meadow looking for new manager

meadow30

Hurlford a big Ayrshire team??? They spent years getting pumped every single week when I was growing up, granted now there a team who should be challenging every season for cups but there not a BIG Ayrshire team

Who said Hurlford were a big Ayrshire team?

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the early 90s Glenafton reached 3 Scottish finals - winning one that's why in my mind I have always had them as one of the top Ayrshire sides in my time watching Pollok.

I would put Kilwinning in the same group as Beith, Kilbirnie, Largs, Hurford.

Glenafton had a great team and record back then for sure and the great all conquering buffs team were also right in about the scottish cup business end too , in 1998 when arthurlie beat pollok 4-0 in the final ( sorry for bringing it up) they only defeated the excellent buffs team in the semi on penalties at love street .

Rewind a little to 93/94 and Likewise the year largs beat glenafton at ibrox to win the Scottish cup they defeated the great buffs team narrowly 1-0 at Somersett in the semi final of the Scottish cup and buffs were always about the general vicinity of Scottish cup success and they of course had their moment when they beat Kelty hearts in the final possibly 1999 although I could be wrong .

Buffs of course won the super premier league and everything else that was on the menu in this period and for me they're a bigger Ayrshire name than glenafton although the glens under rough were a brilliant team.

Buffs from 93/94 right up until 1999 when they eventually won it were sniffing about success and collecting it through numerous avenues and for me were definately genuine top 5 biggest Ayrshire teams for me all my days .

Sorry in the group below the big 4 then,they shouldn't even be there if your going by your previous comment of watching for 30 years

The 5 teams i mention after Talbot etc, are clubs that have had some form of success or on the fringes of success in that period of time. They go through cycles so deserve a mention IMO

Glenafton had a great team and record back then for sure and the great all conquering buffs team were also right in about the scottish cup business end too , in 1998 when arthurlie beat pollok 4-0 in the final ( sorry for bringing it up) they only defeated the excellent buffs team in the semi on penalties at love street .

Rewind a little to 93/94 and Likewise the year largs beat glenafton at ibrox to win the Scottish cup they defeated the great buffs team narrowly 1-0 at Somersett in the semi final of the Scottish cup and buffs were always about the general vicinity of Scottish cup success and they of course had their moment when they beat Kelty hearts in the final possibly 1999 although I could be wrong .

Buffs of course won the super premier league and everything else that was on the menu in this period and for me they're a bigger Ayrshire name than glenafton although the glens under rough were a brilliant team.

Buffs from 93/94 right up until 1999 when they eventually won it were sniffing about success and collecting it through numerous avenues and for me were definately genuine top 5 biggest Ayrshire teams for me all my days .

Kilwinning were a very good side in the 90's and if it hadn't been for them falling away so much then I would have likely held them in the same bracket as the ones mentioned.

Glenafton are still at the top end 20/25 years after Rough.

PS - i dont recall the Scottish cup final you mention - so have to take your word it happened.

In my 30 odd years watching Pollok the 4 big Ayrshire teams to me have always been-

Talbot

Cumnock

Meadow

Glenafton

After these 4 it would be Beith.

I am sure Meadow will get themselves sorted and it may not save them this year but I am sure they will get themselves back up.

Agree. Anyone who talks about junior football in Ayrshire mention all the above. Sorry but the likes of Kilbirnie,Beith and Kilwinning will always be the 2nd tier teams even if they do have a wee cup winning run now and again

Hurlford a big Ayrshire team??? They spent years getting pumped every single week when I was growing up, granted now there a team who should be challenging every season for cups but there not a BIG Ayrshire team

It wasn't Hurlford. It was HURFORD, whoever they are.

Read the original post again!

Agree. Anyone who talks about junior football in Ayrshire mention all the above. Sorry but the likes of Kilbirnie,Beith and Kilwinning will always be the 2nd tier teams even if they do have a wee cup winning run now and again

Depends on how many you place in top tier or how far you go back.

