Podcasts

Ludo*1

S-Town -- from the makers of This American Life and Serial, a seven-parter true investigation that's been released in one go today. A guy from Woodstock, Alabama (the Shittown of the title) gets in touch with a reporter to investigate rumours of a covered up murder in his small town. Of course, the story goes off wildly in other directions. Four episodes in and it's compelling stuff.

2 hours ago, MSU said:

S-Town -- from the makers of This American Life and Serial, a seven-parter true investigation that's been released in one go today. A guy from Woodstock, Alabama (the Shittown of the title) gets in touch with a reporter to investigate rumours of a covered up murder in his small town. Of course, the story goes off wildly in other directions. Four episodes in and it's compelling stuff.

Really looking forward to this one. Is it as good as serial?

1 minute ago, richDFC said:

Really looking forward to this one. Is it as good as serial?

It's maybe not quite up there. However, I've been listening to it all day so it must be doing something right :)

Really memorable characters, shows the good and bad of small town life, the alliances and feuds and mysteries.

2 hours ago, MSU said:

On a similar vein, Untold: The Daniel Morgan Murder.  It's about the unsolved murder of a private investigator, in which the red tops play an absolutely abhorrent role.  Cross between crime investigation, justice campaign and Private Eye style revelations.

4 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

On a similar vein, Untold: The Daniel Morgan Murder.  It's about the unsolved murder of a private investigator, in which the red tops play an absolutely abhorrent role.  Cross between crime investigation, justice campaign and Private Eye style revelations.

Sounds interesting. Subscribed!

Finished listening to S-Town. Not quite what I expected after listening to the preview as it does go off in a completely different direction. However, it is very well crafted and kept me captivated for 7 hours or so.

24 minutes ago, GingerSaint said:

Finished listening to S-Town. Not quite what I expected after listening to the preview as it does go off in a completely different direction. However, it is very well crafted and kept me captivated for 7 hours or so.

I absolutely agree. I loved the tangent it took in episodes 2 and 3, and then it became something different leading up to the end. As you say, though, it's crafted so well and the story is told so effortlessly, it's hard not to just be carried along by it.

I've been to Alabama once. I have no plans to return.

The maze looks fucking incredible. 

https://www.google.com/maps/place/33°12'08.9"N+87°07'52.1"W/@33.202464,-87.1318085,266m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d33.202464!4d-87.131145

If you like your history, Dan Carlin's Hardcore History, as mentioned earlier in this thread, I would recommend. Episodes last 3 hours plus. So it allows proper development of the events that have changed and shaped the world we live in today.

• 1 month later...

Russell Brand's new(ish) Radio X podcast is pretty funny (and long too). Has the occasional good story about his wilder days and gets the piss ripped out of him by his co-host and some guests. Much more lighthearted and knockabout than his Under The Skin podcast.

• 1 month later...

I regularly listen to the Joe Rogan Experience. He has a variety of people on and the majority last about 2/3 hours. I'd recommend listening to the Randall Carlson ones, he's a geologist who has done research on the claim that an asteroid hit us 10 000 odd years ago. It will scare the shit out of you but it's great 

3 hours ago, stuartsmfc said:

I regularly listen to the Joe Rogan Experience. He has a variety of people on and the majority last about 2/3 hours. I'd recommend listening to the Randall Carlson ones, he's a geologist who has done research on the claim that an asteroid hit us 10 000 odd years ago. It will scare the shit out of you but it's great 

The length of each episode puts me off. I struggle to get through my podcasts as it is. Did listen to the Neil deGrasse Tyson episode(s) as he's just fantastic.

BBC Five Live have had a bash at a Serial-esque true crime podcast called Beyond Reasonable Doubt. This collection is about a guy who may or may not have killed his wife Hard to put my finger on why it doesn't really work, but Chris Warburton's bland presentation doesn't help and for the first few episodes I wasn't sure if it was real or if it was acted out. Ira Glass presumably not losing any sleep over this.