New Forfar manager

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps you're right. I didn't exactly realise Forfar were so close to the bottom so an experienced appointment to see them avoid the drop this season is needed. Someone like Jeffries etc for 6 months would be ideal then I'd like to see Forfar go the way I suggested above. I know there's the chance it could back fire but Forfar has the potential to be a lower end championship side.

To be honest I think people overestimate how much impact a new manager will have anyway, in the short term at least. Look at last season, Ayr replaced Roberts with McCall and were equally as bad in terms of points gained per game. Dunfermline sacked Jefferies and got no better. Stenny maybe improved marginally after Booth but still finished 9th when they had a great opportunity to finish above Ayr. 2 years ago when we sacked Boyle and appointed Bollan our results for the first 2 months were just as bad as under Boyle, it was only when he shipped out half the squad and signed about 5 or 6 players that we improved. Even look at Dundee Utd this season, no better now than they were under McNamara. Numerous other examples from recent years like Hibs and Motherwell.

Forfar's season will rest on whether they get their injuries cleared up and who they can sign that's any good, the actual manager probably wont make much difference (beyond their ability to sign decent players obviously).

To be honest I think people overestimate how much impact a new manager will have anyway, in the short term at least. Look at last season, Ayr replaced Roberts with McCall and were equally as bad in terms of points gained per game. Dunfermline sacked Jefferies and got no better. Stenny maybe improved marginally after Booth but still finished 9th when they had a great opportunity to finish above Ayr. 2 years ago when we sacked Boyle and appointed Bollan our results for the first 2 months were just as bad as under Boyle, it was only when he shipped out half the squad and signed about 5 or 6 players that we improved. Even look at Dundee Utd this season, no better now than they were under McNamara. Numerous other examples from recent years like Hibs and Motherwell.

Forfar's season will rest on whether they get their injuries cleared up and who they can sign that's any good, the actual manager probably wont make much difference (beyond their ability to sign decent players obviously).

Ayr's performances, if not results improved under McCall. I think we would of went down under Roberts. Agree with your general point, recently it seems a new manager (during the season) bringing an upturn in form is an exception.

Really don't think Sellars is the answer, but by going by how much the Chairman loves him it's a real possibility. Happy to be proven wrong though!!

I would think that we've all watched football long enough to know that there are no guarantees when it comes to signing players or appointing managers. Sometimes a manager and a club just "click".

Many Forfar fans reckon we played some of our best football last season pre Xmas (with Sellars as coach) and that once Pink came back in, the quality dropped. I'm sure they would be happy if it played out that way again.

Away to Rovers and then a home game against the Pars - two matches against arguably the form teams in the League (apologies Ayr). Followed up by a local Derby... It couldn't really be a tougher start for whoever is in charge! Hope the supporters get right behind the team.

Sellars would be a really uninspiring appointment, he works for the chairman so he would likely be a puppet. I just don't see how he could get the best out of the current squad, especially with the amount of experienced pro's.

I would prefer someone who has managed at this level.

I see Dayle Robertson scored SIX for the Develpment team last night and yet Dick never gave him one chance prefering to play without a striker or have Derek Young hobble around up top pointing.......

Dayle isnt quite good enough at this level yet...6 goals against a young east striling team is good but he has to sort out his attitude on the park 1st....i take it you havent seen him play yet (like the others calling for him to play) ??

Dayle isnt quite good enough at this level yet...6 goals against a young east striling team is good but he has to sort out his attitude on the park 1st....i take it you havent seen him play yet (like the others calling for him to play) ??

You never know if a player is good enough until you try him. Everyone has to start somewhere and why not when the boy is confident and cracking in goals? The attitude thing would def change if you put him in a team of more experienced players. Kind of the wee fish in a bigger pond type of thing.

I've seen him play, just not as much as you. The lad clearly knows where the net is. How many Development games did the Campbells attend?

I've seen him play, just not as much as you. The lad clearly knows where the net is. How many Development games did the Campbells attend?

Most of them, as they are the usually the same nights as training. I'm all for the youngsters getting a chance, really like young Kerr and this lad Dayle must be worth a look at it if he is finding the net.

On the flip side, I thought Kennedy was really poor last week and Smith disappoints every time he gets his chance. Its not the answer to simply fling them all into the 1st team.

Archived