Partick Thistle v Ross County 19/12/15

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Muirhead in for Amoo is the only change I'd make for this.

If we lose this then Christmas at P45 towers will be ruined.

Unless we're getting Muirhead until the end of the season, I still not see a benefit in dropping a Thistle player for a loan player due to leave in a couple of weeks.

If anything I'd suggest Amoo should be getting every minute available to show his worth. Because from what I can see, he's not the answer.

I don't think I've willed a player to prove me wrong, as much as him. Then he stops dead in his tracks and plays it back the way! We have a guy with pace to burn, scared to hit the ball and run!

But Archie's the manager and we've only lost 1 in 8 so maybe he sees something I don't. I genuinely can't work out what it is, though.

Has there been any news on Fraser? Is he back on the crock list? Was really impressed in the two games back, was exactly what we're missing. Crisp fast sharp passing.

Unless we're getting Muirhead until the end of the season, I still not see a benefit in dropping a Thistle player for a loan player due to leave in a couple of weeks.

If anything I'd suggest Amoo should be getting every minute available to show his worth. Because from what I can see, he's not the answer.

I don't think I've willed a player to prove me wrong, as much as him. Then he stops dead in his tracks and plays it back the way! We have a guy with pace to burn, scared to hit the ball and run!

But Archie's the manager and we've only lost 1 in 8 so maybe he sees something I don't. I genuinely can't work out what it is, though.

Has there been any news on Fraser? Is he back on the crock list? Was really impressed in the two games back, was exactly what we're missing. Crisp fast sharp passing.

The benefit is presumably that we'll have more chance of picking up points with Muirhead in the team than with Amoo in it.

The benefit is presumably that we'll have more chance of picking up points with Muirhead in the team than with Amoo in it.

How many games has Muirhead started, in the last 10 week? Would be interesting to see how they compare.

Going to this one as I'm back seeing family for Christmas. Good time to be watching the Jags and hope we can keep the momentum going. I am reaching for a thriller and say 3-2 Jags. Dools with the winner. I would like to see Fraser back in the team. He played well the last two games he's been involved. Hope he's no injured again!!!

I'm missing this due to attending an open bar for five hours at Oran Mor. A few months back this wouldn't have bothered me, however due to our fantastic form I'm actually fairly gutted. Unsure why but feel this may end up a draw though. Doolan anytime scorer is getting whapped on is a definite.

I'm missing this due to attending an open bar for five hours at Oran Mor. A few months back this wouldn't have bothered me, however due to our fantastic form I'm actually fairly gutted. Unsure why but feel this may end up a draw though. Doolan anytime scorer is getting whapped on is a definite.

If you factor in the 90 minutes for the game and a 15 minute jog to and from Firhill that still leaves you 3 hours of free bar time. :)

If you factor in the 90 minutes for the game and a 15 minute jog to and from Firhill that still leaves you 3 hours of free bar time. :)

Unfortunately the party lasts from 12 till 5 so I'd have to leave mid party for football. An open bar is not something to be sniffed at.

An open bar is not something to be sniffed at.

Sakes man, drink it, don't just sniff it.

Sorry.

Finally getting back to Firhill after missing out on the ICT game, and then the Motherwell one being called off. Fairly confident, and with Aberdeen and Celtic coming up, we need to get something in games like this. A draw for me, with the crowd to turn on Archie for not overseeing an 8-0 win.

Think the Muirhead isn't our player issue isn't the deciding factor, if you make it absurd and pretend we had Messi on loan for the next 4 games, you'd play him at the expense of one of our own players - the question is whether Muirhead is better than Amoo.

Apart from the second half of the Killie game, I'm not sure Muirhead has been great either. I'd probably still go with him for this one though.

The last time County played at Firhill was the 1-3 win in February. Thistle beat Dundee United the week before, but were generally on a terrible run of form before pulling far enough away from the play-off spot.

