularly odd.  Here's hoping he somehow does the right thing and reveals the location of Lynette Dawson's body so that her family can bury her properly etc.

2 minutes ago, arab_joe said:

Having listened to The Teacher’s Pet, I eventually got around to listening to the The Teachers Accuser.

He is one seriously creepy guy - the evidence of him signing off his letters as "God" was particularly odd.  Here's hoping he somehow does the right thing and reveals the location of Lynette Dawson's body so that her family can bury her properly etc.

That would be good but I doubt he’ll do it. It would probably implicate his brother and even if it didn’t I think it’s beyond him to admit it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Following the sentencing of Ian Packer for the murder of Emma Caldwell (BBC article), the BBC has re-released their podcast on the same subject. 

I believe the podcast was fairly pivotal in convicting Mr Packer (another BBC article certainly suggests that), who rather stupidly tried to get the BBC to clear his name but incriminated himself to the extent that the BBC shelved the podcast from fear that it might harm his prosecution.

The podcast is a fantastic example of proper journalism, would highly recommend: Apple podcasts.