The Force Awakens - Spoiler Thread!

Quentin Taranbino

Forced myself to enjoy it but just had the feeling I'd seen it all before in A New Hope. Luke took an age to use the force and the girl does it in a few hours. Fin with no training is able to use a light sabre. Too many plot holes.

The more I think about it the more disappointed I am with the film. The trailers promised much but the film was a bit of a let down. It will appeal to those who haven't seen the early films but as it was a big part of my childhood I'm afraid it didn't live up to my expectations.

5/10

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finn got the shit kicked out of him both times when using the saber and was clumsy whilst using it.

Rey was overpowered but still hugely likeable and I'm kinda hopeful they will address her "pick up force powers with no training" abilities in Episode 8....and then knock her down a peg with some traditional limb removal.

I'm assuming Rey received full training in Lightsaber combat before she was abandoned, and Luke was channeling his abilities into her after she closed her eyes and began to meditate mid fight.

I went to see it last night in Inverness. The place was half empty. I'm not sure if that's just Inverness, but I recall it being much harder to get in to see the Phantom Menace when I was in Aberdeen back in the late '90s. Is that a result of the latest generation not really caring that much about Star Wars?

The film was okay and has some strong characters, but the script is very similar to A New Hope.

Kylo Ren was a great bad guy, until he took off the mask. Then he didn't seem as bad. In the Phantom Menace they created a great bad guy in Darth Maul, then promptly killed him. Hopefully they can learn the lesson from that. Are there books of the 3 sets of trilogies that the films are based on?

How many Knights of Ren are there? Will we get a bit more flashback details of Kylo Ren turning to the dark side? Will Kylo Ren come back more bad-ass? Keep the mask on, son!

Rey/Ray is a strong female character, which I approved of and Finn is obviously is the new cheeky chappie to replace Han Solo.

At what point do the Star Wars baddies have to give up because they've bankrupted themselves building these weapons?

Also, I can see lots of people were affected by Han's death, but I was just distracted by the ludicrous bridge they were standing on. It was like something from Galaxy Quest.

I went to see it last night in Inverness. The place was half empty. I'm not sure if that's just Inverness, but I recall it being much harder to get in to see the Phantom Menace when I was in Aberdeen back in the late '90s. Is that a result of the latest generation not really caring that much about Star Wars?

I saw it in Inverness this afternoon thinking it would be quiet but it was packed.

EDIT - Mind you, you get 1/3 off at Vue on a Tuesday which probably explains it.

Star Wars Bad Guys: Once was unlucky; twice was careless; three times? Seriously?

Get some fucking guards on those reactors. Fucks sake, you useless c***s.

Also, what was that shit Rey was cooking up? Looked like a scene from Trainspotting.

Star Wars Bad Guys: Once was unlucky; twice was careless; three times? Seriously?

Get some fucking guards on those reactors. Fucks sake, you useless c***s.

Also, what was that shit Rey was cooking up? Looked like a scene from Trainspotting.

I'd certainly have given her a portion.

Forced myself to enjoy it but just had the feeling I'd seen it all before in A New Hope. Luke took an age to use the force and the girl does it in a few hours. Fin with no training is able to use a light sabre. Too many plot holes.

Han Solo also used a lightsabre devoid of Jedi powers or Jedi training. It's a laser sword, switched on by a button. Finn using one is not a plot hole.

Luke had never been trained. As of yet we do not know if Rey has been trained at all. It will not be a plot hole until we know the full story. Luke was told by Yoda that he was too old to be trained. If Luke used his training to train others, the more logical conclusion would be that at some point she has been trained, but for whatever reason has been mind wiped.

Rey will be revealed to be either the child of Leia or the child of Luke. Currently there doesn't seem to be any other option. If Ben Solo was trained, Rey would also have been trained.

It's certainly not a stretch to assume she'd be very good in armed combat. Especially after her taking on 3 men single handedly with that staff of hers.

Very enjoyable film. The newcomers were all fantastic.

I really wasn't expecting the First Order to be as organized and powerful as they are. I figured that after the Empire's defeat the antagonists in this would be more of a fringe group. The way it is probably made it a more enjoyable film, but it did bother me a bit.

Archived