Podcasts

Ludo*1

Have just listened to a four part series on Jack The Ripper on the Last Podcast On The Left. 

Quite an interesting listen, but by f**k the accent one of the guys puts on at any given moment to try and be a cockney is excruciating. 

Also, Dark Windows did a really good one about the killer Israel Keyes, I hadn't actually heard about him before, so was taken in by it massively. Again the only thing to let it down was one of the presenters continuously calling the guy a "cocksucker" or a "CS" for short. 

Surprised myself and found some of the True Geordie one's quite interesting, all of the interviews he has done with Shaun Atwood have been really good, however his best and one I'd advise most to listen to is "Addict To Activist: The man with 9 lives" where he talks to a guy from the East End of London who got into Heroin before turning his life round.  

13 hours ago, LondonHMFC said:

Have just listened to a four part series on Jack The Ripper on the Last Podcast On The Left. 

Quite an interesting listen, but by f**k the accent one of the guys puts on at any given moment to try and be a cockney is excruciating. 

Have a listen to the one about Dennis Nilsen, it's absolutely hilarious listening to them try to pronounce Scottish place names and talk about Doric.

3 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Have a listen to the one about Dennis Nilsen, it's absolutely hilarious listening to them try to pronounce Scottish place names and talk about Doric.

Will give that a listen to. The Jack The Ripper one was pretty informative. Just needed to give the accent a rest.

• 2 weeks later...

The lasted Terrace Podcast is a lower league love-in with special guest Danny Denholm (recently on Tell Him He’s Pele). Very funny, very down to earth (C. Mr. B. Limond). Really good episode though and possibly a handy guide for a coupon this weekend...

1 hour ago, NJ2 said:

The lasted Terrace Podcast is a lower league love-in with special guest Danny Denholm (recently on Tell Him He’s Pele). Very funny, very down to earth (C. Mr. B. Limond). Really good episode though and possibly a handy guide for a coupon this weekend...

Listened to this on my commute this morning. Great stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Trampled Bat has expanded its line up and launched Trampled Bet, a weekly 30 mins about football betting. Alas, people who've seen my posts will know I know less about betting than I do even about football so I'm not on it! Thought some of you might be interested.

Website  |  iTunes  |  Acast  |  Stitcher

39300742_10204755707930597_4024830959936

Teacher’s Pet — made by The Australian (who P&B quizzers will be familiar with) have a cracking true crime series. In 1982, a teacher had an affair with a pupil. She moved into the house and his wife went missing. The fact that no one questioned any of this at the time is incredible. 

• 3 weeks later...

Been listening to Malcolm Gladwell's Revisionist History. I'd always dodged it as the title made me think it was going to be some kind of David Starkey-esque pile of pretentious pish about history but what a delight to discover I couldn't have been more wrong. Gladwell starts each show looking at someone or something leftfield. It could be Harry Enfield's Loadsamoney, it could be an ice hockey game, then he starts to weave in it's relevance to a particular human phenomenon or experience. It's not really anything to do with history at all, just interesting, playful yet thought-provoking interviews and chat. 

He's a bit like a cross between Prof. Brian Cox, meets Louis Theroux, meets Jon Ronson - that mask of wide-eyed innocence but slyly feeding people the rope with which to hang themselves. 

http://revisionisthistory.com/about

Couple weeks back started listening to "You Me & The Big C" podcast which has been in the news of late. Rachael Bland, Deborah James and Lauren Mahon discuss their own dealings with cancer. Unfortunately Rachael passed away on Wednesday after her battle. 

I've luckily had very little dealings with cancer in my life, my Grandad had bowel cancer but overcame it, and my best friends Mum died of breast cancer. However for some reason I find that the podcast really resonates with me. I felt really gutted about the news with Rachael, really put me down, and still do feel a bit devastated about it. 

The podcast is incredibly informative, dispelling many myths, and at times very emotional, but they all have a very good sense of humour and it flows well.

Won't be for many, but I cannot recommend it highly enough. 

• 1 month later...

Clinical Psychologist Jordan Peterson talks with some trainers and young boxers at a boxing club about their experiences getting their shit together.

Edited by banana

On 14/07/2018 at 21:33, Latino Lover said:

In amongst all the World Cup ones I’ve been right into casefile lately, the later ones with the anonymous host and creepy music are great, listened to an early one about This the other day which was equally eerie and riveting.  

Started listening to this today based on your sound advice, sir. 

Very good. 

Danny Denholm has started his own podcast to go hand in hand with his blogs and the first episode was excellent.

Him ripping the pish out of Andy Munro for being thick was a great laugh and all the guy's on it were very likeable and down to earth.

It's called Lower League Ramblings if anyone wants to listen.

9 hours ago, Nadroj said:

Danny Denholm has started his own podcast to go hand in hand with his blogs and the first episode was excellent.

Him ripping the pish out of Andy Munro for being thick was a great laugh and all the guy's on it were very likeable and down to earth.

It's called Lower League Ramblings if anyone wants to listen.

I'll give this a wee go. He was very good as a guest on another podcast I listened to where he previewed the current season.