League reconstruction: Let's hear your view

It will never happen because, well, the SFA/SPFL are arseholes, but:

Summer football.

Two senior divisions.

16-team top division. Play each other home and away. 30 games. Bottom two relegated, third bottom to play off v third placed in second tier.

16-team second tier. As above, with third bottom to play off v winner of regional division play-off.

Division One East, Division One West, Division Two East, Division Two West, etc., etc.

I'm glad we seem to have got rid of those Northern diddies.

You might think it's stupid, but it's the system that produced Malmö, who have pumped both Rangers and Celtic out of the CL in recent seasons.

And what would you attempt to extrapolate from this limited, and in one case out of date information?

And what would you attempt to extrapolate from this limited, and in one case out of date information?

That Scotland could produce a team that would pump both Celtic and Rangers out of the CL? Although not in the same season, obviously. And only if we had 2 CL spots, although that would probably be guaranteed if we went down the summer football and two senior divisions route. Throw in League Cup sectional ties (played in America, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the Isle of Man) for good measure, and Bob's your uncle.

Quite what we do with all the senior teams we currently have who will no longer be senior under this two senior divisions cunning plan, I don't know.

Quite what we do with all the senior teams we currently have who will no longer be senior under this two senior divisions cunning plan, I don't know.

Why, their fans and resources would be reallocated to the remaining teams. No way they'd want to continue without the nice SPFL logo on their letterheads.

That seems to be the bizarre thinking from folk who like this idea, at least. Not a scooby what other difference they think it would make.

Would you stop supporting alloa if they were relegated to a regional division?

God no. Nobody would. That's why I don't understand the thinking behind these strange ideas to kick sides out of the SPFL - some folk seem to think there's a really obvious, major benefit to the remaining clubs, but I've never seen it explained. I can only assume the hope would be that the relegated clubs would go to the wall and their fans would choose another SPFL club to support, which anyone familiar with football would know will never happen; people would just start up a new club at a lower level to replace the old, or drift out of the game altogether.

I can't imagine any fans in, say, Central Scotland voting for straight regionalisation either. Cutting the country in half does little or nothing for travelling distance, as someone on here worked out a while back, and slicing the country down into further small regions would become duller than the current state of affairs. No league limits itself to a single region for reasons of entertainment.

God no. Nobody would. That's why I don't understand the thinking behind these strange ideas to kick sides out of the SPFL - some folk seem to think there's a really obvious, major benefit to the remaining clubs, but I've never seen it explained. I can only assume the hope would be that the relegated clubs would go to the wall and their fans would choose another SPFL club to support, which anyone familiar with football would know will never happen; people would just start up a new club at a lower level to replace the old, or drift out of the game altogether.

I can't imagine any fans in, say, Central Scotland voting for straight regionalisation either. Cutting the country in half does little or nothing for travelling distance, as someone on here worked out a while back, and slicing the country down into further small regions would become duller than the current state of affairs. No league limits itself to a single region for reasons of entertainment.

The potential benefits exist in the way in which funding mighr be shifted. League Two clubs currently receive a share of around £500k each season. There are many ways such funds could be redistributed, but that's one of the benefits.

That Scotland could produce a team that would pump both Celtic and Rangers out of the CL? Although not in the same season, obviously. And only if we had 2 CL spots, although that would probably be guaranteed if we went down the summer football and two senior divisions route. Throw in League Cup sectional ties (played in America, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the Isle of Man) for good measure, and Bob's your uncle.

Ah! I see.

Now that it's been explained sounds like #baller utopia.

Haud me back :1eye:lol::lol:

The potential benefits exist in the way in which funding mighr be shifted. League Two clubs currently receive a share of around £500k each season. There are many ways such funds could be redistributed, but that's one of the benefits.

So the remaining 32 clubs could receive as much as £15,000 in exchange for cutting the bottom ten adrift?

If only I'd seen this explained earlier :P

So the remaining 32 clubs could receive as much as £15,000 in exchange for cutting the bottom ten adrift?

If only I'd seen this explained earlier :P

Redistributing £500k over a larger number of clubs at the top levels of the pyramid would help clubs develop. Alternatively, more funding for the the current League One clubs would help them compete at the second tier in a 16/16 system.

That can be the type of thinking involved in decreasing the numbers. I think there's a positive discussion to be had about how best to use the resources available to help the whole game. I don't think it's wrong to explore whether or not funding is best used to support the current structure, or if there might be a better way to structure things. That doesn't necessarily mean we should have less clubs playing in national leagues, but I think there is a discussion to be had.

Aye...call me a cynic, but I'm thinking that fifteen grand would be a best-case scenario for League One clubs. If the SPFL was moving down the route of discarding wee clubs to raise more money for bigger clubs, then it wouldn't be long before the bigger, bigger clubs started claiming that small amount would be better used by teams with superior facilities for youth development.

Coincidentally, there'd be fewer wee clubs to try and block moves like that, too.

Aye...call me a cynic, but I'm thinking that fifteen grand would be a best-case scenario for League One clubs. If the SPFL was moving down the route of discarding wee clubs to raise more money for bigger clubs, then it wouldn't be long before the bigger, bigger clubs started claiming that small amount would be better used by teams with superior facilities for youth development.

