Podcasts

Ludo*1

I'm really starting to struggle with the podcasts. A lot I used to listen to have now went into the "That's plenty!" category recently. Old Firm Facts, Open Goal went a long time ago. My Scottish football podcast intake is down to Off the Ball and the one with Craig Levein and Amy Irons, both are completely guest dependent.

Otherwise, I listen to every Athletico Mince and gossipmongers.

New series of Alan Partridge from the Oasthouse is along later in the year, costs money though. An audiobook parading as a podcast. I enjoy it and consider it worth the money though.

5 hours ago, ShaggysBeard said:

I'm really starting to struggle with the podcasts. A lot I used to listen to have now went into the "That's plenty!" category recently. Old Firm Facts, Open Goal went a long time ago. My Scottish football podcast intake is down to Off the Ball and the one with Craig Levein and Amy Irons, both are completely guest dependent.

Likewise. For a while I listened every week to Open Goal, The Terrace, Football Daft but I'd say since March time I got fed up of the same voices making the same 'jokes' so I decided to give myself a break from them. Can't say I've missed them much. 

I like Sacked in the morning but its very much guest dependent.

I don't mind Parenting Hell with Rob Beckett and Josh Widdecombe or Sh*gged Married Annoyed with Chris & Rosie Ramsay but again very much I listen to them if I'm in the mood to, I don't actively look for them

13 hours ago, ShaggysBeard said:

I'm really starting to struggle with the podcasts. A lot I used to listen to have now went into the "That's plenty!" category recently. Old Firm Facts, Open Goal went a long time ago.

My Scottish football podcast intake is down to Off the Ball and the one with Craig Levein and Amy Irons, both are completely guest dependent.

I know what you mean - I have the feeling that the COVID lockdowns increased the number of podcasts, but decreased the number of stories to tell... and the result is now we are stuck with a huge number of mediocre podcasts.

Open Goal interviews remain enjoyable, in my eyes, but the "banter" on the other episodes is painful at times.  I'm persevering because I am interested to see what happens with Si Ferry taking over as manager at Broomhill.

You aren't missing much with Old Firm Facts - his recent David Goodwillie episode was particularly poorly researched and biased.  If I didn't commute 3 hours each day there is no way it would still be on my list.

I still listen to the Sportsound podcast, but it is very hit and miss - the guests are the same ex-players that have been doing the show for the last decade, and also recently there seems to be far less editing and much more just dumping a 90 minute section of the show into podcast format. 

8 hours ago, FK1Bairn said:

I like Sacked in the morning but its very much guest dependent.

I don't mind Parenting Hell with Rob Beckett and Josh Widdecombe or Sh*gged Married Annoyed with Chris & Rosie Ramsay but again very much I listen to them if I'm in the mood to, I don't actively look for them

The first season of Sacked in the Morning was really interesting, but I've not been nearly as impressed by the second season - Amy Irons is really good, but Levein really lacks enthusiasm and the level of guest is falling week on week.  

I still listen to Quickly Kevin with Josh Widdecombe - it has some very funny bits.  But I'm not convinced there is all that much more to do with 90s English football without becoming repetitive...

I've said "that's plenty" to The Terrace altogether - it started off really good, but found it an absolute drag this season and since unsubscribing I really have not missed it. 
I'm getting very close to "that's plenty" with both That Peter Crouch Podcast and Old Firm Facts...

That Tiffany dover is dead podcast. Oh my fucking god, that fuckwit she meets in episode 3 is a big insight into how conspiracy theorists think and how dangerous they can be, but why they do it.

• 4 weeks later...
On 22/03/2022 at 13:23, 101 said:

Enjoying The Rest is Politics with Alastair Campbell and Rory Stewart, only listened to the first and half of the second but I think they are good foils for each other despite me not being politically aligned with either of them.

This has been my main non-fitba podcast in the last couple of months.  Other than that and a bit of personal finance and history it's mainly fitba stuff - The Terrace, ABZ football, the Ramble and Guardian Football Weekly (although I avoid the last two when there's an international tournament on, until England get knocked out of course).  

• 5 weeks later...
On 21/07/2022 at 21:19, resk said:

This has been my main non-fitba podcast in the last couple of months.  Other than that and a bit of personal finance and history it's mainly fitba stuff - The Terrace, ABZ football, the Ramble and Guardian Football Weekly (although I avoid the last two when there's an international tournament on, until England get knocked out of course).  

Thoroughly enjoying the rest is politics podcast.  

Other than that still have Adam Buxton.  Undr the cosh is quite good, some decent guests they have.

The cricket analyst is decent for those who like Cricket and for medical shit the Primary Care knowledge boost has a good back catalogue.

Open goal is now not something I can listen to.  Dreadful "banter" Slane is particular is dreadful and as for their little project at Broomhill...

Always looking for recommendations though.

The Rest is History podcast with Tom Holland and Dominic Sandbrook is excellent. They don't take themselves seriously at all, which is crucial because Sandbrook's batshit mental, right-wing politics would impinge on the content otherwise. 

