Congratulations to Burntisland Shipyard

He had a howler for the winner, ball went through his legs but otherwise did what was asked of him.

I'm a tad gutted I'm working Saturdays as I'm sure I'd be vying for number 1 down there.

Especially having Jimmy as goalie coach.

Tynecastle FC have remained silent on the question of the club's request to the East of Scotland Football League to postpone the match against Burntisland Shipyard on 5th December.

As a club I feel that with the continuing comments about the club requesting a cancellation of the match and the Board of the

League granting the request I feel that some response is now necessary.

As you will remember it was announced on the day before the game that the Forth Bridge would be closed for an extended period.

The club sought advice and tried to make alternative travel plans for the Saturday.

The first problem was that no proper diversion routes had been put in place and the information we received was that nobody knew how long a journey from Edinburgh to Burntisland would take. The estimates were anything from 2-4 hours.At that time the Police advice was do not travel unless absolutely necessary. To ensure our arrival in time to prepare properly for the match we calculated that we would have required to leave Edinburgh before 10am, to ensure arrival before 1pm.

Players and officials invariably have plans for Saturday mornings and a few players had arranged to work on the Saturday

morning.

The club did consider taking the train. The times of the trains were not a problem. Once again Scot Rail did not have it's plans for extra trains and seats in place and therefore there was no guarantee that we would get on a train. A further difficulty

was the carrying of the team kit. at Tynecastle, as with other clubs at this level a fair amount of kit is carried for each

match.in order to get the kit to a suitable train Station we would have to have travelled from South Gyle or Dalmeny, which

then raised the problem of actually getting on a train due to potential overcrowding. Cost was another factor. It would have cost the club almost £200 to purchase the required number of return tickets. Once we reached Burntisland Station we then had the problem of getting to the ground. I understand that it is at least a 15 minute walk from the Station to the ground. Trying to carry all the kit would have been a challenge and so further expense would probably been incurred in hiring taxis for that part of the journey.

In the light of the above you now see why the club requested that the match be postponed. It was the fact that all this happened on the Friday that left it too late to make alternative arrangements.

Now that proper diversion routes have been put in place travelling to a match in Burntisland now would not present the difficulties that were envisaged two weeks ago.

I find it most galling that people like "surely not" come on to forums such as pie and bovril and criticise Clubs and the

League for decisions, which are not taken lightly, when they do not know all the facts or consequences of decisions taken.

Alistair Wilkie Tynecastle FC.

Tynecastle FC have remained silent on the question of the club's request to the East of Scotland Football League to postpone the match against Burntisland Shipyard on 5th December.

As a club I feel that with the continuing comments about the club requesting a cancellation of the match and the Board of the

League granting the request I feel that some response is now necessary.

As you will remember it was announced on the day before the game that the Forth Bridge would be closed for an extended period.

The club sought advice and tried to make alternative travel plans for the Saturday.

The first problem was that no proper diversion routes had been put in place and the information we received was that nobody knew how long a journey from Edinburgh to Burntisland would take. The estimates were anything from 2-4 hours.At that time the Police advice was do not travel unless absolutely necessary. To ensure our arrival in time to prepare properly for the match we calculated that we would have required to leave Edinburgh before 10am, to ensure arrival before 1pm.

Players and officials invariably have plans for Saturday mornings and a few players had arranged to work on the Saturday

morning.

The club did consider taking the train. The times of the trains were not a problem. Once again Scot Rail did not have it's plans for extra trains and seats in place and therefore there was no guarantee that we would get on a train. A further difficulty

was the carrying of the team kit. at Tynecastle, as with other clubs at this level a fair amount of kit is carried for each

match.in order to get the kit to a suitable train Station we would have to have travelled from South Gyle or Dalmeny, which

then raised the problem of actually getting on a train due to potential overcrowding. Cost was another factor. It would have cost the club almost £200 to purchase the required number of return tickets. Once we reached Burntisland Station we then had the problem of getting to the ground. I understand that it is at least a 15 minute walk from the Station to the ground. Trying to carry all the kit would have been a challenge and so further expense would probably been incurred in hiring taxis for that part of the journey.

In the light of the above you now see why the club requested that the match be postponed. It was the fact that all this happened on the Friday that left it too late to make alternative arrangements.

Now that proper diversion routes have been put in place travelling to a match in Burntisland now would not present the difficulties that were envisaged two weeks ago.

I find it most galling that people like "surely not" come on to forums such as pie and bovril and criticise Clubs and the

League for decisions, which are not taken lightly, when they do not know all the facts or consequences of decisions taken.

Alistair Wilkie Tynecastle FC.

Cheers for all the facts. It's still not good enough and still paints the EoS as no more than a Diddy league.

Any check of google maps or planner of journey times on that day ( and I know cos I checked) would tell you that the journey from saughton to Burntisland (ground to ground) was estimated at 80 mins.

Appreciate you've got a. Club to run and all that and if you're happy with the decision then so be it. As someone who's been involved in eos and junior football and who works somewhere that is a hotbed of the junior game, I'm acutely aware of the way the EoS and the LL are regarded by many ignorant football folk. Situations like this don't help-particularly when montrose roselea managed to get themselves to Haddington to play the same day.

Montrose would have travelled at daft o clock anyway? Would have added on 30-40 minutes to their journey?

I'm sure the same would have been for Tynecastle but with players having agreed to "work" in the morning that's the dilemma they where faced with, EoS is an 'amateur' league in comparison to juniors where players are paid regularly?

Montrose would have travelled at daft o clock anyway? Would have added on 30-40 minutes to their journey?

I'm sure the same would have been for Tynecastle but with players having agreed to "work" in the morning that's the dilemma they where faced with, EoS is an 'amateur' league in comparison to juniors where players are paid regularly?

You've just nailed it. 30/40 mins extra on the journey? And the whole tynecastle team will have agreed to work and not been able to make it? Still awful.

Setting a massive precedent here. Can a game get cancelled then if the main route ( for arguments let say the M9 to stirling) is closed on a Saturday morning due to a crash? Far less time to find an alternative route that can guarantee getting there on time - therefore game off?

Archived