Least used railway stations

trainspotter

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get a bit in awe of the rail network, just how huge and interconnected it all is. The planning and work that has gone in to it is amazing. Then there's the London tube with all the same logistical problems, but underground.

You'd think that until you try to get the train from Inverness to Wick.

• 1 month later...

it's literally just a junction where the train splits to go to Wick and Thurso, plus some kind of freight depot.

Do the trains even do that now? I thought they ran to Wick first then onto Thurso meaning some passengers get to visit Georgemas station twice. That line makes no sense whatsoever for passengers once you get past Easter Ross given the lack of a Dornoch Firth crossing to match the road one and the Lairg loop into the middle of nowhere, so it probably has the prime suspects for this thread.

It's only in the middle of the 'largest village in Scotland', although it is near the wealthy bit so probably not as used as it could be!! :thumsup2

I'm sure it still gets plenty of use though.

Personally, I've used Kirkhill loads of times, last train on a Friday night used to be interesting, fire extinguisher anyone? :lol:

Then your wee walk through the public park, now that was scarier than any Dungeon/Alien War tour with real live DANGER!

I live round the corner, so it's the one I use to go to and from work. It's busyish at rush hour but chances are you'll be the only person getting on or off if you use it in the middle of the day.

Do the trains even do that now? I thought they ran to Wick first then onto Thurso meaning some passengers get to visit Georgemas station twice. That line makes no sense whatsoever for passengers once you get past Easter Ross given the lack of a Dornoch Firth crossing to match the road one and the Lairg loop into the middle of nowhere, so it probably has the prime suspects for this thread.

It's the other way round, Thurso then Wick. I know because we got the 7am train from Kirkcaldy to Wick for a cup game there a few years ago, and we had to get off at Georgemas Junction and get a taxi to Wick otherwise we'd have missed the kick off.

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Bold Rover said:

Barrhill (South Ayrshire)? Does anyone ever actually use the Stranraer line now?

I've often wondered that. Even in the days before they'd moved the ferry terminals, there didn't seem to be anything in Barrhill - nor any reason to get off. 

I used to get the train to NI quite often, and just before they moved the ferry terminals, the "Friends of the Southwestern Railway" (or something like that) were surveying customers about their use of their train. I told them I used the train every day and it was a complete lifeblood to me. Total lies, but I might be partly responsible for the fact it it's still open :D

Tbf, on a Saturday, the times tie in nicely for a trip to Stair Park. Get in to Stranraer at 2pm (which is a surreal experience given that you disembark at a derelict ferry terminal). Then you've got time for lunch / pint pre-match, and a couple of post-match jars. (Not that I'm suggesting that Stranraer's massive travelling support accounts for the line staying open!)

2 hours ago, Bold Rover said:

Barrhill (South Ayrshire)? Does anyone ever actually use the Stranraer line now?

Never seen anybody use Barrhill. If there was still a stop at Dunragit that would make me use the train more to see my Granny. Otherwise the coach is far easier. 

7 minutes ago, Bold Rover said:

There's certainly no ticket office at Barrhill, and I don't believe there's a machine.

There's this new fangled thing called the internet where folk can buy train tickets so I'm guessing that they tallied up the ones that were bought going to and from Barrhill.

HTH ;)

There's certainly no ticket office at Barrhill, and I don't believe there's a machine.

People buy tickets on the train from conductors. I didn't think that was a difficult concept to grasp, but here we are.

Archived