• Announcements

• Div

Pie and Bovril Nostalgia Mobile Phone Cases!   12/09/18

We are delighted to have partnered up with Nostalgia Cases to offer a huge range of fantastic Scottish Football phone cases to our visitors. These high quality cases are available in a range of retro and up to date designs and there variations available for all Premiership, Championship and League 1 clubs as well as four of the League 2 teams. Within each club there are a range of choices. You'll find it difficult to choose! This is an Edinburgh based start-up, and they also provide a custom design service so if there is a kit you don't see that you'd love for your phone you can get in touch with them and they'll add it to their range. Naturally there is a HUGE support for all the major phone manufacturers and models and what's more delivery in the UK is completely FREE. What's even better is that Pie and Bovril users can get 10% off their order using the coupon code PIEANDBOV Take a look and browse the full range for your favourite club by clicking through to the website below. https://bit.ly/2M5laZs
Mr Bairn

League reconstruction: Let's hear your view

13 minutes ago, honestman54 said:

Sounds good but at tier 5 I doubt the regionalisation would take place.  Due to much including SFA blundering and self interest at tier 6 it is struggling to get off the ground.

Yes - it's the same old problem with junior clubs (wanting to remain junior - which means absolutely nothing, really) - and floodlights now being part of the licensing requirements.

But the way the pyramid is currently being built, the West of Scotland junior teams would have to join the East of Scotland League.  If a certain number of WoS junior teams go senior, this would tip the balance in favour of a 3-way split at Tier 5.

I am fully aware this is all pie in the sky stuff at the moment because the people involved in making the decisions are not fit for purpose, and there are individual agendas rather than just getting a proper pyramid.  Every other country in Europe has one, but here in Scotland everyone acts like it's something alien or complicated.  What we have at the moment is a pyramid that is being built on incomplete foundations, and it's going to collapse at some point.

Most times I have posted about the pyramid on this forum (in the juniors or East of Scotland section), it's like "not the pyramid again", or "that would never work" or "it will never happen".   But most threads on the pyramid are just random and incoherent tit-for-tat, with no real concrete proposals about what it would/should actually look like, because "there are too many clubs" or "Scotland's geography is too complex", etc. etc.

Nonsense.  The system I have designed below would work, and it would be better than what we have now. It allows teams to "opt out" of promotion (which in effect means they could opt out of the pyramid, while still being in it).  There would be no negative consequences for any team, and most of the lower level teams would be playing pretty much the same teams they are playing now.  Judging by some people's reactions, it's as if they imagine that joining the pyramid means playing Wick or Newton Stewart away every week.

proposed-pyramid.png

Edited by mcruic

37 minutes ago, mcruic said:

Yes - it's the same old problem with junior clubs (wanting to remain junior - which means absolutely nothing, really) - and floodlights now being part of the licensing requirements.

But the way the pyramid is currently being built, the West of Scotland junior teams would have to join the East of Scotland League.  If a certain number of WoS junior teams go senior, this would tip the balance in favour of a 3-way split at Tier 5.

I am fully aware this is all pie in the sky stuff at the moment because the people involved in making the decisions are not fit for purpose, and there are individual agendas rather than just getting a proper pyramid.  Every other country in Europe has one, but here in Scotland everyone acts like it's something alien or complicated.  What we have at the moment is a pyramid that is being built on incomplete foundations, and it's going to collapse at some point.

Most times I have posted about the pyramid on this forum (in the juniors or East of Scotland section), it's like "not the pyramid again", or "that would never work" or "it will never happen".   But most threads on the pyramid are just random and incoherent tit-for-tat, with no real concrete proposals about what it would/should actually look like, because "there are too many clubs" or "Scotland's geography is too complex", etc. etc.

Nonsense.  The system I have designed below would work, and it would be better than what we have now. It allows teams to "opt out" of promotion (which in effect means they could opt out of the pyramid, while still being in it).  There would be no negative consequences for any team, and most of the lower level teams would be playing pretty much the same teams they are playing now.  Judging by some people's reactions, it's as if they imagine that joining the pyramid means playing Wick or Newton Stewart away every week.

proposed-pyramid.png

I certainly wouldnt disagree that this looks great and I wish they would consider it seriously.  I just dont think there is the will power at the top to drive such a revision through and little interest in some of the lower ranks in football.  Why dont you get a job at the SFA and push it through

2 hours ago, mcruic said:

Given that SPFL clubs don't want regionalisation, I think it would be sensible to divide the clubs into 3 leagues instead of 4 (12-14-16?).  Top tier as it is now, 2nd tier play each other 3 times each (as has happened previously - 39 game season), 3rd tier playing a 30-game season.  It means only 2 promotions are required to reach the Premier instead of the current 3.  It also freshens up the fixtures list a bit with more teams instead of playing the same 9 teams all season...  If Tier 3 teams are concerned that 30 matches isn't enough, split the league and play an extra 7 each.

Below the SPFL, 3 regional leagues at Tier 5.  Stop with this obsession with Highland/Lowland.  There are 3 natural regions in Scotland in terms of clusters of clubs - and those are the divisions used by the juniors.

Tier 5 East/West/North would all have 16 clubs as well. 

Playing 3 times was tried and rejected, the problems are obvious, two away game against a rival. Too few games in level 3.

This structure looks great and really simple, it's amazing that the SFA/SPFL can't come up with it themselves.

As a slightly off-topic idea, why don't the Juniors keep their Scottish cup and make it a competition from all T4 teams down to enter? I grew up in town with a successful Junior side and the Scottish cup days were a massive deal drawing four-figure crowds on lots of occasions. I always questioned why some teams would want to swap that type of success to be an irrelevant League 2 club??? I also feel if the opt-in/out option was there it would allow clubs to remain in the T4 level and stay hugely relevant as a semi-pro/junior side. Some clubs like Auchinleck, for example, are hugely relevant in the junior game but Auchinleck is a village of under 5k population and may not want to get to T3,  it is totally understandable that some clubs from a small village would not want the responsibility of going to T3  but may still want the chance of being a successful side and being the top T4 team with a Scottish cup allows that. This solution might appease the Juniors and Lowland/Highland league teams and get them to buy into the structure.