P&B Dead Pool 2016

Spain

Yes, it's that time of year again. The sun has not yet set on 2015 (alas, the sun has not set on anyone on my 2015 list either) but it's time to start submitting your entries for next year.

If you know the idea and have played in a previous P&B Dead Pool, send me a PM with your squad of 15 names and reasons for fame when you're ready. The rules are mostly as per previous years, with me not vetting picks when you submit. If you pick someone who's ineligible e.g. someone who's either too young or already dead (you'd be surprised how often this happens) then your pick will stand but will be ineligible for points. In other words, you'll be playing the game with a 14 person team. That's your gamble.

Otherwise, here's the big changes:

Rule Changes

1. The Sub Rule - The big one, and all new for Dead Pool 2016... You can now make a substitution during the season. But only one. This must be done both via PM and publicly on this thread. Your substitution will not take effect until 2 weeks after you notify. If during that standing time your new pick dies you don't get the points AND you lose the pick you were removing. Substitutions are only eligible for base points and do not affect previous entrants solo-shots / deadly duos. Inelligible picks MAY NOT be subbed out.
  2. The Lauren Hill Rule - US College Sports stars or coaches will no longer be allowed.
  3. The Liz Taylor Rule - No, not that one. If the person is a relative of a famous person, is he or she also a celebrity? I'm going to go simple with this one; does the person have their own genuine wikipedia or full IMDB page? No, then no dice.

It's free to enter and with no prizes other than the satisfaction of being a wee bit like the grim reaper, the strange feeling when you’re scrolling through twitter on the train, see someone on your list has died, and punch the air in celebration, and the opportunity to make terrible jokes on this thread when someone famous dies.

There are rules:

Teams contain 15 picks. One pick is a "captain" who scores extra bonus points should they die. This year your captain will score more based on their age so a younger captain will score more than an older one. 

You can't pick the same person more than once. 

The game starts at midnight on January 1st 2015 and runs until December 31st 2016. Entries have to be in before then. 

People have to be sufficiently famous that their obituary makes a UK-based national news source such as - but not limited to- BBC, national newspapers, or Reuters UK. Local newspapers and special interest magazines (Gardner's Weekly etc) aren't broad enough and don't count. 

Regarding this rule: I can't really rule anyone out on the grounds I've not heard of them- people in the past have picked a shedload of wrestlers who were probably all valid picks but I'd heard of none of them. However if your pick dies and isn't so obviously famous that it's all over the news then it's up to you to find a qualifying news story. The main ones where people have difficulty ticking this off are American-specific sports stars of bygone days (NFL, baseball etc) where their death goes totally unnoticed on this side of the pond.

Picks have to be human, real people (no soap opera characters etc) and over 18 years of age on 1/1/16. 

You're not allowed to pick people currently under sentence of death or awaiting trial where the death penalty is a viable outcome. If they’re fugitives on the run then they are eligible. 

You're not allowed to pick someone famous *purely* for being ill. This one has caused a bit of confusion before. You're allowed to pick someone famous who has –for example- cancer, and indeed this is a good strategy. This rule is about not picking folk that are raising loads of money for charity as they're about to die or anyone planning a glass of orange juice chez café Dignitas. 

You're not allowed to kill any of your picks. So if you do it, please make sure you get away with it. For all our sakes. 

If you pick someone that's already dead I'll try and let you know but the overall responsibility for your team is yours.

Scoring

Each "hit" is worth a base score of 125 points minus the person's age (no change from last year). So the younger they are if they go, the more points for you.

BONUS OPPORTUNITIES: The Nobel Peace Prize one doesn’t exist anymore. 

"First Blood" - First pick overall to die in the year gets bonus of 25 points for each person who had them 
"Solo Shot" - If you're the only one with a pick who dies ("Solo Shot"), you get a bonus of 30 points. 
"Deadly duo", 20 points for being one of two with that pick 
"Captain Calamity"- if your captain snuffs it you get another set of base points added on. 
"Deadly December" - as with the captain rule. What this means is that if your captain dies in December you get 3 x base and not 4 x base. 
"Last Gasp" - Last pick overall to die in the year gets bonus of 25 points per person who had them. 
"Unnatural causes"- 40 points if your pick is murdered, commits suicide, or dies in an accident. 
"Unlucky 13" - 13 bonus points if your pick dies on the 13th of the month. This is trebled to 39 if it's a Friday 13th. 
"Unhappy birthday"- 50 bonus points if your pick dies on their birthday 

In summary 

PM me your 15 picks including captain and their reason for fame if it's not obvious (I do know how to use google but it’s good to hear people’s reasons) by 31st December 2015 and I'll try to have the lists up on the 1st depending on hangover severity (unlikely tbh).

