League reconstruction: Let's hear your view

31 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

. Norway didn't, but still had a month break from 9th July to 4th August. Not sure why that was though.

I would guess there is regulations over scheduling top flight football at the same time as international football, and especially showing them on tv given how hard it is to schedule matches at the moment cos UEFA get upset in case someone actually watches a game in the flesh instead of on tv.   Also probably didn’t want to find themselves potentially having players away with other countries.

I would guess there is regulations over scheduling top flight football at the same time as international football, and especially showing them on tv given how hard it is to schedule matches at the moment cos UEFA get upset in case someone actually watches a game in the flesh instead of on tv.   Also probably didn’t want to find themselves potentially having players away with other countries.
Well aye, but the World Cup was on in June and July, not August. Unless my source has their dates wrong Norway played on during her tournament then had a break immediately after.

Don't think Scotland needs the B/Colts teams n the league set up - the promotion problem one of the reasons. People say part timers shouldn't be travelling miles midweek - others say the part timers should be allowed to compete with full time rivals. Believed that once you reach the spfl then you should probably go full time - it's a step up from juniors, senior non league etc. Thought that spfl 1& 2 should be regionalised to help clubs, only an idea.

On 08/07/2020 at 20:39, Andy groundhopper said:

Don't think Scotland needs the B/Colts teams n the league set up - the promotion problem one of the reasons. People say part timers shouldn't be travelling miles midweek - others say the part timers should be allowed to compete with full time rivals. Believed that once you reach the spfl then you should probably go full time - it's a step up from juniors, senior non league etc. Thought that spfl 1& 2 should be regionalised to help clubs, only an idea.

Is Scotland really such a huge country, that we need to regionalise below the top 2 tiers?

The downside of regionalising Leagues One and Two, is it reduces the number of promotion/ play-off places in each league.

What about Scottish Cup, League Cup and Challenge Cup

Scottish Cup keep 

Scottish League Cup as Present. (Maybe Change to British Cup involving England's Premier League vs Scotland's

Scotland Challenge Cup keep as the same. (Maybe youth teams could play as they would give Young players a chance to play against adults such to the Netherlands does with Young Ajax, Young PSV etc

1 hour ago, Darren44 said:

What about Scottish Cup, League Cup and Challenge Cup

Scottish Cup keep 

Scottish League Cup as Present. (Maybe Change to British Cup involving England's Premier League vs Scotland's

Scotland Challenge Cup keep as the same. (Maybe youth teams could play as they would give Young players a chance to play against adults such to the Netherlands does with Young Ajax, Young PSV etc

Do you have any idea what your talking about?   British cup? Never going to happen.

the challenge cup has youth teams already  it’s shite.

Edited by parsforlife

Idea 2 

Scottish Premier League 12 teams has now. But Instead playing 22 regular season. Then split into top Eight playing 14 games for the title and European Places.

The bottom four play the top four of The championship to decide who gets promoted and who gets Relegation.

Edited by Darren44

3 minutes ago, Darren44 said:

Idea 2 

Scottish Premier League 12 teams has now. But Instead playing 22 regular season. Then split into top Eight playing 14 games for the title and European Places.

The bottom four play the top four of The championship to decide who gets promoted and who gets Relegation.

Are you Stewart Milne? That's the 8-8-8 plan.

2 hours ago, Darren44 said:

Actual it was in Switzerland from 1988-2003 season.  Swiss fa and clubs are considering return to this format as brought interest in fans and give clubs. Something to play for.

It was considered several years ago, but rejected. I remember thinking at the time it sounded as if it might have had potential, but on looking closer, too much rides on too few games, it promotes defensive football and the convoluted playoffs make it a bit of a joke.

On 07/07/2020 at 09:44, DG7 said:

You make some good points. We should perhaps look at how they do it in Scandinavia and Ireland with regards to pitches, pre-season and the other things you've mentioned. I'm sure they have similar issues and possibly have found solutions.
It's an interesting discussion (league reconstruction) but we all know that nothing exciting is going to happen in reality. Sadly.

We essentially play summer football already. It's only June there's no scheduled fixtures in the seniors.

If the current season is July to May, which competitions are you going to cull in order to switch to a March-November summer season?

