It's a miracle

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The use of "supposedly intelligent" as a qualifier gives the game away here - faith healers are of course ten a penny in the Protestant sects. Homophobic bigot Marvin Andrews being the most obvious one for the P and B audience. You don't actually get to pick and choose which Protestants or Jews count as "intelligent" representatives of their religion and which do not, so your portrayal of a more rational religion is wide of the mark, and a contradiction in terms anyway.

It's not my definition. Marvin Andrew's hasn't been lauded by the world press as a moderate reforming character.

I take your wider point though.

I'd say the fact he is a catering sized fucking idiot is the main and only reason TBH

Something can't be the 'main' reason if it's the 'only' reason. 'Main' requires there to be other, less important reasons whilst 'only' means that there is just one.

Of course pointing out this logic to a sky fairy believer is probably futile.

You are essentialy stating that religion in any way shape or form is wrong, what are you suggesting that people be banned from practising their faith? You are no doubt too much of a puddle drinking simpleton to realise but such intolerence and animosity towards all religions makes you as much a bigot as those who use their own faith to discriminate others

No wonder children in the street shout abuse and throw eggs at you when you shuffle along to the shops in your pish stained cords.

Now pop off and empty your stoma bag

You're on the point of losing it - or straying into 'Head's Gone' territory to use the P&B venicular. Maybe better get another alias account ready...

I'm not arguing that people should be banned from practicing their 'faith' but rather that having such 'faith' equates to stupidity.

Let me askyou the same questions I asked another poster. These questions accept the view that there was an historical character that we refer to as Jesus.

Do you believe that Jesus was the son of god?

Do you believe he performed miracles?

Do you believe his mother was a virgin?

Do you believe he rose from the dead?

What is your view of religions that propose that the answer to these questions are yes?

What is your view of people who follow these religions?

If God/Allah/Jehovah are so incredibly amazing they can make people worship them, why do those people get really really upset when others ridicule their belief?

Your deity can't be that magic if it can't cope with a bit of mocking.

Okay I'll bite seeing as you are clearly aching for someone to say they believe in God so you can mock their belief

Do I believe Jesus is the son of God? Yes I do, im a bit sceptical to say the least about the other claims you question though to be fair

My view on people who follow a faith or religion? Most of my family, including my parents are practising Catholics who attend Mass regularly and take the sacrement of communion, they are very strong about their faith but also very respectful to other faiths and are generally good people. I am not as devout a Catholic as them, my attendance at Mass tends to be mainly at family funerals now, I do believe I and others have a right to do so without numpties like yourself decrying them and their faith as nonsense and basicaly slagging them off. I also, through work know a Muslim man and his family, he runs a firm who I do work for and he attends the mosque almost daily I think, a nicer, friendlier family you will not meet who show no sign of intolerence or animosity towards non muslims, sadly events of the last decade or two have tarnished Islam unfairly as non muslim hating terrorist nutjobs. That isnt the case, the vast vast majority are decent peace loving people who are appalled at some the atrocities carried out by supposed martyrs of their faith.

In general my view and personal experience of religion is that the people I encounter are good people who deserve to have the respect or right to peacefuly observe their faith without intolerent tubes like you poking fun at them and their faith.

Hope that helps

You do realise how bizarre and contradictory that is don't you. If you believe in a divine being and believe that Jesus was his son then what's so extraordinary about him being able to perform miracles? It's only when you accept how ridiculous that the claims about him are that you can begin to challenge the fundamental question.

You are trying to imply that I think people who are practicing Christians/Muslims/Jews etc are by definition are bad people; stu implied something similar. I have never said that, I don't believe it to be the case.

What I do question is why and how people are prepared to abandone logical thought for 'faith'. I think it is a dangeous thing to do. It gives credance to religious groups that they certainly do not deserve. We should challenge it at every occassion including the ongoing brain washing of young, vulnerable, impressionable children.

So let me get this right.

You are having a pop at me and religious people for contradicting themselves on various things.

You later state that you dont think religious people are bad people then in the next paragraph accuse them of brainwashing their children and call for society of governments or whoever to put a stop to it

Do you understand irony?

Do you also understand what an intolerant old bigot you are coming across as here?

You aren't the brightest though so I suppose allowances must be made

You realise that the personal abuse just illustrates how feeble your arguements are?

I'm sure people that coerce their kids into following their religious beliefs do so on the basis that they are doing something good and positive; that doesn't make them bad but it makes them wrong IMO.

Do you really believe that all those folk who slavishly follow a religion would do it had they not been coerced from an early age? Oh I am sure there are examples of people who have become converts in their adult life, though I wouldn't want to speculate on the trauma that has caused this, but they will be in a small minority.

In fact there are well documented examples of people being ostracised from their families and friends for turning their back on their religion. Gives you a nice warm feeling eh?

Archived