League reconstruction: Let's hear your view

23 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

Me. It's a subjective opinion obviously. But more generally, to an interested outsider, I think the tope league is the least interesting.

It's obvious that the clubs in the top league have the most fans and therefore the highest crowds It's also obvious that they have the best players and therefore the quality is higher than all the other leagues.

I also understand why the OF dominate TV deals etc. I'm just saying that as a football supporting neutral, I have no interest in that league because it is mind-numbingly boring.

If the Lowland League was playing right now, I'd be gasping to go along to a game before L1 started. I'm not sure I'll even turn on the TV to watch the Premiership.

Fair comment, sir. 

I cannot wait for the juniors to start again too (whilst we still have juniors!)

League Reconstruction

PREMIER LEAGUE

Premier of 14 clubs playing 26 games regular season. Then split the league into top of 6 playing for the Title and European Places. The bottom 7 play for three Relegation Spots.

The championship group play a further 10 games and the bottom 7 group play additional four. the bottom two are automatically relegated and the third from bottom plays the winner of the 3,4,5,6 of the championship

SCOTTISH CHAMPIONSHIP

A league consisting of 16 clubs playing for 30 games. The top are promoted to the Premier League. 3,4,5,6 play against each other for the right to play the third from bottom of the Premier Relegation Group. Bottom 5 automatically relegated.

LEAGUE 1

Five groups of 14 clubs with the winners of each group automatically promoted. 

Really hard to see a reconstruction that benefits all, obviously the league is top heavy with little or no chance of success. Don't see the clubs in League's 1 & 2 ever growing into a top 12 set up, so I'm guessing that the target is to get more non league clubs involved somehow, maybe bringing along attendances of 1,000+ to boost the coffers. Would there ever be a real interest in growing the 42 upto say 48, into divisions of 12 ?

In Rugby Scotland, Wales, Ireland formed the CELTIC LEAGUE in order to compete with the English and French Rugby Leagues.

Well Ladies and Gentlemen its time for Football to do the same as its Rugby County Parts like it or not. Cross Border Leagues are the Future for Small Nations. In order to compete with the big Leagues.

CELTIC LEAGUE FOOTBALL.

SCOTLAND  6 Teams

Northern Ireland 6 Teams

Irish Republic 6 Teams

Wales                2 Teams

A 20 team league playing twice. The bottom team each season is relegated to there national League. Alternatively you could two division Celtic Leagues. With National leagues as Third Division.

Games would be played on a weekend to enable fans to travel. and free up mid week for European Games.

UEFA OBJECTS

UEFA in the past as objected. However UEFA now accept Cross Border leagues will become a reality for clubs to compete with the bigger leagues.

29 minutes ago, Darren44 said:

In Rugby Scotland, Wales, Ireland formed the CELTIC LEAGUE in order to compete with the English and French Rugby Leagues.

Well Ladies and Gentlemen its time for Football to do the same as its Rugby County Parts like it or not. Cross Border Leagues are the Future for Small Nations. In order to compete with the big Leagues.

CELTIC LEAGUE FOOTBALL.

SCOTLAND  6 Teams

Northern Ireland 6 Teams

Irish Republic 6 Teams

A 20 team league playing twice. The bottom team each season is relegated to there national League. Alternatively you could two division Celtic Leagues. With National leagues as Third Division.

Games would be played on a weekend to enable fans to travel. and free up mid week for European Games.

UEFA OBJECTS

UEFA in the past as objected. However UEFA now accept Cross Border leagues will become a reality for clubs to compete with the bigger leagues.

It doesn't get any better by being posted in multiple threads.

13 hours ago, Andy groundhopper said:

Really hard to see a reconstruction that benefits all, obviously the league is top heavy with little or no chance of success. Don't see the clubs in League's 1 & 2 ever growing into a top 12 set up, so I'm guessing that the target is to get more non league clubs involved somehow, maybe bringing along attendances of 1,000+ to boost the coffers. Would there ever be a real interest in growing the 42 upto say 48, into divisions of 12 ?

Realistically, there is no current non-SPFL club that's going to significantly boost attenedences to that degree long term.

1 hour ago, Darren44 said:

CELTIC LEAGUE FOOTBALL.

SCOTLAND  6 Teams

Northern Ireland 6 Teams

Irish Republic 6 Teams

UEFA OBJECTS

I have thought about this kind of thing for a while but no way will Scotland lead the way in cross border leagues as we are among the least progressive countries in the world when it comes to trying new ideas.

