How can there be so many shit footballers?

paranoid android

I would consider my mate to be absolutely brilliant but best level he has played at is East Superleague... Shows the level the guys are at even at your Montroses and East Stirlings.

I'd consider myself to be a reasonably good player too but best I've had is a a junior club wanting me when I was 17 and told I had a good chance of making Scotland under 16 level when watching them train at Gussie when I was a pup.

I'm utter shite in comparison to the pros though, I call players shite regularly but know perfectly well that I'm nowhere near the level of them.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ive played fives against ex pro players and like everyone else noticed how good they are despite being relatively shite in their profession.

The thing I don't get though is decent players who can't beat the first man at corners or are completely one footed. There's a great feature on soccer am where players take a corner from both sides and have to score. Nearly always the best two footed players are European. Charlie Adam was on it and was so one footed it was unreal.

Is it not your job to practice this? David Beckham was a great example of making the most of his talent.

Ive played fives against ex pro players and like everyone else noticed how good they are despite being relatively shite in their profession.

The thing I don't get though is decent players who can't beat the first man at corners or are completely one footed. There's a great feature on soccer am where players take a corner from both sides and have to score. Nearly always the best two footed players are European. Charlie Adam was on it and was so one footed it was unreal.

Is it not your job to practice this? David Beckham was a great example of making the most of his talent.

Scott McLaughlin, a regular lower league target of abuse, was taking corners with both feet last week. The fact it was impressive perhaps shows how rare it is.

I got a place on the Clyde fans v Clyde legends game for my 18th birthday and I was absolutely horrific compared to the ex players. Some absolute dinosaur I'd never even heard of booted the ball on the volley from the half way line and had to force the keeper into a decent save. Pat Nevin skinned about 6 players, IIRC someone had to pull him down in the box to stop him and a 17 stone (at least) Paddy Keogh scored a hat trick.

I think I touched the ball 3 times.

As the good lord said, "Do unto them first so they can't do unto you". Makes me think Jesus was an Airdrie player.

Why would you do that in a bounce game? Even if you wanted to, you would need to be able to time a bad tackle well which is unlikely if you can't make a good one. If you miss, even the slightest most lightweight pro will have the timing to get you.

Why would you do that in a bounce game? Even if you wanted to, you would need to be able to time a bad tackle well which is unlikely if you can't make a good one. If you miss, even the slightest most lightweight pro will have the timing to get you.

Anyone who halfs someone intentionally in a game of 5's/7's is a complete walloper. Really embarrassing to see.

Haven't seen this soccer am but growing up Charlie Adam was in same team as me and as a kid he certainly was not just one footed player. Scored some awesome goals with his left. He just has a really good left foot and isn't afraid to shoot. Never has been.

As a left footed player who was at least comfortable with the right I have to say left footers get a hard time. People never notice if right footers use one foot all the time.

Haven't seen this soccer am but growing up Charlie Adam was in same team as me and as a kid he certainly was not just one footed player. Scored some awesome goals with his left. He just has a really good left foot and isn't afraid to shoot. Never has been.

For me sticking to this thread only Charlie Adam I have played along side before he left and a player called Jamie winter I've played against but I'm sure he went to play down south when he was younger for a few years. Unsure where he is now.

Charlie was good but his dad new the contacts to get himself to rangers and the scouts to come and watch him.

Jamie mccunnie was a few years older than me and Gary Kenneth is a few years younger.

Jamie Winter went down to Leeds and then had brief spells with Aberdeen, St.Johnstone and Montrose. He is at Broughty just now.

As a left footed player who was at least comfortable with the right I have to say left footers get a hard time. People never notice if right footers use one foot all the time.

Aye but right footers are never described as having a cultured right foot....

Geez has fairly fallen down. Was a good player.

I remember him being excellent at school level and then he got all these trials down south before ending up at Leeds. Another player who maybe peaked in terms of potential when he was much younger. I'm sure Broughty look after him pretty well.

Speaking of pro players failing to get the basics right, something which annoys me when watching the football (especially Utd at the moment) is when you see defenders failing to keep an attacker on his weaker foot.

Even at 5-a-side kickabout level this is basic stuff and it's infuriating as a fan to see a defender fail to realise this when he should be aware of his opponent's strengths and intentions.

The level of scrutiny, public exposure, peer pressure, the consequence of failure. It's an altogether different environment. If you can't work that out I doubt you really follow football.

If you're going to be condescending then at least think it through. There are numerous jobs that meet your criteria. Are you seriously suggesting there are no footballers who are poor at their jobs or, for example, athletes, actors, politicians, musicians...?

If you're going to be condescending then at least think it through. There are numerous jobs that meet your criteria. Are you seriously suggesting there are no footballers who are poor at their jobs or, for example, athletes, actors, politicians, musicians...?

In comparison to other professionals,yes. But not in this context.

I used to play in a 5s league on a Sunday night, in the lower of two divisions. As we were waiting for our game to kick off, we watched two of the top teams in the top league play. One of them included a player who would come off the bench for Alloa against Rangers on the following Wednesday. He was absolutely unbelievable in the 5s setting. He had the usual tricks and flicks, but it was the speed and physical strength of the guy that meant he just breezed past everyone. In the end, the people up against them were going in waist high with some absolutely shocking challenges. Couldn't stop him though.

Then he looked decidedly average at best midweek.

Sounds like Eddie Ferns to me

I've never played football against Jamie McCunnie but I did used to be pals with his ex burd.

Only played against a handful of pros and generally find that I am literally bouncing off these guys as I'm trying to tackle them. The strength of professional athletes should not be underestimated!

Having said that I most recently played against Andy Brown (ex Alloa I think?) and he had completely lost it...if he ever had it.

Archived