Historical Events In Scottish History

Akritoi

This is not necessarily a poll on Millitary achievements, but what is most important for you in the history of Scotland. Here is mine:

1. The Wars of Independence - C'mon, what else has given Scotland that sense of nationhood? It was a crowning achievement in Scottish history to be able to stand up to the first Knight of Christiandom and almost be named a Papal State.

2. The Scottish Unification - The act that started the roller coaster ride. Although it lost us our lands in Ireland, it brought about the birth of a nation.

3. The British Empire - Aye, alright, a British event in the main. However, Scottish troops were regularly at the forefront of every battle, showing the elite warriors of Scotland.

4. The Declaration of Arbroath - One of the most important documents in World History written in 1320. It did not end the Wars against England, but it was the first sign of a true Scottish nation that would not be brought to Heal by an English king.

5. The Norman Invasion - After the death of the last Celtic king, MacBeth, David I assumed the throne and brought in his Norman Lords. Thus began the most turbulent period in Western History.

Honourable mentions go to The Act of Union in the 1700s, the Jacobite rebellions and other individual actions.

This is not necessarily a poll on Millitary achievements, but what is most important for you in the history of Scotland. Here is mine:

1. The Wars of Independence - C'mon, what else has given Scotland that sense of nationhood? It was a crowning achievement in Scottish history to be able to stand up to the first Knight of Christiandom and almost be named a Papal State.

2. The Scottish Unification - The act that started the roller coaster ride. Although it lost us our lands in Ireland, it brought about the birth of a nation.

3. The British Empire - Aye, alright, a British event in the main. However, Scottish troops were regularly at the forefront of every battle, showing the elite warriors of Scotland.

4. The Declaration of Arbroath - One of the most important documents in World History written in 1320. It did not end the Wars against England, but it was the first sign of a true Scottish nation that would not be brought to Heal by an English king.

5. The Norman Invasion - After the death of the last Celtic king, MacBeth, David I assumed the throne and brought in his Norman Lords. Thus began the most turbulent period in Western History.

Honourable mentions go to The Act of Union in the 1700s, the Jacobite rebellions and other individual actions.

639464[/snapback]

Sorry, but,

BO--O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-R-I-N-G. :thumbsdown

What about the Great War? If it's okay to include The British empire (hardly an 'event'), then World War One merits a mention. It was the root cause of women getting the vote, the planting of the acorn of cynicism in the British people, it led to WW2, not to mention the sheer scale of death and destruction it caused.

However, this whole topic is banal imo.

639464[/snapback]

Is there not some History Lovers Forum you can take this to, Shirley?

Very interesting to some maybe but to P&B.....???? hmmmm!

BTW I don't recall the Scottish Nation being healed by an English King! :unsure:

Was it sick? :P

Is there not some History Lovers Forum you can take this to, Shirley?

Very interesting to some maybe but to P&B.....???? hmmmm!

BTW I don't recall the Scottish Nation being healed by an English King! :unsure:

Was it sick?  :P

640126[/snapback]

Yeah had a bit of chesty cough - but some benelin soon sorted it out?

Aren't we the sick man of Europe?

Yeah had a bit of chesty cough - but some benelin soon sorted it out?

Aren't we the sick man of Europe?

640164[/snapback]

Not If an English King Healed us with Benylin( note spelling)!

The Battle of Halidon Hill - Finally ended all the changing of hands Berwick-upon-Tweed did hundereds of years ago. The English won and Berwick took up its place in its rightful country.

Wallace Dies - William Wallace is killed and his body quartered. One quarter is sent to Berwick and was buried down at Wallace Green south of the town centre.

Brazil 98 - Tom Boyds own goal against World Chamions Brazil.

Wembley 96 - The best goal the world has ever seen and finally buried the Scots in Euro 96.

Curling Gold Medal - Scotlands greatest sporting moment. An all Scottish team wins Olympic gold at the Winter Olympics.

Narrowly missing out is the defeat to Costa Rica and the draw with the Faroe Islands and David Coulthard failing in Formula 1 every year. Suppose I will have to give you the Jim Clark and Jackie Stewart championships though :rolleyes:

As I said, events which are important to you. These events in history are important to me. If you do not agree with them, post your own ones like others have done.

1. 1874 - Morton form.

2. 1893 - Morton admitted to the Scottish League

3. 1922 - Morton win the Scottish Cup

4. 1948 - Morton and r*ng*rs set the UK record for the attendance at a midweek game (133,000).

5. 2003 - Two years after almost going out of business, Morton win the 3rd division on the last day of the season.

The rest is nothing.

AT

As I said, events which are important to you. These events in history are important to me. If you do not agree with them, post your own ones like others have done.

640566[/snapback]

You didnae expect the philistines on here to appreciate that did you, mate?

Archived