Podcasts

Ludo*1

On 07/10/2022 at 18:14, Stellaboz said:

I'd like to throw out a shout for my own podcast, East End Tales. Pars nostalgia centric but only 2 (3rd out next week!) episodes out. 

1 is with Scott Thomson and the 2nd is with everyone's favourite Provost, Jim Leishman. 

No surprise which provost the new King wanted to visit first.

George Groves Boxing Club. You get a real honesty here from a recently retired top level sportsman. He pulls in some quality interviewees too and looks at different aspects each week (eg training, money, defeats). Co-hosted by a boxing journo to help keep it on track. Don’t think you need to know/care much about boxing to enjoy it and if you’re used to bland football interviews you might be surprised by how candid everyone is.

On 06/10/2022 at 11:57, arab_joe said:

The Teacher's Trial and in particular The Teacher's Pet are both absolutely fantastic listens - the trial summaries sometimes dragged on a bit, but that aside they were both well worth a listen.  With my legal hat on, I do have some serious concerns that the podcast may assist in an appeal, right enough... 

The Australian is not quite the CBC, but it is not a million miles off it - Who the hell is Hamish?, Night Driver and The Lighthouse were all very good too (and that is coming from someone who has never set foot in Australia so hasn't a clue about the locations discussed).

Australian television video with Lynette's daughter Shannelle.

The text he sent his daughter in the last communication gives a real insight into the character of Chris Dawson.  What a piece of shit.

• 4 weeks later...
On 16/09/2022 at 08:41, The Wrong Car said:

I'm finding the Terrace a bit of a slog. With the TV show and "Review from the Terrace" podcasts they really seem to be stretching themselves thin, especially the Premiership ones, and the rotating cast of podcasters (often from other podcasts) isn't really working

I see Review From The Terrace is over.  I have to be honest, I started with it and then quickly got bored with it.

22 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

I see Review From The Terrace is over.  I have to be honest, I started with it and then quickly got bored with it.

Some of the contributors were dreadful and why any sentient adult is interested in talking about Friends is beyond me.

The Sked watching horror ones were good though and if this means Telfer deep diving the Baddiel Syndrome is never happening then that's genuinely heartbreaking.

34 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Some of the contributors were dreadful and why any sentient adult is interested in talking about Friends is beyond me.

The Sked watching horror ones were good though and if this means Telfer deep diving the Baddiel Syndrome is never happening then that's genuinely heartbreaking.

I enjoyed the random culture ones in the pandemic but most of what came after was pretty poor.  I really really really hated the Still Game podcast.

Edited by Highland Capital

2 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

I enjoyed the random culture ones in the pandemic but most of what came after was pretty poor.  I really really really hated the Still Game podcast.

I'll not to be too harsh given I wasn't actually paying for those ones and nobody made me listen but too many of the review ones were "overhearing a conversation in a coffee shop" vibes rather than- here is someone with any interest in or insight into the subject matter.

ETA I feel a right dick moaning about it now I've actually heard the last podcast. Hope he's OK 

Edited by invergowrie arab

• 1 month later...

I have just finished another cracking podcast from the CBC, Pressure Cooker (link). 

The CBC synopsis sums it up better than I ever could: "John and Amanda have lived on the fringes their whole lives. They’re on welfare, living with John’s grandma, and struggling with addiction to opioids and Dungeons and Dragons... The couple converts to Islam in an attempt to turn their lives around. But things take a wild turn when a mysterious figure enters their lives and draws them into a web of conspiracy, deception and terror."

A pretty incredible tale, concisely told over 5 parts (there is nothing worse than a podcast stringing out a story over 20 episodes...) - would highly recommend.

I also recently enjoyed Burn Wild from the BBC (link), about some environmental protesters that ended up on the FBI top 10 most wanted list.  Hosted by the wonderful Leah Sottile (who is the journalist that was behind the Bundyville podcasts (link) - if you haven't listened to them already and you're intrigued by America/right-wing militia/weirdness then you absolutely must).  

Finally, and a bit closer to home, really liked the Good Ship Brewdog podcast from the BBC (link), which explores the weird world of Brewdog and some of the, er... unusual actions of its founders.

Have finally binned Open Goal, Peter Crouch and a fair few others - I'm learning that it is very difficult to sustain a podcast beyond an initial couple of years and it is better to just unsubscribe than to follow them on their downward spiral...

Oh, and Chris Dawson has been sentenced to 24 years (Guardian article).  Likely that he'll never see the light of day again!

• 5 weeks later...

I listened to the Gurus podcast on BBC Sounds, where Helen Lewis discusses some of the internet guru's and sages that we periodically see - there are episodes on the Intellectual Dark Web, pick-up artists, doomers, Bitcoin enthusiasts, productivity hackers etc.  Really interesting.

