Podcasts

Ludo*1

11 minutes ago, MSU said:

RHLSTP -- I didn't think I was much of a Sara Pascoe fan but I enjoyed her LadsLadsLads show and she's pretty great on RHLSTP this week.

Redhanded -- Been trying to find a great true crime podcast and this isn't it. Two English lassies talk about famous and not so famous murder cases. I'm not prudish in any way, but their forced swearing and pointless banter really take away from the effort they put into their research. Also, for a couple who spend so much time reading notes, they really are awful at reading out their patron's names. It's like a wanna be My Favorite Murder. All this said, their latest episode about the Delhi rape case was well done.

Really like Sara Pascoe, thought she was superb on TaskMaster. Quite enjoyed her Sex, Power & Money podcast as well. 

Not listened to Redhanded, but your comment regarding presenters reminded me of 'Last Podcast On The Left'. Think it is done by three American men, and whilst they cover some really interesting topics, one of the guys always tries to impersonate the person they are talking about. They did a really good 4 part series on Jack The Ripper, but the bloke insisted on doing this silly Cockney accent, which ruined the whole thing. 

4 minutes ago, LondonHMFC said:

Really like Sara Pascoe, thought she was superb on TaskMaster. Quite enjoyed her Sex, Power & Money podcast as well. 

Not listened to Redhanded, but your comment regarding presenters reminded me of 'Last Podcast On The Left'. Think it is done by three American men, and whilst they cover some really interesting topics, one of the guys always tries to impersonate the person they are talking about. They did a really good 4 part series on Jack The Ripper, but the bloke insisted on doing this silly Cockney accent, which ruined the whole thing. 

The guys from Last Podcast on the Left are insufferable. I've tried getting into it three times now and, each time, had to ditch it because of those wallopers.

Last Podcast on the Left make $58,000 a month just from their Patreon. I have no idea why. Similarly, Redhanded make $20,000. My Spongebob podcast makes $7. No justice in the world.

35 minutes ago, MSU said:

Last Podcast on the Left make $58,000 a month just from their Patreon. I have no idea why. Similarly, Redhanded make $20,000. My Spongebob podcast makes $7. No justice in the world.

Jesus Christ. Had no idea they were that popular. 

Just now, LondonHMFC said:

Jesus Christ. Had no idea they were that popular. 

Mindblowing, isn't it? And this is before you add what they must be making selling ads for MeUndies or SquareSpace.

7 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

I often listen to podcasts and think their advertisers are seriously misjudging how often I need to hire staff for things.

The ads on mine are making me hate Hazel Irvine. Don't even know what she's advertising but whoever wrote the brutal ad should be given 20 lashes. 

Think it was Stewart Lee who I first heard talking about how to make it if your main product is content. If you can get 10,000 fans and convince them to give you $10 a year, you can probably make a living from that. The Patreon model is to have many people donating small amount every month, which is how the likes of Redhanded can make $20k a month -- get somewhere between 3,000 to 5,000 listeners and convince them to donate $5 or $10 a month for extra content they probably wouldn't miss. It's kinda genius when you think about it. You don't have to be that popular, you don't need millions of viewers to make a comfortable living for doing something you love.

11 minutes ago, MSU said:

Think it was Stewart Lee who I first heard talking about how to make it if your main product is content. If you can get 10,000 fans and convince them to give you $10 a year, you can probably make a living from that. The Patreon model is to have many people donating small amount every month, which is how the likes of Redhanded can make $20k a month -- get somewhere between 3,000 to 5,000 listeners and convince them to donate $5 or $10 a month for extra content they probably wouldn't miss. It's kinda genius when you think about it. You don't have to be that popular, you don't need millions of viewers to make a comfortable living for doing something you love.

Ad revenue is where it's at. You're looking at about $25 per 1,000 listeners for a 60 second advert.

Hotboxin is a show that sounds like a trippy dream and I find myself double-checking the phone to make sure it's real and not the result of brain damage from a misspent youth. Mike Tyson gets stoned smoking toad venom and sort of speaks to some guests, assisted by a more traditional host/presenter (a former NFL player). Mike might go 15 minutes without talking, then interject to promote the spiritual benefits of smoking the toad, or pour his heart out, then let the guest carry on. A recent one with Evander Holyfield (there's only the occasional boxer on it - more a mix of celebs, crooks and rappers) shows Holyfield as a cracking raconteur. His mum sounds like a fantastic woman and you can see Tyson is both delighted at listening to Holyfield but also a wee bit uncomfortable given his own brutal childhood. 

5 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

Joe Rogan makes about $30m a year from podcasts

Have watched the odd episode over the years but didn't realise until i had a look on his channel the other day that he does about 5 shows a week, sometimes 3 in a single day which i find completely mental, do folk actually keep up to date with his stuff or just dip in and out?  Either way i find him a bit insufferable at times, know it's a bit of a cliche with him but i really can't hack all the stoner type chat. 

Started listening to Conflicted off the back of seeing it mentioned here, really interesting so far. 

49 minutes ago, Fratelli said:

Either way i find him a bit insufferable at times, know it's a bit of a cliche with him but i really can't hack all the stoner type chat. . 

Always struggles to accept other people's view point which fucked me off. Not listened to him in ages, but he did a couple with Steve O from Jackass which were pretty good. 

Joe Rogan gets some great guests on but I only listen to the ones that catch my eye. A lot of it is MMA nonsense which I have no interest in. 

Been catching up on the open goal interviews recently. The Gordon Smart one was particularly good. He's led an interesting life! Confirming that Edgar Davids is a c**t (which I think most people knew anyway).

Tremendous recommendation. I've just binge-listened the first 6 episodes since I read this post yesterday. 
Aimen Dean is an ex-Al Qaeda member turned double agent who tells some fascinating stories from pre 9/11 up to the present day as well as some ancient and modern history lessons on the Middle East and Islam. Cracking listen. 

Yeah it’s great. Gave me a very different understanding of Saudi Arabia in particular. Think I’m going to re listen to a few as it’s an awful lot of information at once!

I have a few that I listen to regularly. There are the ones that I don't need to say anything about like The Terrace etc.

Others I am currently enjoying are:

You're Dead to Me - Taking a historic event or person and getting a historian and comedian to talk about it. Easy listening and informative.

We have ways of making you talk: WW2 podcast with James Holland and Al Murray. I do not find Al Murray funny as the pub landlord but this is again informative and light hearted on a very large topic.

Also been listing to lots of NFL podcasts and stuff from the ringer too.

On ‎06‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 22:00, EH75 said:

Been catching up on the open goal interviews recently. The Gordon Smart one was particularly good. He's led an interesting life! Confirming that Edgar Davids is a c**t (which I think most people knew anyway).

Yeah I really enjoyed that. Some really good stories.