St Johnstone v Heart of Midlothian

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not been on for a while - nice (!) to see that 101 having been banned from WAP is spouting his pish on here (hates all Saints managers)

Strange selection from Tommy in selecting Sutton - the days of immobile centre forwards who can win the occasional header are gone - much rather have the running power of Kane.

Still think we'll finish above Hearts though...

This post is very good.

Tell me, do you rate Tommy Wright?

I think the positives of having Tommy Wright as a manager outweigh the negatives. For all he makes bizarre team selections and can his tactics can be perplexing, he has created a very good team here and has achieved more with us than any other manager ever had. I don't think he's an outstanding manager (that may come with longevity however) but I think he's a good one who suits us perfectly just as we are perfect for him.

My favourite thing about Tommy is his complete domination of certain teams and his ability to figure a side out and their weaknesses after a game or two against them. When that familiarity doesn't exist however (witness our horrendous record against newly promoted teams under Wright) we can often be flat. For that reason I am more worried than most about the Hibernian league cup tie as we haven't had that chance to figure them out.

I think the positives of having Tommy Wright as a manager outweigh the negatives. For all he makes bizarre team selections and can his tactics can be perplexing, he has created a very good team here and has achieved more with us than any other manager ever had. I don't think he's an outstanding manager (that may come with longevity however) but I think he's a good one who suits us perfectly just as we are perfect for him.

My favourite thing about Tommy is his complete domination of certain teams and his ability to figure a side out and their weaknesses after a game or two against them. When that familiarity doesn't exist however (witness our horrendous record against newly promoted teams under Wright) we can often be flat. For that reason I am more worried than most about the Hibernian league cup tie as we haven't had that chance to figure them out.

I wouldn't worry, St Johnstone will soundly hose Hibernian. All the sweeter that their seethe will be at Tynecastle.

Thought we played okay for most of that game, just could not score. You felt if we got one we'd have gone on to score a few. Maclean had a great game apart from another shocking penalty.. Missed the last one by skying it, the one thing you'd make sure of this time would be hitting the target! He's got to be off them now. Wondered if Sutton was picked partly to help with defending corners after the celtic game, and given that hearts are 'a big, physical side'.

I thought we were fairly patient against a team that sat in; rather than lumping hopeful balls in we tried to pick the right pass. Fairly obvious thing to say but all we missed was the finishing touch. Murray's first half miss when he kicked it the way he was facing with his right foot instead of using his left summed up our finishing today.

Didn't rate Hearts when with 11 or 10, though they obviously battled hard for what is a good point for them. I thought their centre back no. 4 (Augustyn?) was excellent.

Definitely points dropped against a team we should have beaten at home. Still, a couple of winnable away games coming up to try to get back on a roll.

I'm definitely on the side of those that think we played alright yesterday. We were patient and tried to work openings but came up against a good defence and a goalkeeper on form. Despite that we still created enough opportunities to win the game but our finishing has let us down over the past couple of matches.

It would have been easy for Saints to simply pump balls forward, especially with the heavy pitch but that didn't happen and possibly shows how much we've developed as a team. Wotherspoon was important in that and playing an unfamiliar role, he deserves credit, although the game was suited to Scott Brown, who probably needs to come back next month judging by our bench options yesterday. By trying to keep the ball moving against two banks of four, the spare man was routinely Fisher and I think the criticism of him has been harsh. There could have been a bit more quality on occasion, particularly from crosses, but he passed the ball well in the main I felt.

I'm not going to criticise Hearts for their approach with ten men and thought they defended well, even allowing for some of the chances that Saints passed up. The left back nullified O'Halloran pretty much but Alexander was the star and made some great blocks. As Tommy Wright said, those saves with his feet aren't just luck.

Hard games for Saints recently and more coming up but despite the cushion we have, you don't want one win in four becoming one win in six or seven, so really need something from three tough games over the festive period.

Until the sending off I thought hearts had the slight better of it although there wasn't much in it but it looked like they were trying to play football.

The sending off was a moment of madness from Juanma but from seeing other games it has been a matter of time before he did something like this. I'm not sure how much contact there was as it was a fair distance away but it was total stupidity from him and he let his team mates down badly.

After the sending off I thought St Johnstone used the ball well and knocked it about trying to draw hearts out. Hearts put up an excellent defensive display though and I thought Augustyn was very good and Gomis put in some shift. St Johnstone were unlucky not to get a goal, some good goal keeping and some poor finishing.

St Johnstone will be disappointed and should have got a win but I think hearts do deserve a bit of credit for the spirit and effort they put in. An entertaining 0-0

Ps. Is John Sutton running in slow motion or is that his full pace???

Good point considering the circumstances.

Another clean sheet for the bomb scare Oshaniwa. 13 appearances and been involved in 3 defeats, maybe he's not quite as bad as some folk make out.

He was brilliant yesterday, first full back who's stunted O'Halloran for the full 90.

So St Johnstone played Sutton and o'halloran's main asset is pace, looks like Robbie knows Saints better than themselves!!

Obviously saints fans were saying their style has changed from last year, I always see saints being well organised and keeping it tight and hitting on the break. You say you struggle versus ten men, do you think that's because you aren't used to teams sitting in and saints having to force the game?

Anyway I would've taken a draw to begin with then after that fuckwit got sent off it seems a good result.

Archived