Medda have been pretty consistant but most of their recent success has came through massive investment and despite that have not won Scottish since early '70s, Buffs same investment in '90s but did win Scottish, Hurlford now, success through cash but Scottish won. Glenafton during their time under Rough had excellent sponsorship and a good tie in with Ayr Utd. Cumnock have done nothing in recent times, Kilbirnie inconsistent yet were never relegated during Ayrshire leagues, Beith have won Super League which must have strong bearing if we are looking at recent achievements. The old Ayrshire league was strong and simply never needed the Central teams.

Medda have been pretty consistant but most of their recent success has came through massive investment and despite that have not won Scottish since early '70s, Buffs same investment in '90s but did win Scottish, Hurlford now, success through cash but Scottish won. Glenafton during their time under Rough had excellent sponsorship and a good tie in with Ayr Utd. Cumnock have done nothing in recent times, Kilbirnie inconsistent yet were never relegated during Ayrshire leagues, Beith have won Super League which must have strong bearing if we are looking at recent achievements. The old Ayrshire league was strong and simply never needed the Central teams.

If you read my previous post these teams may now and again have a good run but you can't deny medda are up there as a big team with a solid history.

History isn't only about winning cups is about consistency in challenging fit those cups. Medda are usually in amongst it. The 2nd tier teams do not.

In the 10 years prior to the merger 3 Ayrshire sides won the Scottish and 3 Central so the central teams were having success without the need of Ayrshire teams.

The central league had strong sides like Pollok, Lie, Peasie, Maryhill, Neilston,Renfrew and a very competitive top division without Ayrshire sides.

Since the merger the central league sides have mostly declined and Ayrshire teams have benefited.

If you read my previous post these teams may now and again have a good run but you can't deny medda are up there as a big team with a solid history.

History isn't only about winning cups is about consistency in challenging fit those cups. Medda are usually in amongst it. The 2nd tier teams do not.

3 or 4 seasons out the top league rips your theory to shreds . They were in the Adl for a season or did you forget about that ?

The kilbirnie team of 87 was better than any of the teams apart from Talbot imo .

3 or 4 seasons out the top league rips your theory to shreds . They were in the Adl for a season or did you forget about that ?

Nothing to shred mate just stating opinion of most that Medda are seen as a big club over the likes of Kilbirnie Beith and Kilwinning.

The kilbirnie team of 87 was better than any of the teams apart from Talbot imo .

Great team back then recently watched the final (two games) amazed at the crowd turn up at Rugby park. John McCool's goal to separate the teams will always be remembered. Special moment

Not denying Medda should be at the top table, they have always been able to attract top players due to the fact they have always paid good money.

If you go back to early '70s before Talbot came forth, Medda were the biggest team in Ayrshire, perhaps the whole of junior fitba, their president practically ran the feckin game.

Not denying Medda should be at the top table, they have always been able to attract top players due to the fact they have always paid good money.

If you go back to early '70s before Talbot came forth, Medda were the biggest team in Ayrshire, perhaps the whole of junior fitba, their president practically ran the feckin game.

Sometimes there's a big difference between being a big name and a big club .

People still regard cambuslang Rangers as a big name due their excellence in the 70s but they're not a big club for me as they've not won much at all in my lifetime and the big name lives on but they're not a big club any longer for me.

Great team back then recently watched the final (two games) amazed at the crowd turn up at Rugby park. John McCool's goal to separate the teams will always be remembered. Special moment

Imo that Talbot side were the best junior side I've ever seen and kilbirnie weren't far off them until they lost all their players over the next few seasons , but their side between 86-87 were a top junior team .

Nothing to shred mate just stating opinion of most that Medda are seen as a big club over the likes of Kilbirnie Beith and Kilwinning.

Showing that despite what you stated they haven't consistently been challenging for honours at the top level . All of the teams mentioned have good & bad times with only Talbot amongst the Ayrshire sides never relegated along with Arthurlie from the central leagues although they didn't play in the 1st season of so of the super leagues.

Archived