LEAGUE RECONSTRUCTION

FORMAT 1

PREMIER LEAGUE OF 14 CLUBS 

SCOTTISH CHAMPIONSHIP OF 16 CLUBS

SCOTTISH LEAGUE ONE OF 20 OR 30 CLUBS). SPLIT INTO TWO OR THREE GROUPS OF 10)

Premier League structure

Top four head into Champions Play offs to decide Title and European places.

Teams 5,6,7,8. Head into group A of 4 each playing six games. Top two qualify for Semi finals.

Teams 9,10,11,12 do the exact same as as Group A and same format. 

Runner up of Group plays the Winner of Group B and Runner up of Group B plays A. For two places in

the final. The winner of the final plays the fourth placed team of the Champions group.

Bottom two teams or just the fourteenth team is relegated to the championship.

Scottish League one 

Top two of each group promoted to the Championship a total of six teams. Replacing the bottom six in the championship.

Scrap the League cup to make room from the play offs at the end of the season.

Result

Belgium plays an similar system and seen improvements to the national side and even club sides are doing better. than previously. Yes i Understand certain people hate the idea. But it does generate interest and standards. In terms of clubs have meaningful matches instead of hum drum games.

Scottish Championship which would consist of 16 clubs. Could be Split into two groups of Eight as well.

Bottom eight relegation group in only which teams fight for survival the two remain and the other six are relegated to League One.

Top eight play in the promotion group for two place in the Premier League.

1 minute ago, parsforlife said:

Our current system has plenty of meaningful matches.  There’s no need to create them using some mad system 

Yes is that why Scotland has failed to qualify for Major Tournaments at National Level or Club level.Hmm

Maybe people Scotland like seeing there teams fail

The current Structure is too weak and does not provide a challenge to clubs  and is not raising standards.

Assuming premiership isn't going to go for change at the moment I think championship could look at how it could change. The Premier split system is a good format but because of Celtics dominance less exciting.  Ideally I would like the championship to still encourage full time football. If we add too many teams to top 2 tier the quality dilutes as well as the bigger gates. However I think a modest increase to 12 teams in the championship would be good and we could adopt same split system as premiership. The amount of big matches post split with likely every team in with a chance of promotion and at bottom end similarly with relegation. I would though suggest that with a bigger league there should be 2 automatic relegation spots. 

Below that up to teams to decide I think  we need a nationwide 3rd tier for the well run/ambitious part time teams and not a cliff edge if a full time team drops down. Given a couple of teams will have been added to championship in my example the numbers need to not be too big to keep have reasonable quality. So I say 12. 

I have though argued that the tier just above regionalisation so the currently league 2 that a conference hybrid system might be a better road between nationwide and regional leagues. So for example say 12 teams split into North East/South West. Play your own  conference teams 4 times = 20 games then the other conferences 2 games = 12 games. I would say put this at 4th tier as the stronger part time teams should be fine in a nationwide 3rd tier. 

So would be 4 tiers of 12 and with that also open up the bottom of that so Highland and Lowland champs have automatic promotion. 

Edited by grazza

I Don't agree that splits are good, they are in fact pish. Europe is one or 2 games & a by in the league cup for the 3rd and 4th place team - nice to have but not essential. Al that happens when you do have a tittle race is the top 2 playing out against teams who are safe , you miss the dross at the bottom skelping a nervous title chaser whilst scrapping for survival. 

I also quite like the idea of regionalization at a certain level but you have to think of Scotland's geography   90% of the teams will be within a 3 hour drive of each other, there are a few outliers obviously but they will remain outlies In a regional set up. it takes almost as long to get to inverness from Aberdeen as it does from the central belt.  it takes longer to get to fort William from Fraserbourgh than it does from Glasgow.  By all means go for it but you would be having regionalization for the sake of it

On 16/07/2020 at 08:12, Darren44 said:

Yes is that why Scotland has failed to qualify for Major Tournaments at National Level or Club level.Hmm

Maybe people Scotland like seeing there teams fail

The current Structure is too weak and does not provide a challenge to clubs  and is not raising standards.

*their

The league structure has f**k all to do with success or failure of the national or club teams

Scotland qualified for World Cups under 18 and 10 team top divisions.

Scottish clubs have won European trophies under 18 and 10 team divisons and got to finals under 18, 10 and 12 team structures with and without splits