Celtic V Motherwell 19/12/15

After yesterday I am now feeling a bit more confident about this one, however I am still going in hope of a miracle result but we will have to be clinical when we do get our chances, hopefully we play like we did yesterday and emulate Killie and Hearts in getting a draw

Either a 1-0 defeat or a 0-0 draw for me

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have definitely improved over the past few weeks and look a threat going forward.

Problem is that we are good to concede at least one goal per game.

Celtic have been poor in Europe but a 3-0 away win to an in form St Johnstone tells me and most of the SPFL how much a gulf still exists.

I expect we will lose by a few, but stranger things have happened.

IT IS THE 4 games after Celtic that will shape what season we will have.

I'm less concerned about this game than I would have been had we been going into it having lost yesterday. As it goes our better performances have been in games that we've not really been expected to take anything from. We've still by no means turned the corner but we've been improving game on game and we've nothing really to lose in this one.

Will be interesting to see what McGhee does team-wise. He seems to have settled on a system that for the most part suits the players we've got and should allow us to set up to counter attack without changing much so in that respect I'd be surprised if he opted to alter things too much.

If nothing else Pearson, Lasley and Grimshaw allow us to compete physically in the centre of the park. If he wanted to go with a midfield 5 rather than 3 it'd mean dropping either Moult who's our top scorer or McDonald who's becoming increasingly influential under McGhee so that seems unlikely.

We're still liable to chuck at least one in a game so any notion of trying to sit in and keep it tight defensively is just daft. Hopefully we'll at least try and have a go.

Will be interesting to see what McGhee does team-wise. He seems to have settled on a system that for the most part suits the players we've got and should allow us to set up to counter attack without changing much so in that respect I'd be surprised if he opted to alter things too much.

He does not have a preferred set up per se but rather alters his tactics to suit the players he has at his disposal.

He does not have a preferred set up per se but rather alters his tactics to suit the players he has at his disposal.

From listening to his interviews it has seemed to me that his preferred set up is 433 (or a modified version thereof).

Where possible and when he's had a full squad to choose from he's played 3 central midfielders, which suggests that's his preference. It's also the system that's got our better results of late (Aberdeen, Hearts, Dundee).

Agree with your point in the respect that when Lasley wasn't available he just made do and went 442 rather than try and make the 433 work.

Edit: After the Ross County shambles McGhee was pointing out that not having Lasley available meant that he couldn't play 3 central midfielders. Which suggests to me that it's his preferred set up with this group.

An irrelevance in Europe, AND no-one gives a shit about your games in Scotland.

No wonder the Celtic fans have been bored for the last few years.

Going to the game on Saturday Romeo?

Archived