A Scotland, Wales and Ireland would be good but won't happen. Wales would need to bring Cardiff and Swansea to the table and as they are yo-yo EPL teams I doubt they would want to swap leagues.

The teams from Ireland are all too small to compete if they were the size of Hearts, Hibs or Aberdeen it would be interesting but none of them are that big. If they were willing to merge and create 4 province teams like in Rugby then it could be interesting. I don't know but I think football in the North of Ireland has the bigotry attached to it so it would be a divisive thing and probably wouldn't gain the same support that the Ulster rugby team has. 

Netherlands and Belgium may be the first to go for such a league. If that works then a Scandinavian one may follow. These countries are quite open minded and their people are not stone age neanderthals when it comes to ideas like this.

Wracking my brain to see a beneficial reconstruction for Scotland, just can't see anything coming to fruition anytime soon. Clubs are so defensive of the 42, would like to see the biggest 6 non lge clubs make it into the spfl  sometime. Guess that the OF are like chains around the clubs, can't live without them it seems. Am sure the fans would like something new, but don't know what exactly.

On 03/08/2020 at 19:17, Darren44 said:

League Reconstruction

PREMIER LEAGUE

Premier of 14 clubs playing 26 games regular season. Then split the league into top of 6 playing for the Title and European Places. The bottom 7 play for three Relegation Spots.

The championship group play a further 10 games and the bottom 7 group play additional four. the bottom two are automatically relegated and the third from bottom plays the winner of the 3,4,5,6 of the championship

SCOTTISH CHAMPIONSHIP

A league consisting of 16 clubs playing for 30 games. The top are promoted to the Premier League. 3,4,5,6 play against each other for the right to play the third from bottom of the Premier Relegation Group. Bottom 5 automatically relegated.

LEAGUE 1

Five groups of 14 clubs with the winners of each group automatically promoted. 

I've seen many crazy plans on here, but this one is right up there. Regionalisation of tier 3 is one thing, splitting it in FIVE regions is just madness.

1 hour ago, Marten said:

I've seen many crazy plans on here, but this one is right up there. Regionalisation of tier 3 is one thing, splitting it in FIVE regions is just madness.

The gulf in quality between the top and bottom sides would be enormous. Edinburgh City in the same league as Hawick Royal Albert Utd and Craigroyston.

13 hours ago, Andy groundhopper said:

Wracking my brain to see a beneficial reconstruction for Scotland, just can't see anything coming to fruition anytime soon. Clubs are so defensive of the 42, would like to see the biggest 6 non lge clubs make it into the spfl  sometime. Guess that the OF are like chains around the clubs, can't live without them it seems. Am sure the fans would like something new, but don't know what exactly.

If we're wedded to 42 then it feels like 14-14-14 is the most sensible option or even 12-14-16 if the Premiership won't budge on 12.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing us go 12-12-16 and then having 16 as the standard for every pyramid league below. Highland and Lowland championsh straight up, bottom 2 SPFL clubs straight down. Obviously that idea would make most L2 clubs shit the bed so it won't happen.

The gulf in quality between the top and bottom sides would be enormous. Edinburgh City in the same league as Hawick Royal Albert Utd and Craigroyston.
The North will be worse. Imagine Cove v Stoneywood Parkvale and Elgin City v Alness

Maybe if the spfl2 clubs gave it some thought, going to 16 would possibly give the weaker clubs a bit of  leeway to avoid the drop. Got a feeling that the constant play off 'survival' games could spell trouble for the lower spfl clubs before long. The lower clubs with crowds of  300+ or the likes of Kelty,Talbot,Pollok,Brora,etc.

Did the SPFL clubs below the Premiership consider going to 2 divisions of 16 for this season? I know Hearts would still lose out, but Kelty, Brora, Stranraer, and Partick would not be penalised for Covid that way. It would be 30 games per team, not 27, and balanced home and away fixtures.

Well this might work

Scottish Premier League-16 or 18 clubs(if 16 clubs 30 games a season/18 clubs 34 games a season)

Scottish Championship- 14 or 16 clubs(14 clubs 26 games/16 clubs 30 games a season)

League 1- Four groups of 14 each(26 games a season)

PROMOTION AND RELEGATION

Championship to Premier Division-  2 up and 2 down.

