Marillion

Richey Edwards

I faded away as a fan once Fish left.

Used to play Misplaced Childhood every week in the last hour of Friday at work. Got me off to a good start for the weekend, so it did.

Absolutely loved La Gazza Ladra - or, as a fellow Marillion fan called it - The Strangled Parrot.

I faded away as a fan once Fish left.

Used to play Misplaced Childhood every week in the last hour of Friday at work. Got me off to a good start for the weekend, so it did.

Absolutely loved La Gazza Ladra - or, as a fellow Marillion fan called it - The Strangled Parrot.

First side of Misplaced Childhood is a triumph.

• 3 years later...

A lot of chat on here re the early albums with Fish as the frontman. I actually first saw them live in 1982 and have been hooked ever since. These were all great albums but Fish actually left the band in 1989 (yes 30 years ago), and the band slowly reinvented itself and developed a whole new fan base under Steve Hogarth.

I’ve seen just about everyone I ever wanted to see in their prime from Thin Lizzy to The Jam, or Genesis to Simple Minds, or U2 on the War tour at their peak.

I continue to follow other bands, in fact I even saw Muse in Toronto earlier this year. However there is no band that I’d rather watch live than the current Marillion. I’ve probably seen well over 100 gigs over the years. In fact, just back from the Marillion Weekend in Lisbon last weekend, and just about every song over three separate gigs was greeted with standing ovations.

Think it’s such a shame that the band remained a relatively unknown cult act despite the unique style and variation that they have managed to develop over the years, but then again, perhaps it wouldn’t be the same if they grew into another mega act, so maybe counting my blessings really.....

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 16/08/2020 at 13:08, roman_bairn said:

Did anyone watch Marillion at the Royal Albert Hall on Sky Arts at 9pm last night?
Thought the introduction by the broadcaster “...now this has to be one of the finest live performances ever captured on film....” said it all really.....

I have the blu-ray of that. Phenomenal performance.

I saw Marillion at the Royal Concert Hall in Glasgow on their last tour. That was a brilliant gig. Though I heard someone grumbling on the way out that they didn't play any songs from the Fish era!

I felt like saying "you've just seen one of the best bands in the world at the top of their game. Gies peace." 😂

I have the blu-ray of that. Phenomenal performance.
I saw Marillion at the Royal Concert Hall in Glasgow on their last tour. That was a brilliant gig. Though I heard someone grumbling on the way out that they didn't play any songs from the Fish era!
I felt like saying "you've just seen one of the best bands in the world at the top of their game. Gies peace." [emoji23]

Yes. I was at the RAH gig that night which was as good as it gets. Of course that was only half the gig having played the whole of the FEAR album in the first half without the orchestra.

I was also was at the two RAH gigs last year too.

I was at that Glasgow gig you mentioned although I was disappointed that they cut it short and did not play This Strange Engine in order to rest Steve Hogarth’s voice for the Cardiff gig which was filmed and should be available soon.

Still the best live performers I have seen particularly over the last 2-3 years....

2 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

I was at that Glasgow gig you mentioned although I was disappointed that they cut it short and did not play This Strange Engine in order to rest Steve Hogarth’s voice for the Cardiff gig which was filmed and should be available soon.

Yeah I think I heard that the Cardiff gig is coming out October/November.

I remember the gig was cut short. It was later said that h was feeling a bit of roughness in his voice so they decided against doing This Strange Engine. 

2 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

Indeed it is...another gig was at in 2015 in Port Zeelande. Well worth a watch.
Looking forward to the cocktail making by the band after the show emoji3.png...

They genuinely seem like they'd be totally comfortable hanging with their fans, and seem to acknowledge that their gigs are more about the fans than the band.

This is wonderful, imo:

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎16‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 11:12, Richey Edwards said:

Any other fans of Marillion here?

Misplaced Childhood is probably my favourite album of all time. Saw Fish perform it live on Sunday and it was a phenomenal gig.

Was a big fan of Script For a Jester's Tear and Misplaced Childhood.

Once Fish left pretty much lost interest in them.

Fish's new, and final, album Weltschmerz is out today.

I think it’s one of his better albums to be honest with a couple of standout tracks, Rose of Damascus and Waverley Steps.

Looking forward to his upcoming gigs next year if they happen.

Whilst I don’t think Marillion would be as good a band as they are today if Fish was still at the helm, he was one helluva writer especially on those early Marillion albums and will always be an all time Marillion hero....

11 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

I think it’s one of his better albums to be honest with a couple of standout tracks, Rose of Damascus and Waverley Steps.

Looking forward to his upcoming gigs next year if they happen.

Whilst I don’t think Marillion would be as good a band as they are today if Fish was still at the helm, he was one helluva writer especially on those early Marillion albums and will always be an all time Marillion hero....

Fish has admitted in interviews that he wouldn't still be alive if he hadn't left Marillion when he did. Fish era Marillion is brilliant, but all good things have to end and all that.

I think this album is one of the best things he's done. Definitely his best album of the last 20 odd years.

• 2 months later...