Old Sweet shops.

supermik

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are a few places in Glasgow that I've noticed make a point of selling old-fashioned sweets. I always think "that's nice", but don't go in because unfortunately I don't actually like sweets anymore. But if I was a kid I'd love them.

e.g.:

langside_cafe.jpg

34247060_4d8dd77df8.jpg

or:

22740045.jpg

The last time I was in the direction of Glickman's, which was... four years ago, it looked shut. Which is a shame, because it's the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread, while wanting a big bag of sherbet lemons in front of me. Or aniseed balls.

There used to be a shop in the St. Enoch Centre with loads of jars and stuff but I think it shut earlier this year.

post-12982-0-20829800-1450393154.jpg

Casey's- a right old fashioned sweet shop in St Mary's Street run by an old dear towards the end. It closed when she retired about 10 years ago. Lovely chocolates made on the premises. There was also a branch near Easter Road.

Alex Ferguson (not that one) used to make Edinburgh rock and had a factory in East Crosscauseway. I can remember passing as a young lad in the 1980s and they had the delivery door open and the smell of boiling sugar wafted out- ooooh heavenly. Across from there was Jeannie Veitch's sweet shop, the cause of my many fillings.

Earlier this year my mate posted a "remember these" picture of the yellow bubblegum Golden Nuggets that they used to sell in little cloth sacks. The very next day I noticed them in the sweet shop at the top of the Hulltoon and, being the nice c**t that I am, bought him a couple of sacks.post-25521-0-48711300-1450416229_thumb.j

Kings sweetie shop in Wishaw was amazing. The factory was only 2 minutes away and the smell from it was top notch.

f**k, I forgot about oddfellows.

aye, King's Oddfellows were great. Especially the orange-coloured ones, seemed a bit softer than the rest for some reason and you could work a groove into them with your teeth and enjoy the resulting powder.

The sweetie shop in Crieff that somebody mentioned is still there, and it's a good 'un. There's another excellent one in North Berwick, and used to be one in Peebles too, tho it's a few years since I was there so it may be gone.

I was in Moffat a few months back and found a deli that did a lot of unusual sweets. I bought a couple of cinnamon sticks and also a sarsaparilla stick, cos I'd never tasted one. The cinnamon sticks were as tasty and indigestible as ever, just like they should be, but the sarsaparilla stick was bowfin'.

Used to get a quarter of soor plooms and a quarter of kola kubes from the wee shop across from Somerset before games when I was wee. Wasn't a traditional sweetie shop but still came out the big jars. Think the shop sells wedding dresses now!

Used to get a quarter of soor plooms and a quarter of kola kubes from the wee shop across from Somerset before games when I was wee. Wasn't a traditional sweetie shop but still came out the big jars. Think the shop sells wedding dresses now!

What, white trackies??

There's an old-style sweetie FACTORY in our town, led by the old-style sweetie maker who owns our old-style fitba' club and their old-style ground.

Oh, and cinnamon balls.

Perhaps explains the time warp effect that a trip to Greenock brings on.

Archived