Raith v Alloa

Biggest game in the league next week! Better than that sh*te in Glasgow on the Monday afternoon anyway.

This could hopefully be where we pull away a bit from Morton and Qots which is unbelievable considering what we've been saying for the last few weeks.

2-0 win with Bates notching his first rovers goal and Megginson getting the other goal.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has he "signed on" yet?....and I don't mean the dole!!

Can he actually claim a goal for us?

He scored in the 2-1 defeat to Hibs and unofficially the winner against St Mirren, the one that Anderson wildly celebrated after ghosting the ball into the net from Daly's header

I can totally see why some would think that he hasn't done well for us, an easy target if you will, but I really think he has a lot of strengths. Whether or not we play to those is another matter, but certainly not been the failure that many see him as.

Daly was actually alright when we were winning games early on, or so it seemed that the more direct nature of our play worked well with Daly as the target man.

Since our form declined, this obviously hasn't been the case. I think his lack of mobility handicaps us, particularly as we struggle to create from midfield and we often lack width. That does tend to draw us into lumping it, and we can become quite predictable.

On the whole, he worked well earlier on and didn't later. A poor goal return will never do much for a striker in terms of endearing the fans either. What I do believe, is that there are many reasons we aren't doing too well in front of goal, and that most of them are far deeper than Jon Daly. I don't think we took advantage of his aerial abilities from crosses, for example.

Daly was actually alright when we were winning games early on, or so it seemed that the more direct nature of our play worked well with Daly as the target man.

Since our form declined, this obviously hasn't been the case. I think his lack of mobility handicaps us, particularly as we struggle to create from midfield and we often lack width. That does tend to draw us into lumping it, and we can become quite predictable.

On the whole, he worked well earlier on and didn't later. A poor goal return will never do much for a striker in terms of endearing the fans either. What I do believe, is that there are many reasons we aren't doing too well in front of goal, and that most of them are far deeper than Jon Daly. I don't think we took advantage of his aerial abilities from crosses, for example.

He never won an aerial challenge in the first half on Friday and those that he won in the second half were ineffectual, summing up, he hasn't taken advantage of his abilities.

Am I the only one that thinks Daly has actually been OK for us? Granted he's not set the heather alight but he's always available for the ball and brings others into play. I don't think he's been the dud that many see him as.

Daly has been okay but expected a bit more but u nfortunateltly our set up and style of football isn,t suited to him.

It doesn't help that 99/100 Stewart is 20 yards away from him, running in the wrong direction.

I am not totally against Daly, but there were several occasions on Friday that he was apologising for not getting the ball/being out of position.

I think it must be all Ray's fault.

Is this Daly's last game?

Daly is as good as the centre half he is facing. The correct tactic when playing Daly is to rough him up a bit. Jump towards him when challenging for high balls. Don't give Daly a chance to put his arms up and back slowly into you. If you bully him a wee bit he goes into Calum Elliot mode where he throws his arms up in the air pleading for fouls from the Ref. When he is reduced to this he is no threat to the opposition team.

As Daly has no real pace, if he is beaten in the air then he is fairly ineffective. His goals per game ratio is also poor.

I was really pleased when we signed him. I hoped we could get him back playing like 'Dundee United Daly' rather than 'Rangers Daly'. Unfortunately, probably due to past injuries, that isn't possible.

Best of luck to John at Hearts. Coaching/Management is probably the stage of his career that he is at.

Daly is as good as the centre half he is facing. The correct tactic when playing Daly is to rough him up a bit. Jump towards him when challenging for high balls. Don't give Daly a chance to put his arms up and back slowly into you. If you bully him a wee but he goes into Calum Elliot mode where he throws his arms up in the air pleading for fouls from the Ref. When he is reduced to this he is completely useless.

As Daly has no real pace, if he is beaten in the air then he is as good as a man down. His goals per game ratio is also poor.

I was really pleased when we signed him. I hoped we could get him back playing like 'Dundee United Daly' rather than 'Rangers Daly'. Unfortunately, probably due to past injuries, that isn't possible.

Best of luck to John at Hearts. Coaching/Management is probably the stage of his career that he is at.

I agree. I think Daly himself has realised he is struggling to make much of an impact at even Championship level these days and that has probably played a part in his decision to pack it in. If he thought he could have played on at this level for another couple of years his decision may not have been so straightforward.

The correct tactic when playing Daly is to rough him up a bit. Jump towards him when challenging for high balls. Don't give Daly a chance to put his arms up and back slowly into you. If you bully him a wee bit he goes into Calum Elliot mode where he throws his arms up in the air pleading for fouls from the Ref. When he is reduced to this he is no threat to the opposition team.

As Daly has no real pace, if he is beaten in the air then he is fairly ineffective. His goals per game ratio is also poor.

How much are they paying you? Let Jack Ross do all his homework himself instead of you helping him out.

Archived