Edited by vikingTON

• 3 weeks later...

There’s a five part true crime (split into nine episodes) series on Audible for free (if you have a subscription. There are always free trials on offer if you don’t. James Ellroy (if you’re not familiar he’s the guy behind noir thrillers such as The Black Dahlia and LA Confidential) looks at true crime cases and adds his own grotty, grimey narration. 

Maybe closer in style to an audiobook than a regular podcast. If you like his books it’s pretty much one of them but the characters are real. There are sound effects in the background as the crimes play out.

Very similar narrative style to the Hush Hush newspaper reports in LA Confidential. 

His mum was murdered when he was just a young boy and the first episode goes back to her unsolved killing. 

Two muppets getting drunk and reading the wiki page of a crime this is not. 

Secretly Incredibly Fascinating is a decent one for commutes, by one of the guys who was part of Cracked when it was good. https://sifpod.podbean.com/

Hardcore History is great, but the episodes are 4 hours long and it can be a while between series. There's a decent back catalog though. https://www.dancarlin.com/hardcore-history-series/

Crash bang wallop was a good one about disasters, but one of the presenters died while the show was in it's prime.

Football Cliche’s podcast is pretty funny and take great pleasure in ripping the piss out of Keys and Gray.

Have listened to a lot of Noiser podcasts and there is some excellent stuff on there including ‘Real Dictators’ and ‘Real Narcos’. If you’re looking for a quicker podcast the ‘Short history of’ also by Noiser covers a broad range of historical events.

I'm finding the Terrace a bit of a slog. With the TV show and "Review from the Terrace" podcasts they really seem to be stretching themselves thin, especially the Premiership ones, and the rotating cast of podcasters (often from other podcasts) isn't really working

Lower League ones are still good, however they're essentially "Tell Him He's Pele" on audiobook. 

Edited by The Wrong Car

48 minutes ago, The Wrong Car said:

I'm finding the Terrace a bit of a slog. With the TV show and "Review from the Terrace" podcasts they really seem to be stretching themselves thin, especially the Premiership ones, and the rotating cast of podcasters (often from other podcasts) isn't really working

They've brought in Celtic and Rangers fans now.  TBF they are still pretty knowledgeable about other clubs but in the podcast the other week they talked about Celtic v Rangers for 30 minutes and the other five Premiership matches for about 50 minutes, which basically puts them alongside Sportsound in terms of balance.  It's still the best Scottish fitba coverage by miles though.  

1 hour ago, resk said:

They've brought in Celtic and Rangers fans now.  TBF they are still pretty knowledgeable about other clubs but in the podcast the other week they talked about Celtic v Rangers for 30 minutes and the other five Premiership matches for about 50 minutes, which basically puts them alongside Sportsound in terms of balance.  It's still the best Scottish fitba coverage by miles though.  

Aye, I agree that it's far ahead of other Scottish Football podcasts, however it's definitely shifted more towards Super Scoreboard territory. Given that it seemed to start as a podcast focusing on non-OF teams it's fairly disappointing to see, especially since they seemed to have generally stick to fairly shallow views of these teams (excluding Hearts) 

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/12/2018 at 16:23, ICTChris said:

Going to start The Teachers Pet, about a noncy Murderer in Australia.

On 05/12/2018 at 16:29, MSU said:

It’s very good. 

On 05/12/2018 at 22:15, die hard doonhamer said:

I'm about half way through it. It really is excellent.

On 05/12/2018 at 22:24, killiefan27 said:

Can only agree about The Teacher's Pet.

Listening to series 2 of Slow Burn now. First, about Watergate, was excellent.

On 07/12/2018 at 00:11, scotfree said:

I listened to the first 7 episodes yesterday while working. A brilliant podcast, which is even better once you know the outcome of the whole thing. I bet there are a few teachers from a few schools in Sydney that are shitting it after some of the things that have been brought out...  

I forgot to update and didn't see anyone else post it but Chris Dawson was convicted of Lynette's murder last month.

What an utterly contemptible crime.  

There was a podcast series covering the trial - The Teacher's Trial and it's still available.

Edited by ICTChris

On 04/10/2022 at 19:21, ICTChris said:

I forgot to update and didn't see anyone else post it but Chris Dawson was convicted of Lynette's murder last month.

What an utterly contemptible crime.  

There was a podcast series covering the trial - The Teacher's Trial and it's still available.

The Teacher's Trial and in particular The Teacher's Pet are both absolutely fantastic listens - the trial summaries sometimes dragged on a bit, but that aside they were both well worth a listen.  With my legal hat on, I do have some serious concerns that the podcast may assist in an appeal, right enough... 

The Australian is not quite the CBC, but it is not a million miles off it - Who the hell is Hamish?, Night Driver and The Lighthouse were all very good too (and that is coming from someone who has never set foot in Australia so hasn't a clue about the locations discussed).