I remember that game well for a number of reasons:-

• The problems that Ryan Stevenson caused in the first half, arriving into the box late and unmarked
  • It was the first time in the season that County showed they had enough about them to score an opportunist goal against the run of play
  • How much Thistle collapsed in the second half, not helped by Archibald putting the team out after the break in a 4-4-2 to poorly match County's
  • How well County battled for everything, with many Thistle players not looking up for the it (Seaborne and Bannigan spring to mind)
  • Some extraordinary crossing and finishing by Raffa De Vita.

I long had the impression that Partick Thistle, under Archie in the top flight, were mentally quite a weak team. From the amount of games that they dominated in their first season before conceding late suckerpunches, especially at home; to the dearth of unbeaten runs; to some quite bad indiscipline. They have been always good enough technically to compete in spite of all that.

I thought at the start of this season that Thistle wouldn't get enough goals to stay up and that, with a brittle mentality, the losing streak would perpetuate.

However, the opposite is happening and they have done very well to recover to 20 points already. It's taken a long time for Archie to get the monkey off the back, eventually winning two games in a row for the first time in 60+ fixtures toward the end of last season and they have won three matches in a row twice since then. Thistle are clearly now capable of extended unbeaten runs and it wouldn't surprise me to see them do it more often. I think Archie is maturing into a good top-flight manager - they could do so much worse - and that reflects well in the team. If there is a bit of money for January under new investment then they'll be fine.

I don't expect anything like the 3-1 game on Saturday, it could be more like the 1-2 result in Dingwall later in last season when County scored another goal against the run of play but were outplayed from start to finish. I have a lot of respect for what Osman and others can do in the middle, but without Fraser's range of passing they can become very predictable without someone from the midfield three running beyond the striker (I saw that Welsh hit the post at the weekend, but I take it that his forward runs are few and far between?).

County went through some real patchy form recently, mostly against the league's better sides, but with first team players coming back to strengthen the flanks they can get back to what they are best at. After using a lot of the squad recently, McIntyre could potentially have the same team playing from the 1-3 match but for the new goalkeeper and centre-backs, who are all an improvement on their predecessors.

County are almost certainly going to stick to the 4-4-2 with Curran and Boyce up front. They will be a huge test for Lindsay, who I think is the player to force errors out of and County's forwards hunt as a pack quite well. Yet I'm always wary of the space at the back of the midfield four for Lawless to manipulate.

Knowing either side could easily win this I'd be content with a draw, as Killie and Dundee at home over Christmas are quite winnable fixtures.

I'm looking forward to Fox coming back and spending the first half in front of the North Stand.

The abuse he got at Dingwall was ridiculous so hopefully it's a bit better natured this time. It'd be nice if we actually had some shots on target to trouble him this time though.

Interesting points as usual BB.

In midfield Osman has been sitting with Welsh doing the defensive work and Fraser getting forward to good effect.

Welsh has been okay in his last couple of games but has a game's ban looming for 6 bookings. I think this will be for the boxing game match.

Bannigan will be more on the front foot but as said we were a wee bit flat on Saturday but Banzo did put a decent ball into the path of Doolan to stroke home our winner.

Hopefully we can get a better balance on Saturday with Lawless more involved ( it was him who hit the post).

A settled defence and while prone to the odd lapse Lindsay has kept his place on merit in a settled back four who will be enhanced by Cerny in goals.

Upfront we have addressed the issue of not creating chances for the front man previously raised by Doolan and Pogba.

Doolan is on a real hot streak and I am confident of that continuing against County.

The main question in the starting lineup will be who starts on the right of the supporting three.

Amoo hasn't progressed as I'd have liked but I'm not sure if Muirhead's appearance at Rugby Park was a cameo? I actually thought he was pretty poor until the second half and he scored a couple of great goals.

County seem to have gone of the boil a little and I feel we are very capable of keeping all three points in Glasgow.

Archived