Partick Thistle v Ross County 19/12/15

Zoomed in closeup of Fox's petted lip face after that goal needed IMO.

I thought every player turned up yesterday to at least a decent standard. We didn't have much up front with Doolan coming so deep into the midfield, but as the game progressed and as the wind seemed to die down a bit we became more and more effective on the counter, eventually causing enough of a problem with one of the crosses for the goal. A more ruthless opposition might have buried some of those chances into our far post, but in the most part I didn't feel like we were hanging onto our lead for dear life.

We're hardly Atletico 2014 (yet), but I thought yesterday just how far we'd come from our first season back up where we'd almost certainly have conspired to bugger up a game like that. We seem to have found the importance of a more consistent centre half pairing, and our midfield has a convincing defensive presence in Osman, and as a result we're conceding less and keeping more clean sheets (I believe yesterday was our 13th clean sheet of 2015). We'll still more than likely be worrying about relegation late into the season, but this team is miles away from the weak as piss Thistle teams I'm used to, and seems to be gradually improving.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a save from Fox, hope we're paying him loads :wub:

Draw may have been fair, but Boyce and others had poor games.

Thought we did ok in 1st half but the OG completely changed the game.

Great banter from the sour-faced dragon in the social club, serving the Thistle fans in front of me and then telling me I had to join the end of the queue at the other bar. Merry Christmas to you too hen :1eye

Back to the Woodside next time.

Andrew Dallas is an atrocious ref.

I've no idea what to expect for the rest of this campaign, somehow we are still 5th despite losing 7 of our last 10 league games, 7pts off 2nd bottom with 4 of those below us having a game in hand. Concerned.

What a save from Fox, hope we're paying him loads :wub:

Draw may have been fair, but Boyce and others had poor games, hangover from Dublin? Thought we did ok in 1st half but the OG completely changed the game.

Time Martin Woods was dropped and Murdoch, Rocco, McShane, Anybody please, given a chance alongside Irvine.

Great banter from the sour-faced dragon in the social club, serving the Thistle fans in front of me and then telling me I had to join the end of the queue at the other bar. Merry Christmas to you too hen :1eye

Andrew Dallas is an atrocious ref.

I've no idea what to expect for the rest of this campaign, somehow we are still 5th despite losing 7 of our last 10 league games, 7pts off 2nd bottom with 4 of those below us having a game in hand. Concerned.

There is no chance for me you will be second bottom.

Welsh consistently fannied about on the ball too long in the first half and made a lot of bad passes putting team mates under pressure. Think it was just you who thought he was "very good".

That was an excellent win today against a decent side.

I agree. Welsh is the weak link in the team for me. Yesterday he did some good things but overall he is prone to hurting us with his lack of speed and intelligence on the ball. It was a shame Fraser was out with that ankle as for me Fraser is the better option.

Osman and Dumbayh were fantastic yesterday as was big Seabourne. Lindsay did well but wasn't MOM. But well done to him. Bannigan was impressive also.

How in the world did Doolan not get on the scoresheet? Amoo did well when he came on I thought. He offered something different than Muirhead. I wasn't overly impressed with him. Cumbersome and slow. Lawless worked very hard but his touch was off.

January if we can bring in central midfielder and forward I think that is all that is really required.

Well done lads. A good 2nd half team display. Tough next week but Saints at home means a chance for another 3pts.

Also when that animal with the pony tail hacked Lawless down as he ran toward goal he should have been shown a straight red. He knew what he was doing it was very malicious foul.

One of many similar "tackles" their tiring midfield put in, in the second half.

If they weren't tripping up players who had went by them, they were falling over at the slightest hint of upper body contact.

F*ck ye.

Yokel.

I agree. Welsh is the weak link in the team for me. Yesterday he did some good things but overall he is prone to hurting us with his lack of speed and intelligence on the ball. It was a shame Fraser was out with that ankle as for me Fraser is the better option.

Osman and Dumbayh were fantastic yesterday as was big Seabourne. Lindsay did well but wasn't MOM. But well done to him. Bannigan was impressive also.

How in the world did Doolan not get on the scoresheet? Amoo did well when he came on I thought. He offered something different than Muirhead. I wasn't overly impressed with him. Cumbersome and slow. Lawless worked very hard but his touch was off.

January if we can bring in central midfielder and forward I think that is all that is really required.

Well done lads. A good 2nd half team display. Tough next week but Saints at home means a chance for another 3pts.

I actually thought Welsh was excellent yesterday

I actually thought Welsh was excellent yesterday

Needs to work on his passing. The most annoying thing about him at the moment is that he continually loses the ball. Considering he used to be our captain you would expect a bit more determination and fight but he gets robbed of the ball time and time again this season. Needs to take a look at Bannigan, his ball retention is superb. Hell even Lawless is better at keeping possession.

I like Welsh btw just want him to work on these things.

Needs to work on his passing. The most annoying thing about him at the moment is that he continually loses the ball. Considering he used to be our captain you would expect a bit more determination and fight but he gets robbed of the ball time and time again this season. Needs to take a look at Bannigan, his ball retention is superb. Hell even Lawless is better at keeping possession.

Welsh is a conundrum. I probably give him more time than others because I loved him in the first division season.

He holds on to the ball too long, and always wants to play things at his own pace, but I thought he was very good the last half hour yesterday. Made some good tackles, and nipped in ahead of Jackson Irvine at a vital time towards the end of the game.

Going forward I would possibly prefer him as a back up, but he's been better the last few games.

Occasionaly loses the ball. Wins it more often than not. I think the guy deserves to be cut a bit of slack.

I thought County were in control until the own goal, which was generally against the run of play. But Archibald made a great move in bringing Amoo on so they could counter and should have had some more goals in the end. With so much of the play happening in the middle-to-County's front in the first half, Thistle had to counter but weren't very good at it - it looked to me like they would rather play through County than behind them, but then County could get 6+ players back and defended comfortably. Until that one cracking ball that made Davies over stretch.

County got behind the full backs four times in the first 25 minutes, which I thought was a good indicator of how well they were doing. Thistle didn't get behind County's defence until after the own goal, but then Thistle could keep 6-7 players behind the ball and attack 3v3 or 4v4. Amoo caused a lot of problems and Dumbaya was only beginning to stretch his legs (what pace when he gets going!).

After the Amoo switch there was only going to be one winner, even with County doing well to come back in the previous couple of matches. Until then Thistle had some good performers who then ended the game excellently: Dumbaya, Osman and especially Lindsay, who impressed me a lot. Osman dominated Woods (maybe not a surprise), even when County were in the ascendancy, and then completely bossed after the own goal.

The double save on to the crossbar was the most ridiculous/brilliant thing I've seen live at a game.

I'm not too gutted because I thought County were doing absolutely fine. I'd much rather see County be brave with high pressing and create so many half-chances, and lose in that manner, than some of the dire away losses I've seen over the years.

McIntyre's a graduate of the Derek Adams' School of F*cking Pap

Archie should have said after the match that it was a brilliant result considering Ross County have a larger budget, just to see if McIntyre's head would explode.

edit: as for the match - first pen appeal looks like Reckord has his arm out holding off the defender as much as the defender is holding him off, would have been soft imo. Irvine's wasn't even close to being a pen.

Archived