Ibrox Disaster 1971....Were you there?

It was the year I was born, I was always under the impression as a child that my uncle was among the dead that day, subsequent family chat ( due to this thread) has revealed he actually perished in the one around 10 years before, again on stairway 13. I believe there were 2 fatalities.

I'm not in the habit of visiting Rangers historical sites and my googling hasn't revealed much about it - obviously 1902 & 1971 get far more coverage.

If any bears ( or anyone else) could provide links to the incident I'm talking about, I'd be most grateful. Unfortunately everyone on that side of my family is gone now, so I have no details. I believe my Uncles name was George Nelson.

It was the year I was born, I was always under the impression as a child that my uncle was among the dead that day, subsequent family chat ( due to this thread) has revealed he actually perished in the one around 10 years before, again on stairway 13. I believe there were 2 fatalities.

I'm not in the habit of visiting Rangers historical sites and my googling hasn't revealed much about it - obviously 1902 & 1971 get far more coverage.

If any bears ( or anyone else) could provide links to the incident I'm talking about, I'd be most grateful. Unfortunately everyone on that side of my family is gone now, so I have no details. I believe my Uncles name was George Nelson.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/rangers/8230519/The-life-was-being-squeezed-out-of-you-and-you-couldnt-even-shout-because-nothing-would-come-out.html

16th September in a 2-2 draw v celtic , your uncles name will be on the wall below the john greig statue

Thanks FB, appreciate it, I'll probably have a wee trip out to Ibrox next time I'm back in the UK to see the memorial and read the names, it's weird that as you get older you somehow feel a connection to past generations.... Even those you never met.

My uncle's brother (also my uncle) was walking beside him that day and lost contact, he travelled home with no shoes on (lost in the crush) and it wasn't until very late that evening that my great aunt was informed her son had died.

Since nobody added anything else, it was only youngsy and me that were there that day in 1971.

Suppose you'd need to be at least in your 50s.

Thought there might have been more.

I used to go to all the Rangers games back then but I got older and eventually gave up trying to justify their signing policies after I went to uni and then became a teacher. Round about that time I met my Mrs from up north and discovered Caley :thumsup2

Went back after the signing of mojo but it no longer had any interest for me.

I missed that particular game, I suppose you could call it a premonition or maybe you could say I was scared of Rangers getting humped :lol:

Anyway my mate went and we thought he was a goner, no way of contacting people in those days. We stayed in Midlothian, so eventually he rolled off the supporters bus about 8pm wondering what all the fuss was about. He saw the end of the game as well, and went down stairway 13.

Those stairs at each side used to terrify me. It was safer to go over to the Cowshed (now the Govan Stand) then go out that way. At Hampden you could get out of the Rangers end anywhere but at Ibrox you only had those two exits.

I used to go to all the Rangers games back then but I got older and eventually gave up trying to justify their signing policies after I went to uni and then became a teacher. Round about that time I met my Mrs from up north and discovered Caley :thumsup2

Went back after the signing of mojo but it no longer had any interest for me.

I missed that particular game, I suppose you could call it a premonition or maybe you could say I was scared of Rangers getting humped :lol:

Anyway my mate went and we thought he was a goner, no way of contacting people in those days. We stayed in Midlothian, so eventually he rolled off the supporters bus about 8pm wondering what all the fuss was about. He saw the end of the game as well, and went down stairway 13.

Those stairs at each side used to terrify me. It was safer to go over to the Cowshed (now the Govan Stand) then go out that way. At Hampden you could get out of the Rangers end anywhere but at Ibrox you only had those two exits.

Thanks for that.

Was the Govan/Centenary Stand side called the Cowshed?

Never knew it had a name/nickname, sure i saw something yonks ago that it was called the North Enclosure and it was a few pennies extra to get in there.

Edited by Glenconner

My dad was a regular at Ibrox and called the side the Jungle. He also called Celtic ****.(h-word) Thistle were my local club and i would go with my mates and became hooked but he would take me now and then to Ibrox. i remember a huge wall was built at the top of Stairway 13 after the disaster to slow down the flow onto the stairs. He was at the disaster game but had been given a main stand ticket so also got home oblivious to what had happened.

Edited by BillyAnchor

My dad was a regular at Ibrox and called the side the Jungle. He also called Celtic ****.(h-word) Thistle were my local club and i would go with my mates and became hooked but he would take me now and then to Ibrox. i remember a huge wall was built at the top of Stairway 13 after the disaster to slow down the flow onto the stairs. He was at the disaster game but had been given a main stand ticket so also got home oblivious to what had happened.

Never heard it called the Jungle?

Both clubs used the H word as in the song "Go home ya h***".

And your correct about the wall. I remember the capacity of Ibrox going up after the disaster to 85,000.

Thanks for that.

Was the Govan/Centenary Stand side called the Cowshed?

Never knew it had a name/nickname, sure i saw something yonks ago that it was called the North Enclosure and it was a few pennies extra to get in there.

No there was free movement into the area from the Copland or Broomloan ends. Only at old firm games was there segregation and I think Celtic got part of that terracing just as Rangers got part of the Jungle at Parkhead.

What they did have in those days was a transfer into the Main Stand or the Enclosure below it. The enclosure cost a couple of bob extra once you were in the ground, so it was worth paying into the boys' gate first. As a young lad, the bonus was you could see the players warming up in the gym which ran the length of the stand.

In 73 they put bench seats in the north terracing and called it the Centenary Stand.

Edited by The Mantis

Don't remember it being called the jungle, just the cowshed. I think I remember the h-word. I'm sure they used to sing 'go home ya ****' if they were winning but the celtic fans seemed to persevere with it more and it caught on. Maybe the Rangers fans just had loads of other words they preferred :lol:

I think I remember the wall too. I think it sort of funnelled you sideways at the top of the terracing and slowed down the number of folk arriving at the top of the steps.

"Back then" it wasn't unusual to get crushed or literally get swept off your feet at big events. I've mentioned this before but I've experienced this at Ibrox Hampden and Murrayfield (before strict ticketing was introduced).

What is now the Copland end at Ibrox was 'then' somewhere you'd really need crampons to climb up.

Found the thread , post by the poster dirty Arab a few posts into the page

http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php/topic/209779-your-old-stadium/page-13

Also would suggest reading the thread , an excellent read

Thanks for that mate, that's a brilliant thread.