Away fans visiting Ibrox

Rangers abuse of away fans  

237 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The throwing things and acting out of the rules is completely over egged, there are no statistics to back any of it up, I am not saying it never happens but in proportion no less or no more than any other ground, our fans, especially the ones near the away fans tend to try and make it a hostile environment but it is mainly what you see on Saturday, wee fannies goading each other with words and the occasional mock charge that they have no intention of completing, both sets of fans safe in the knowledge that plod and the Stewards will stop anything serious from developing and they do.

I have been in similar situations at other grounds where I have found myself on the receiving end of non stop abuse from people who have no intention of watching a game of football, if I go back then I know what is in store, fair enough I say and part of watching football at times. Outside of grounds I hide my colours it situations where those colours could provoke violence in certain individuals, I am never going to change these people but I am comfortable that I can avoid any bother. If I was really that concerned then again I could just stay away, nobody is forcing me to do anything.

Alternatively, nobody should be stopped from going to the football because these guys go. It's your choice to attend as much as theirs and simply accepting that violence happens is the wrong way to tackle the problem. But it seems you don't really believe the problem is there, so we'll leave it at that.

Question 2 needs more options

In the Broomloan corner I have seen the following personally

coins (enough to buy Rangers at Craig Whyte prices 50 times over) usually 2ps tho, not exactly throwing pound coins down Govan way.

golf balls

peh tins (one has a stone in it to give a better flightpath)

stones

and just the once mind, a dart!

So its OK for away fans to shout abuse at a Rangers fan but if Rangers fans shout abuse back...........

Sticky Vicky ran over to the segregated section giving it big licks, I think she regretted it a couple of seconds later. Even the Polis were pishing themselves at her.

Shouting abuse is common occurence. What's being discussed isn't that though. Another lovely attempt at a sweep under the carpet though, Sweep.

Yes it clearly is being discussed, it seems abuse can be dished out but getting it back is apparently different.

I am not saying it never happens but in proportion no less or no more than any other ground

Utter bollocks Ted. Do you actually believe these whoppers as you type them?

I have been to about 300 Stirling Albion away games in my life. And the only time I have seen a fan hit with something (a coin) was at Ibrox three seasons ago. It was a young laddie as well. SAFC took it up with Rangers. No doubt they couldn't give a fck. If it was a player who was hit there'd be something done because the authorities would force it. But a 13 year old there with his dad, yeah sorry about that, nothing on CCTV, nothing to see, WATP.

Maybe if the directors of the away clubs sit in the away corner they might get a reality check for what away fans get for their £20.

Yes it clearly is being discussed, it seems abuse can be dished out but getting it back is apparently different.

The OP has distinctly asked if things were thrown. No one's getting upset about some p***k calling them names. There's plenty of shouts betweens fans, it's part of the day, being struck by coins, lighters, bottles etc is not on though. Carry on deflecting though, Sweep.

Utter bollocks Ted. Do you actually believe these whoppers as you type them?

I have been to about 300 Stirling Albion away games in my life. And the only time I have seen a fan hit with something (a coin) was at Ibrox three seasons ago. It was a young laddie as well. SAFC took it up with Rangers. No doubt they couldn't give a fck. If it was a player who was hit there'd be something done because the authorities would force it. But a 13 year old there with his dad, yeah sorry about that, nothing on CCTV, nothing to see, WATP.

Maybe if the directors of the away clubs sit in the away corner they might get a reality check for what away fans get for their £20.

Yup, I've visited almost every ground in the country following Sons and the only time I've ever seen anybody hit with an object was at Ibrox - my 70 odd year old Papa got conked on the bunnet with a 50p. He emailed Rangers for a moan about it and got nothing back. Hardly surprising.

I remember posting on here at the time and the retort was the same; "Did you video it"? Funnily enough no I didn't, it wasn't something I was suspecting. "Ach well it didn't happen then".

All Rangers fans know it goes on, I firmly believe that, it's just strange that some take the attitude that supporters of every visiting club are making it up and it's all a conspiracy because they don't have video evidence.

50p was a decent amount to chuck in all fairness to whoever did it

my advice to anyone going to Ibrox is do what I do, sit the the upper seats nearest the TV screens, that shadows you from possible missiles and when you arrive at Ibrox the stewards will tell you "just sit anywhere, I don't have time to del with your pish and move people" (super customer service friendly in that job, but bear in mind they are only on about 40 quid a day)

So its OK for away fans to shout abuse at a Rangers fan but if Rangers fans shout abuse back...........

Verbal Abuse is fair game. Throwing objects and gobbing on other humans isn't. It's fucking animal like.

It happened on our first trip the other year. As per the coins, lighters, grogging etc. One individual was spotted grogging on a child from above and the Police seen it, to which their reply was "we can't do anything because it's in the stadium, only the stewards can" which is utter nonsense. He sat with a smile the rest of the game, until after the match when the boys father who was spat on lamped him one. Not that it should have happened.

It is a recurring theme and my advice would be, don't go back.

Like I said I did not say it never happens and it does not really matter if its a player or fan of course it is unacceptable but to try and single out Ibrox as the hotbed of missile throwing activity that happens every other week is simply bollix.

Google is your friend, there are a fair few articles which are about coins being thrown at Scottish football grounds, including the Daily Mail article with the Stirling Albion Fan you mentioned but also a fair few articles about Pittodrie, Dens, Tannadice, Tynecastle, New Douglas Park, Easter Road, in fact I would not be surprised if you could find some missile throwing event at virtually every ground in Scotland, however it is also clear that it is in fact fairly rare, certainly not anywhere near the hyperbole being displayed in this thread.

Once again "aye but look at everyone else!!". The difference is a missile being thrown at any other ground would be seen as fairly shocking. With Rangers the damning thing is that no one is the least bit surprised.

Tell you what, next time there's a decent away support at Ibrox put yourself in there and I reckon you would be appalled.

Once again "aye but look at everyone else!!". The difference is a missile being thrown at any other ground would be seen as fairly shocking. With Rangers the damning thing is that no one is the least bit surprised.

Tell you what, next time there's a decent away support at Ibrox put yourself in there and I reckon you would be appalled.

That's an interesting idea, I actually thought about asking a few of my Rangers supporting mates if they fancied sitting in our end for the game just so they could see what it's like.

Personally if I sat at the away end at a Sons home match and I saw our fans behaving like animals then I'd be mortified. Or at least I'd like to think I would be, maybe however (like the Rangers fans on this thread) I'd naturally stick up for them and start the deflection tactics.

It's all irrelevant, because (outside of Celtic) no fans in the country behave like Rangers fans.

Archived