Jimmy hill

pub car king

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was talking to Scotland manager Craig Brown the other day about the world cup in France this summer.

He said "Yes we are going to Toulouse"

I said "Yes, I expect you will"

Back in the days Only an Excuse was watchable.

As a young whippersnapper I watched Robocop in the cinema at the coaching centre at Largs sat between Craig Brown and Andy Roxburgh. With the benefit of hindsight I feel they may have been grooming me as this was the days before paedophiles were a thing.

Back in the day, BBC's World Cup Coverage was based in London and there wasn't really much Scottish input - Archie MacPherson did the commentary but the studio pundits headed by Jimmy Hill tended to be uninformed and patronising about the Scottish Team. They were understandably far more interested in England and the programmes only had items about Scotland as an afterthought.

Add in that English fans were laying waste to large parts of Europe at the time but waved Union Jacks and were referred to in the news as "British" all added to a general Scottish hostility and Jimmy Hill become the focus particularly after his ludicrous description of David Narey's well stuck 20 yard goal against Brazil as a "toe-poke".

I can't say I ever warmed to Jimmy Hill as an individual but he had a major influence in football and I was genuinely saddened when I heard his wife speak recently of his mental decline.

Add in that English fans were laying waste to large parts of Europe at the time but waved Union Jacks and were referred to in the news as "British" all added to a general Scottish hostility and Jimmy Hill become the focus particularly after his ludicrous description of David Narey's well stuck 20 yard goal against Brazil as a "toe-poke".

The BBC and Jimmy Hill in particular, were notorious for referring to hooligans as "Scottish" when they were from north of the border but "British" if they were from the south. In their minds, there was no such thing as an English hooligan. While the Heysel disaster was unfolding, they made sure to, yet again, show us footage of the Tartan Army on the pitch at Wembley eight years earlier, as if the two incidents were even remotely comparable. Hill then told us, in a voice dripping with contempt, "If you can believe it, we've even had people from Scotland calling in to complain about us calling hooliganism a British problem."

His partisan bias whenever England were playing was almost comical. His support for apartheid in South Africa was not. He was an utter dick of a man and I for one, won't be joining in the widespread fawning over him just because he now happens to be dead.

The BBC and Jimmy Hill in particular, were notorious for referring to hooligans as "Scottish" when they were from north of the border but "British" if they were from the south. In their minds, there was no such thing as an English hooligan. While the Heysel disaster was unfolding, they made sure to, yet again, show us footage of the Tartan Army on the pitch at Wembley eight years earlier, as if the two incidents were even remotely comparable. Hill then told us, in a voice dripping with contempt, "If you can believe it, we've even had people from Scotland calling in to complain about us calling hooliganism a British problem."

Aye that will be just like the BBC and English media apparently claim Andy Murray as their own when he wins and call him Scottish when he doesn't :lol: Only in the minds of those with massive chips on their shoulders...

So there wasn't a hooligan problem in Scotland in the 70s? the Tartan army never used to rampage through London every other year? Rangers never rioted after winning the Cup Winner Cup and wrecked Birimingham and had a match at Villa park abandoned? The Scottish cup final never ended up in a riot in 80? We were worse than the English in they days for it and in no point to take the moral high ground about anyone.

Aye that will be just like the BBC and English media apparently claim Andy Murray as their own when he wins and call him Scottish when he doesn't :lol: Only in the minds of those with massive chips on their shoulders...

So there wasn't a hooligan problem in Scotland in the 70s? the Tartan army never used to rampage through London every other year? Rangers never rioted after winning the Cup Winner Cup and wrecked Birimingham and had a match at Villa park abandoned? The Scottish cup final never ended up in a riot in 80? We were worse than the English in they days for it and in no point to take the moral high ground about anyone.

Seems there was a problem with Rangers mostly from that evidence.

He didnt buy those fair trade bananas back in the day.

Just bought the normal ones that were cheaper and originated in Sood Efreeka

Scamp. Did manage to find the relevant thing in his guardian obit.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/dec/19/jimmy-hill

and in 1982 he attempted to lead a tour of English professional players to South Africa, at the time of the sporting boycott against the apartheid regime.

Archived