Podcasts

Ludo*1

19 hours ago, NotThePars said:

The Always Sunny boys have a podcast going through the episodes 

Is it any good? Never been able to stick a rewatch with people involved for some reason. The scrubs one, both the office ones and the Steve Schrippa and Michael imperioli sopranos got binned after a few episodes

2 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Is it any good? Never been able to stick a rewatch with people involved for some reason. The scrubs one, both the office ones and the Steve Schrippa and Michael imperioli sopranos got binned after a few episodes

Only listened to the first episode but enjoyed it aye. It's a bit of a lazier look through each episode I think. Some people might have a head's gone at them acknowledging which parts of the show haven't aged well though.

Helps that all three are naturally very funny and get on with each other.

If you’re missing Shaun Keaveney from the radio he has a podcast that’s a rip off of Off Menu (he even calls himself a genie!) and Films to be Buried With. Can be alright, depending who is on it. Bobby Gillespie has a good anecdote for any Led Zoe geeks. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

John Alite. 

Another ex mob guy but totally different to the rockets like Franseze. You'll hear story after story of him hurting guys who called the grasses a grass because he never thought they were. He openly admits he's as thick as shit. He comes across as a great laugh but really, really aggressive. Highly recommend. 

On 18/12/2021 at 21:53, BucksburnDandy said:
On 18/12/2021 at 19:37, Highland Capital said:
Sorry to hear that TalkMedia with Stuart Cosgrove and Eamonn O'Neal has gone behind the paywall.  I enjoyed it every week but I won't be subscribing.

Fully agreed with this. Enjoyed it but I don't have the cash to pay for it behind a paywall

I find the move to paywalls to be quite odd. The model is completely different to movie streaming services in that regular podcast listeners tend to listen to a varied selection of podcasts across the spectrum that make it impossible to get value for money through a subscription - either through a host that covers a lot of podcasts such as The Athletic (but in the same genre), or in the case of Talk Media, or Athletico Mince, or Wrestle Me to name some I used to dabble in, through Patreon with a monthly subscription fee per podcast. A host that covers a wide area of podcasts such as Stitcher will not include a large number of podcasts that regular downloaders return to. 

I don't see how anyone would wish to or could justify £20-£30 a month in various podcast subscriptions. The fact more and more are moving that way suggests the business model does indeed work or at least currently works, but I wonder if subscribers are prioritising what they listen to and/or compromising on quality. 

It'll be interesting to see how long TalkMedia lasts behind the paywall.  I understand why some podcasts put stuff behind the paywall but to put it entirely on Patreon just seems bonkers.  There's no chance their audience will grow with this decision but I can only imagine they've decided to cut off a large percentage to make a little more out of the few that do sign up.  

• 4 weeks later...

David Ridgen has a new season of The Next Call out, about the murder of a Métis woman in Calgary, didn't realise until today a new season had started. 

On the last episode of CBC's White Hot Hate podcast, good listen about a white supremacist group called The Base, weirdoes to a man.  

This is quite dece - summarises how all the 4Chan, QAnon stuff emerged into the public consciousness, covering the rise of Trump etc.....some interviews with people who may be categorised as fuckin wingnuts.

Good if you like that sort of thing.

There’s a good podcast out about a big Chicago mafia, called Deep Cover: Mob Land. It’s about the Bob Cooley case, Cooley was a Chicago lawyer who was a fixer for the mob and infamously fixed the murder trial of an outfit hitman in the 1970s. He eventually co/operated and took down the majority of the Chicago Outfies political connections in the late 80s and early 90s.

Good stories about a era that isn’t covered as well as a lot of the organised crime books and podcasts. Full of guys who look like this

image.gif.c40ae3153da283e5ca8b6c47c211a8ce.gif

• 2 weeks later...

The folk behind serial have come out with a new podcast, The Trojan Horse Affair, investigating the Trojan Horse schools story in Birmingham and specifically who wrote the letter which sparked it all off. 

A couple of episodes in and it's very good so far, firstly in demonstrating that despite our tendency to make fun of China or North Korea in that the letter, and concept generally, this is very obviously and well understood as a hoax yet if you suggest anything other than the Trojan Horse scandal was completely real you run the risk of being punted out of public life. Far from people being terrified of upsetting Muslims the officials they speak to seem terrified to suggest anything further about it being made up than "genuine concerns were raised". And none seem interested in where the letter came from, despite the journalists knitting it together very convincingly in their first week of investigating. 

Hosted by the guy who did the S town podcast and a young British Asian journalism student. Worth a listen, moving along a lot quicker than a lot of other pods of this type 

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan

On 25/01/2022 at 19:08, Torpar said:

David Ridgen has a new season of The Next Call out, about the murder of a Métis woman in Calgary, didn't realise until today a new season had started. 

On the last episode of CBC's White Hot Hate podcast, good listen about a white supremacist group called The Base, weirdoes to a man.  

The Next Call is very good, if slightly less gripping than Someone Knows Something.

I thought that White Hot Hate was excellent - as is Boys Like Me, which I finished this morning on the way to work (a look at the incel community and the 2018 Toronto van attack). 

CBC podcasts are absolutely exceptional - never been so proud to be of Canadian descent! 

On 26/01/2022 at 19:35, Leith Green said:

This is quite dece - summarises how all the 4Chan, QAnon stuff emerged into the public consciousness, covering the rise of Trump etc.....some interviews with people who may be categorised as fuckin wingnuts.

Good if you like that sort of thing.

Thanks for bringing this one up - I thought it was really good, and actually provided a bit of balance to try to show why people might be tempted to follow things that are objectively "nuts".

Another good listen is NBC's American Radical - short but very interesting look at one of the people who attended the January 6 insurection.

27 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Hosted by the guy who did the S town podcast and a young British Asian journalism student. Worth a listen, moving along a lot quicker than a lot of other pods of this type 

S Town is still one of the finest podcasts ever made, in my eyes - can't wait to listen to Trojan Horse.

• 2 weeks later...

BBC decide to make most of their podcasts, including the topical Friday Night Comedy, only available from their BBC Sounds app. If you get them elsewhere, you’ll have to wait 28 days. 
https://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2022/01/27/50058/bbc-pulls-its-friday-night-comedy-podcasts-from-apple-and-google
Can’t help but think this is a massive mistake.