League 1 to Championship- 4 up and 4 down.

Scottish Premier League
16/18 clubs

Scottish Championship
16/18 clubs

Given that Derry City moved to the RoI League because of problems in the Irish League, I'm not sure matters would improve by having Linfield v Cork as a biannual fixture. 

It's really unnecessary.   If there were to be a cross-border league the sensible one would be a UK League, which would only be feasible if the Champions League franchises effed off to spend eternity playing for 14th place against Werder Bremen and Lazio.

On 04/08/2020 at 09:44, ahemps said:

Netherlands and Belgium may be the first to go for such a league. If that works then a Scandinavian one may follow. These countries are quite open minded and their people are not stone age neanderthals when it comes to ideas like this.

I can't see a Dutch/Belgian league happen any time soon. Every few years someone brings it up, it's reported to be "really serious" but then gets nowhere as not enough clubs are interested. That's been going on for at least 2 decades.

21 hours ago, bluearmyfaction said:

Given that Derry City moved to the RoI League because of problems in the Irish League, I'm not sure matters would improve by having Linfield v Cork as a biannual fixture. 

It's really unnecessary.   If there were to be a cross-border league the sensible one would be a UK League, which would only be feasible if the Champions League franchises effed off to spend eternity playing for 14th place against Werder Bremen and Lazio.

It's worth noting though that the situation in Northern Ireland has changed a bit since the Derry City situation. A UK league wouldn't work, as it would just mean Wales, Scotland & Northern Ireland being swallowed up by England and other than the OF all clubs in those leagues would just be stuck lower down in the pyramid. Not exactly an improvement for them, and I doubt they'd be that keen on it in England considering the success of their own league. A Celtic league makes more sense than a UK in that sense as at least the leagues are closer to each other in standard. Obviously Scotland is ahead of the rest, but in a league with more money I can see some of the Irish clubs growing in status. I'm not saying that idea would be workable (I'm not particularly keen on the idea of cross-border leagues) but it at least would be a more sensible solution if you do decide on a cross-border league including Scotland.

On 20/08/2020 at 07:50, Darren44 said:

Well this might work

Scottish Premier League-16 or 18 clubs(if 16 clubs 30 games a season/18 clubs 34 games a season)

Scottish Championship- 14 or 16 clubs(14 clubs 26 games/16 clubs 30 games a season)

League 1- Four groups of 14 each(26 games a season)

PROMOTION AND RELEGATION

Championship to Premier Division-  2 up and 2 down.

League 1 to Championship- 4 up and 4 down.

Scottish Premier League
16/18 clubs

Scottish Championship
16/18 clubs

If it was for at this moment, i'd go with 12-16-16 to accommodate the shorter season for the lower leagues (and to let Kelty and Brora in). Then look to expand again for next season.

On 20/08/2020 at 07:52, Darren44 said:

League 1

Group A
14 clubs

League 1

Group B
14 clubs

League 1

Group C
14 clubs

League 1

Group D
14 clubs

Might work with separate West, Central, East, and North conferences at this level.

7 hours ago, Marten said:

I can't see a Dutch/Belgian league happen any time soon. Every few years someone brings it up, it's reported to be "really serious" but then gets nowhere as not enough clubs are interested. That's been going on for at least 2 decades.

It's worth noting though that the situation in Northern Ireland has changed a bit since the Derry City situation. A UK league wouldn't work, as it would just mean Wales, Scotland & Northern Ireland being swallowed up by England and other than the OF all clubs in those leagues would just be stuck lower down in the pyramid. Not exactly an improvement for them, and I doubt they'd be that keen on it in England considering the success of their own league. A Celtic league makes more sense than a UK in that sense as at least the leagues are closer to each other in standard. Obviously Scotland is ahead of the rest, but in a league with more money I can see some of the Irish clubs growing in status. I'm not saying that idea would be workable (I'm not particularly keen on the idea of cross-border leagues) but it at least would be a more sensible solution if you do decide on a cross-border league including Scotland.

They could test the idea as a Celtic Cup, with Swansea, Cardiff, the four Irish regions that were mentioned, and some of our lot.

At the time of the changes to the Challenge Cup, I think I recall the SPFL's Deal Broadcaster talking about the competition setting a precedent for something; we all thought it was for colts in senior competitions, but maybe it was for cross-border competitions at a higher level...