We don't really need dates of birth as this tends to be given when the person dies.
If you want to change your squad before 31st December you can within reason.
If you don't include a captain I'll default to the name at the top of your list.

We had around 100 entries last time and hopefully the success of last year’s will get more folk interested.

I’ll update this OP every couple of days to confirm receipt of entries just to make sure I haven't missed anyone out.

Any questions, stick them below.

CONFIRMED ENTRIES (99)

(click on the username below to go to the list reveals)

supermik

tinkerbelle

Bobby Skidmarks
Chris_DK

doulikefish

dee_62

Wilkinson1998

Marr1

gkneil

Billy Jean King

expatowner

BONACCORD1

Mr Bairn

Spain

the snudge

Savage Henry

Desp

JustOneCornetto

Staff Sergeant Dignam

D.V.T.

Jersey Bud

JasonElgin

weirdcal

qos_75

Miguel Sanchez

tree house tam

microdave

Bert Racoon

thisal

DA Baracus

Lex

David McG

Mr Rational

AsimButtHitsASix

53_and_counting

invergowrie arab

BigBadBassRock

Deeboy

Grim O'Grady

nessies long lost ghost

Michael W

sureiknow

The Naitch

pub car king

Sergeant Wilson

Enigma

ebbes20silkcut

wisbit

Cyclizine

gingette

Aberfeldy

Sweaty Morph

Mo Wonderboy

lolls

DBA

Ross.

alta-pete

Bluetoon87

speckled tangerine

cal234ey

craigiemack

The Master

pawpar

Sloop John B

Gareth_Glasgow

paulathame

Eednud

Aryj

Arabdownunder

Ned_Nederlander

AberdeenBud

DrewDon

JamieStevenson

Ben Twilly

LoonsYouthTeam

Sherrif John Bunnnel

ChoirBairn

mozam76

Fuctifano

dave_binos

Jarkko Wiss

Njord

smpar

Oddy

Raidernation

lichtgilphead

GordieBoy80

Once A Rover always a Rover

Ziggy

Bold Rover

50/50 Winner

weejack

johnnydun

Albino Rover

Cille Mhernaig

jupe1407

BalticSaint

honestrae95

cdisaccie

------------

STATS AND OTHER LINKS

Opening Stats

Solo Shots & Deadly Duos

Substitutions (Live Updates)

LATEST LEADERBOARD

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought it would mix it up again and keep people interested throughout the year. Wanted to make sure it wasn't as clear cut as add them on their deathbed though. There's a degree of risk involved in it.

I don't think my celebrity status goes any further than these 4 walls of pie and bovril. I think i shall partake in this, I'm going to say Michael Douglas as he's been on the way out for years.Anyone else who picks him is a cheat

I don't think my celebrity status goes any further than these 4 walls of pie and bovril. I think i shall partake in this, I'm going to say Michael Douglas as he's been on the way out for years.Anyone else who picks him is a cheat

More an idiot than a cheat if he's been not scoring points for years coffee3.gif

Same re his dad. Kirk is 99 now, so 26 points. Gee, ten hits of that age would get you high up the leaderboard.

New sub rule could be good for the rage it may induce if someone sticks in a sub and watches 20 other folk piling in :lol: , good idea about the 2 week bit though.

if you can make a substitute what happens if a celebrity is in an accident and ends up on life support? That would be cheating

Why would it be cheating?

Not keen on the new rule but I'm an auld fud that hates change so I wouldn't pay to much attention to me grumbling about it, I imagine it would have boosted my score this 'season' by a bit but a few other folk would no doubt have jumped on it which kinda negates the benefit of it.

if you can make a substitute what happens if a celebrity is in an accident and ends up on life support? That would be cheating

Then everyone has a 2 week sweat that the celeb holds on or they lose 2 chances (said celeb and the swap out) seems fair

Why would it be cheating?

Not keen on the new rule but I'm an auld fud that hates change so I wouldn't pay to much attention to me grumbling about it, I imagine it would have boosted my score this 'season' by a bit but a few other folk would no doubt have jumped on it which kinda negates the benefit of it.

Its not really fair though surely - there will likely be an event where someone relatively famous has an accident then everyone will jump right on it. Just seems a bit of an unfair rule.

I will probably make a list but i don't really know much about celebrities and their life expectancies.

Archived