Podcasts

Ludo*1

56 minutes ago, Funky Nosejob said:

BBC decide to make most of their podcasts, including the topical Friday Night Comedy, only available from their BBC Sounds app. If you get them elsewhere, you’ll have to wait 28 days. 
https://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2022/01/27/50058/bbc-pulls-its-friday-night-comedy-podcasts-from-apple-and-google
Can’t help but think this is a massive mistake.

Aye that's lunacy. I like the news quiz etc but am I going to go to the trouble of switching to BBC Sounds as opposed to it just appearing on my podcast app? No. 

• 1 month later...

Kermode and Mayo’s film show ending on 5 Live in a few weeks. Sounds like they’re taking it (and the “wittertainment” Twitter handle) elsewhere. I hope 5 Live sign up a couple of replacements as the stand-ins were often better than Kermode and Mayo. 

17 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Kermode and Mayo’s film show ending on 5 Live in a few weeks. Sounds like they’re taking it (and the “wittertainment” Twitter handle) elsewhere. I hope 5 Live sign up a couple of replacements as the stand-ins were often better than Kermode and Mayo. 

Not massively disappointed by this. I like Kermode, but Mayo is an insufferable arsehole.

Robbie Collin on full time would be good, either Doc Brown or Edith with him are usually excellent.

20 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Think I would've been more disappointed in this five years ago. Still, Kermode and Mayo were pretty much my gateway into podcasts (along with Armstrong and Miller's Timeghost). Maybe the shift to the independent format will restore it back to being predominantly about film and not the cult of the show.

15 minutes ago, MSU said:

Think I would've been more disappointed in this five years ago. Still, Kermode and Mayo were pretty much my gateway into podcasts (along with Armstrong and Miller's Timeghost). Maybe the shift to the independent format will restore it back to being predominantly about film and not the cult of the show.

The rise of podcasts makes it feel a bit outdated to be a show at the mercy of news, horse racing etc too. 

On 17/03/2022 at 19:39, Clown Job said:

I used to enjoy listening to Stuart Cosgrove podcast, but it’s now behind a paywall and I don’t like it that much. 

I understand putting some stuff on Patreon but to put essentially the entire show on there was madness.  I really enjoyed the podcast, but I won't be subscribing.  Would be interesting to know how many listeners have moved over to it on the new platform (I predict not many).

On 14/02/2022 at 17:46, EH75 said:

Aye that's lunacy. I like the news quiz etc but am I going to go to the trouble of switching to BBC Sounds as opposed to it just appearing on my podcast app? No. 

Never having subscribed to podcasts it seems ridiculously easy to find on Sounds.

Enjoying The Rest is Politics with Alastair Campbell and Rory Stewart, only listened to the first and half of the second but I think they are good foils for each other despite me not being politically aligned with either of them.

On 14/02/2022 at 17:46, EH75 said:

BBC Sounds is so simple to use, that I use it all the time.

• 4 weeks later...

"My New Football Club" with Joe Wilkinson and David Earl. Started listening to this the other week and don’t think I have ever laughed so much at a podcast. Enjoyed the pair of them doing Gossipmongers and Chatabix and this hasn’t disappointed in the slightest. David Earl is a Man United “supporter” but has moved down to Devon so decided to follow Exeter. The pair of them self-admit they don’t have the greatest knowledge of football, but that makes it all the better. There is an episode with Henning Wehn which still has me in creases. Well worth a listen.

• 3 weeks later...

The new Kermode and Mayo show out today. Main episode free but £3.49pm for a second show. 

Weird that bbc radio 5Live didn’t even mention them leaving or mention plans for a new show. They just quietly shuffled the schedule.  Weird as the stand-ins were usually such an improvement and it was a chance for a new show with fresh input. 

On 20/04/2022 at 08:26, LondonHMFC said:

"My New Football Club" with Joe Wilkinson and David Earl. Started listening to this the other week and don’t think I have ever laughed so much at a podcast. Enjoyed the pair of them doing Gossipmongers and Chatabix and this hasn’t disappointed in the slightest. David Earl is a Man United “supporter” but has moved down to Devon so decided to follow Exeter. The pair of them self-admit they don’t have the greatest knowledge of football, but that makes it all the better. There is an episode with Henning Wehn which still has me in creases. Well worth a listen.

Gave this a go based off your post and it's brilliant. Was missing a comedy style football podcast since Athletico Mince has slowed down a bit.

Henning Wehn and Craig Cash episodes in particular had me in bits.

Will need to give their other podcasts a go one I'm caught up with this one.

Listened to sports strangest crimes. The first one is about the Notts County take over where they got Sven in. I never bothered with the cricket one and there is another about Shergar which is good, if you can get past Vanilla Ice narrating it.

Listened to sports strangest crimes. The first one is about the Notts County take over where they got Sven in. I never bothered with the cricket one and there is another about Shergar which is good, if you can get past Vanilla Ice narrating it.

The cricket one is an absolutely crazy story that you don’t need to be even vaguely interested in cricket to find interesting

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bump

I don't normally listen to their show but I was recommended the 2 Johnnies Podcast recent 'GAA Catfish' episodes. Sure enough it is an absolutely bonkers and really quite sinister story.

Have any P+B members ever been Cat-fished or been a catfish themselves?

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/02/2022 at 12:48, arab_joe said:

Another good listen is NBC's American Radical - short but very interesting look at one of the people who attended the January 6 insurection.

I've recently enjoyed another couple of podcasts on a similar theme:

Tiffany Dover Is Dead - a fascinating look at a conspiracy theory surrounding a nurse that feinted after getting the COVID vaccine live on TV.

Will Be Wild - a really interesting look at a case where a boy called the FBI on his own father, concerned about what he was going to do on January 6.

Would highly recommend both!

On 14/02/2022 at 00:59, Highland Capital said:

I’m afraid I’m close to saying “That’s Plenty” to Review From The Terrace.

I've said "that's plenty" to The Terrace altogether - it started off really good, but found it an absolute drag this season and since unsubscribing I really have not missed it. 

I'm getting very close to "that's plenty" with both That Peter Crouch Podcast and Old Firm Facts...