St Johnstone v Heart of Midlothian

It was the Reilly for Juanma switch that I objected to, mainly. :lol:

I hope Reilly comes good, and he must have something, but he hasn't done anything to merit a start, sadly.

Also, as much as Juanma can be a passenger at times, there's always the possibility that he'll show a flash of brilliance that could turn the game our way.

I'd also be tempted to leave Ozturk for another few weeks to give him time to recover - he's decent, and I'd imagine that playing through injury didn't do much for his early season form.

Rossi has been solid at centre half, but I wouldn't be averse to him playing at left back if oSHANiwa cannae get his finger oot.

I can really see St Johnstone targeting/testing the temperament of Juanma.

I really expect lots of casualties and cards in the game, with at least one player sampling an early bath.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can really see St Johnstone targeting/testing the temperament of Juanma.

I really expect lots of casualties and cards in the game, with at least one player sampling an early bath.

That's not something we're great st TBH.

On Sunday Izaguerre was booked fairly early and we were handed an opportunity with Millar's injury to move MOH right and run at him. We opted not to. It's something we could do better.

I just hope whatever team we play, we can stand up to the Saints' physical tactics.

It made my day when I seen Neilsons comments, the last manager to spout stuff like that was McNamara...

He got by last season against the plumbers and joiners. He's a donkey at this level.

He had a hernia operation, and came back when he clearly wasn't fit and carrying about half a stone.

If Rossi had been signed earlier I doubt he'd have played at the start of the season at all. Now he's fit, so we'll see if he's up to it when he gets back in.

Neilson giving it big licks in the press. Bad idea against such a determined and tight group of players. Easy win for the Saintees.

Big licks? What's he been saying like? The only interview I've seen he was very complimentary to St Johnstone and highlighted the threat of O'Halloran.

Big licks? What's he been saying like? The only interview I've seen he was very complimentary to St Johnstone and highlighted the threat of O'Halloran.

He said earlier in the week that we're a long ball team, pumping the ball long to John Sutton (a guy who has started 4 matches for us) being one of our main tactics, and has said in today's press that O'Halloran is one dimensional. It doesn't bother me much to be honest, but neither of those things are true.

How good would O'Halloran be without his pace? I thought it was a totally fair comment.

He'd still be pretty good tbh. He's extremely powerful and difficult to shake off the ball. I've seen instances where 3 defenders are at him, only for him to escape and get a cross away. He needs to work on his decision making and he doesn't read the game very well, but both of those things are improving. He has been working on his speed and he has gotten faster over the course of the last 6 months or so, but he's certainly not completely reliant on his pace as Neilson made out in his comments.

How good would O'Halloran be without his pace? I thought it was a totally fair comment.

Still pretty good. His close control is wonderful, with him regularly backed into a corner with a couple of players around him yet a quick shuffle of the feet and hes gone.

Hes also played four different roles for us this season and been outstanding in every one.

Neilsons comments make him sound totally clueless about us, and is so far off the mark it cant even be considered some form of mind game. Id be horrified if TW came out with such a wild statement about our next opponents.

He said earlier in the week that we're a long ball team, pumping the ball long to John Sutton (a guy who has started 4 matches for us) being one of our main tactics, and has said in today's press that O'Halloran is one dimensional. It doesn't bother me much to be honest, but neither of those things are true.

He said first game of the season you caused us problems by going direct, but you've since changed and we have to watch the pace of O'Halloran. He did say his 'one asset is pace', but if you read his other comments he's saying it's his main asset rather than his only one. He said he's direct and 'He’s a good player but his main asset is pace', which I think is true.

Genuinely doesn't read to me like he's being dismissive, but he's left himself open to criticism I suppose.

He said first game of the season you caused us problems by going direct, but you've since changed and we have to watch the pace of O'Halloran. He did say his 'one asset is pace', but if you read his other comments he's saying it's his main asset rather than his only one. He said he's direct and 'He’s a good player but his main asset is pace', which I think is true.

Genuinely doesn't read to me like he's being dismissive, but he's left himself open to criticism I suppose.

He probably isn't being dismissive, but he's worded things horrendously.

'His one asset is pace, that's it.'

'They'll be physical, direct and simply play off the second balls.'

Those comments are McNamara-esque. He's one step away from saying 'its easier to spoil than create'.

I think Saints have been pigeon holed as a long ball team who rely on the spark that O'Halloran's pace provides. It used to be annoying, but we just laugh it off now because the facts don't back that up. The one game that O'Halloran didn't feature was away to Aberdeen - we won the match 5-1, and their goalkeeper pulled out a few good saves which kept the score down. We've scored some excellent team goals, but we do mix things up a bit. We're certainly not direct and 'simply play off the second balls' all the time though.

Still pretty good. His close control is wonderful, with him regularly backed into a corner with a couple of players around him yet a quick shuffle of the feet and hes gone.

Hes also played four different roles for us this season and been outstanding in every one.

Neilsons comments make him sound totally clueless about us, and is so far off the mark it cant even be considered some form of mind game. Id be horrified if TW came out with such a wild statement about our next opponents.

He'd still be pretty good tbh. He's extremely powerful and difficult to shake off the ball. I've seen instances where 3 defenders are at him, only for him to escape and get a cross away. He needs to work on his decision making and he doesn't read the game very well, but both of those things are improving. He has been working on his speed and he has gotten faster over the course of the last 6 months or so, but he's certainly not completely reliant on his pace as Neilson made out in his comments.

Fair enough. We'll probably look to sit deep and hit on the counter, so how he does in tight spaces will be a big factor in his performance tomorrow.

We're not underestimating you guys. On the contrary, I think we'll feel a bit of your wrath for shitting it in the Celtic game.

Then we'll end up beating Celtic next week to come full circle :guinness

We've been called a big physical team in pretty much every week since Levein took over in 2000, whether we are, as we currently are, or whether we have a team full of malnourished 15 year old wingers who couldn't get themselves out of a wet paper bag with a flick knife.

I suggest it's no really worth getting your tweed knickers bunched about it.

We've been called a big physical team in pretty much every week since Levein took over in 2000, whether we are, as we currently are, or whether we have a team full of malnourished 15 year old wingers who couldn't get themselves out of a wet paper bag with a flick knife.

I suggest it's no really worth getting your tweed knickers bunched about it.

It was a myth started by old monkey heed when four different Hearts managers pumped him in the same season :lol:

Archived