• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gotta feel sorry for Rovers fans, two Friday night games in a row away to QOTS and then Morton. What idiot thought that one up?! <_<

At least it cost them nothing in the sense that the home team bears the cost of the sh1t attendance. One thing that is becoming clear is that if you are in any way likely to give the top teams a game, you qualify for being a TV game which means moving the match to an anti social time and day. As things stand, Morton have had:

1) Both Rangers home games moved to Sunday 12:30 and Monday 7:45 respectively at a cost of a few thousand fans overall plus significant loss of hospitality income.

2) Lost first Hibs Saturday game to the weather

3) Home derby to St Mirren moved to Friday night for Alba

Plus if Hibs are still threatening Rangers and Morton are still fourth or thereabouts come March, our other home Hibs game will likely be on TV on a Friday or Monday.

Clubs get no compensation for league games being moved to suit TV. All the TV money drops into the general league pot which is just not right. I have no issue with the bulk being in the pot but only after compensating the team suffering from the move.

At least it cost them nothing in the sense that the home team bears the cost of the sh1t attendance. One thing that is becoming clear is that if you are in any way likely to give the top teams a game, you qualify for being a TV game which means moving the match to an anti social time and day. As things stand, Morton have had:

1) Both Rangers home games moved to Sunday 12:30 and Monday 7:45 respectively at a cost of a few thousand fans overall plus significant loss of hospitality income.

Plus if Hibs are still threatening Rangers and Morton are still fourth or thereabouts come March, our other home Hibs game will likely be on TV on a Friday or Monday.

Clubs get no compensation for league games being moved to suit TV. All the TV money drops into the general league pot which is just not right. I have no issue with the bulk being in the pot but only after compensating the team suffering from the move.

Rovers have been the most unlucky & I'm not just saying that because that's who I support, 3 live matches on Alba this season & all Friday night away matches (St Mirren, QOS & tomorrow Morton).

Rovers have been the most unlucky & I'm not just saying that because that's who I support, 3 live matches on Alba this season & all Friday night away matches (St Mirren, QOS & tomorrow Morton).

Some would say thats lucky

Jesus wept.

Away derby also moved to friday night for alba.

My stance is based on Morton being around £60-100k worse off because their home games against the league's biggest clubs have been shifted from a Saturday. Your stance is based on?

Morton though, as members of the SPFL have agreed to these TV deals, albeit indirectly. Of course I've got sympathy for the club, and in the case of the Hibs game, you can't compete with Mother Nature.

However, the club will receive prize money at the end of the season- where does that come from? Ladbrokes, BT, SKY, the BBC, STV and ALBA presumably. The club could of course make representation about the terms of these deals- specifically the ALBA one. What do they actually contribute?

My bugbear is down to simple economics- basically nobody want Rangers' home games (apart from maybe against Hibs) because anyone that's really interested is at the game anyway, so their home crowds don't suffer whilst our's and similar sized clubs do. Also, we suffer with the St. Mirren fixture in that it's pretty much the most attractive fixture that ALBA are allowed to show, having paid what I reckon's a miniscule amount for coverage.

You'll know the figures better than I do, but come May/June when the prize money's been dished out might be a better time to weigh up the costs and benefits. If the club is at a loss, there's nothing to stop someone from Morton standing for the SPFL board and representing the interests of Morton and others in this position.

If it means telling ALBA to bolt, then great. You'll see no complaints from most of us.

My stance is based on Morton being around £60-100k worse off because their home games against the league's biggest clubs have been shifted from a Saturday. Your stance is based on?

You can hardly blame Alba for losing the club money when we probably do just as much damage to ourselves behind the scenes.

How much is Morton worse off by not having a viable commercial department?

Morton, and indeed all clubs at this level, lapped up the TV money brought in by Rangers going into the Third Division without being inconvenienced in any way.

Can't have it all ways.

How much is the Alba deal actually worth?

Gotta feel sorry for Rovers fans, two Friday night games in a row away to QOTS and then Morton. What idiot thought that one up?! <_<

Why? Even on a Saturday you're probably only looking at a couple of hundred travelling. Televising the game just means more of us will actually see the game.

It's the home club I feel sorry for when the game gets shifted for Alba. I doubt the money the clubs get from Alba will cover the reduced crowds. Crowds are usually down at this time of year anyway, but having a league game this Friday, when loads of folk will be at works parties is bad planning.

Archived