This lead me to listen to the Decoding The Gurus podcast, where two academics 'decode' and analyse the thoughts of modern day gurus.  I listened to an episode they did on Jordan Peterson - it was fascinating.  I have only read about Peterson rather than read his actual books and occasionally some promoted video will pop up on my Facebook or something.  They analysed a video he did offering advice to churches.  His verbal style and 'use ten words and extended metaphors at all costs' are kind of offputting but one thing that was interesting is that they pulled out that when the bombast and verbal/intellectual showiness is stripped away the actual advice he gives is empty and facile.  After all this stuff about Marxism, Derrida and metaphors about pop culture, his advice on churches to attract young people?  Put up a poster!  

It's a good listen if you like deboonking.

23 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I listened to the Gurus podcast on BBC Sounds, where Helen Lewis discusses some of the internet guru's and sages that we periodically see - there are episodes on the Intellectual Dark Web, pick-up artists, doomers, Bitcoin enthusiasts, productivity hackers etc.  Really interesting.

This lead me to listen to the Decoding The Gurus podcast, where two academics 'decode' and analyse the thoughts of modern day gurus.  I listened to an episode they did on Jordan Peterson - it was fascinating.  I have only read about Peterson rather than read his actual books and occasionally some promoted video will pop up on my Facebook or something.  They analysed a video he did offering advice to churches.  His verbal style and 'use ten words and extended metaphors at all costs' are kind of offputting but one thing that was interesting is that they pulled out that when the bombast and verbal/intellectual showiness is stripped away the actual advice he gives is empty and facile.  After all this stuff about Marxism, Derrida and metaphors about pop culture, his advice on churches to attract young people?  Put up a poster!  

It's a good listen if you like deboonking.

I've listened to a few of the Decoding ones and find them quite interesting/the guys quite funny, although I think they ultimately struggle to go beyond the individual peculiarities of the people they're looking at. The Douglas Murray episode he mentions how popular he is with newspaper editors etc to which they are just like "yeah... that is true, and curious. anyway" when really it's much more interesting to think about why someone as disgusting as Murray is still invited to publish his horrible opinions in the mainstream, sensible publications in this country, and what that says about our culture and politics and how those things have encouraged the sort of characters they look into. Ditto the IDW figures, liberals in the Anglosphere who had been more than happy to put up with the New Atheist nonsense because they helped sell the war on terror largely welcomed the early IDW because ghouls like Harris were involved, and now it's correctly seen as an awful thing for discourse -  there's no interest in the episodes I've listened to about that. It's just dunking on them which is fun, but there's a limit to how many 3 hour long pods I can listen to about that. The anti-Alex Jones podcast Knowledge Fight or Behind the b*****ds is similar in that regard. It ultimately just comes across as smugness for me

I think there are podcasts about these types of people, like QAnon Anonymous that are much better at tying things together into a broader phenomenon, or TrueAnon which is more focussed but entertaining because of their acknowledgement that they are also mental

On 18/01/2023 at 19:57, The Naitch said:

Where There's a Will There's a Wake is a good laugh. Kathy Burke talks to her guests about their fantasy funeral plans.

I think she's better as a guest on the two other podcasts I've heard her own (Adam Buxton and I think Scroobius Pip's) but she is very likeable. Her own podcast is quite good though and it filled in the gap from my favourites because they seem to take breaks from putting out episodes over christmas and new year.

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing has ever put me off a podcast more than when I tried to introduce my Dad to the Terrace, which I had listened to for c.8 years and really enjoyed at that point, and he pointed out that none of the panel on that episode could get a sentence out, and I just can't stop noticing it now. He seems a really nice lad and knowledgeable but Duncan McKay chairing yesterday's podcast and struggling to get two consecutive words out cleanly, deary me. Craig and Shaughan on the Lower Leagues is still enjoyable but I barely listen at all anymore. Feel like it went from being a fun podcast made by 4/5 folk who were clearly pals, to a more professional, really good show, to a rotating cast of guys who are pally on twitter with not much really worth listening to. 

It's funny you should mention this.  I too have listened to the Terrace regularly for quite a long time but I'm really starting to find it a slog now.  I still really enjoy the lower league ones as they both seem to bounce off each other quite well but there's been times with the regular podcast that I'm asking myself why I'm listening to it.  There's one  person on the podcast who I just cannot take to whatsoever.

I've really struggled to get back into my usual football podcasts this season - The Terrace and Football Weekly.

I think by their nature they get repetitive - "Aren't team X good/bad", "Isn't player Y shit/great" every week to simplify things to a massive degree and I've been listening to both for years.  I might find I go back to them in time.

On 31/01/2023 at 19:03, Highland Capital said:

It's funny you should mention this.  I too have listened to the Terrace regularly for quite a long time but I'm really starting to find it a slog now.  I still really enjoy the lower league ones as they both seem to bounce off each other quite well but there's been times with the regular podcast that I'm asking myself why I'm listening to it.  There's one  person on the podcast who I just cannot take to whatsoever.

I don't know her name but there's an Aberdeen fan and all she does is interrupt to make absolutely no point. 

The lower league podcast is great, and I'm looking forward to my team being in it next year.

The main one is all hearts and hibs, which is fair enough since it's all hearts and hibs fans. They do watch the games at least, so they're usually reasonably informed. Don't really like old firm fans being on it, there's plenty of OF talk everywhere else.