Coincidentally, there'd be fewer wee clubs to try and block moves like that, too.

Absolutely. If that kind of deal was on the table I'd be against it.

Never mind the money for a min. Plenty of teams play in regional leagues and dont go to the wall. Should you be relegated you will have the opertunity to win promotion. I dont see why we have to stick rigidly to the number 42. I dont see why smaller clubs think that regional = death . Many are similar in size support and abilty as the bigger junior teams

The other obvious advantage of reducing the numbers is making the pyramid set-up more appealing to the likes of the Junior teams. The numbers wouldn't necessarily have to be reduced, but I've always thought that 3 national tiers would be the limit in this regard. There is very little appeal in League Two for many currently outside of the set-up.

Never mind the money for a min. Plenty of teams play in regional leagues and dont go to the wall. Should you be relegated you will have the opertunity to win promotion. I dont see why we have to stick rigidly to the number 42. I dont see why smaller clubs think that regional = death . Many are similar in size support and abilty as the bigger junior teams

I don't think they would at all; that was just all I could think for why bigger clubs would be so keen to get rid. If it's just for the potential of an extra ten-to-twenty grand a year, then fair enough; I guess people have been killed over less. As for sticking to 42, there is no reason, as we've expanded a couple of times in recent memory. I'd like to think there would be more of a reason for expelling teams than just "f**k 'em, we got ours", however.

The other obvious advantage of reducing the numbers is making the pyramid set-up more appealing to the likes of the Junior teams. The numbers wouldn't necessarily have to be reduced, but I've always thought that 3 national tiers would be the limit in this regard. There is very little appeal in League Two for many currently outside of the set-up.

Elaborate, sir.

I'd have thought greater promotion/relegation to and from League Two would work better than dumping another layer down a level, as presumably the Junior clubs would still have to work their way past those sides to get into the SPFL anyway. I'd imagine that eventually we'll see the Highland/Lowland champions coming straight up anyway, with maybe a play-off situation similar to the current one between the clubs underneath and the third-worst SPFL side. Probably not for twenty or thirty years, but I'd have thought that's the long-term aim for the pyramid system.

Elaborate, sir.

I'd have thought greater promotion/relegation to and from League Two would work better than dumping another layer down a level, as presumably the Junior clubs would still have to work their way past those sides to get into the SPFL anyway. I'd imagine that eventually we'll see the Highland/Lowland champions coming straight up anyway, with maybe a play-off situation similar to the current one between the clubs underneath and the third-worst SPFL side. Probably not for twenty or thirty years, but I'd have thought that's the long-term aim for the pyramid system.

For clubs used to regional football, 2 trips to Annan at one end or Elgin at the other isn't a great incentive. Especially when it's only the fourth national tier. I'm sure they'd rather compete with some of the clubs at a regional level with a more enticing prize at the end of it.

Look at Brora last year - they didn't want promotion. Would they have felt the same if it was a second tier league of 16? Not a chance. It seems to me that they'd actually prefer a greater battle for promotion with a greater prize at the end. No-one feels motivated by a prize that they don't want.

Of course, we're a long long way from something like that. There would be many other elements needed to make it work.

You might think it's stupid, but it's the system that produced Malmö, who have pumped both Rangers and Celtic out of the CL in recent seasons.

If you genuinely believe the league set-up is what creates better players/teams we should follow the Swiss example surely? Top two divisions of 10 and then a 16.

The Swiss are nearer to Scotland in population than Sweden and they're miles ahead of the Swedish in club ranking (and have 2 UCL places) and in the FIFA rankings.

So there we have it, two divisions of 10 and we'll be as good as Switzerland in no time.

Edited by EdTheDuck

For clubs used to regional football, 2 trips to Annan at one end or Elgin at the other isn't a great incentive. Especially when it's only the fourth national tier. I'm sure they'd rather compete with some of the clubs at a regional level with a more enticing prize at the end of it.

Look at Brora last year - they didn't want promotion. Would they have felt the same if it was a second tier league of 16? Not a chance. It seems to me that they'd actually prefer a greater battle for promotion with a greater prize at the end. No-one feels motivated by a prize that they don't want.

Of course, we're a long long way from something like that. There would be many other elements needed to make it work.

For a moment, I thought you were doing a Brookes Mileson and saying that Brora should be parachuted directly into League One :lol: My bad.

They'd still be having to work their way past these teams anyway, so I really don't see what kind of difference that makes. The same 'prize' is still there at the end of it. f**k Brora, as they'll end up going down the same route as Gretna eventually anyway, but their reticence towards promotion didn't seem to be coming from having to play Montrose and East Stirlingshire for a season, but was more to do with the board enjoying their time as a big fish in a small pond. Possibly taking a year less to travel towards being walloped by Raith, Morton, and St Mirren doesn't seem like any kind of incentive to a club that thinks along those lines.

Have any other Highland/Lowland sides expressed displeasure at the thought of rubbing shoulders with Clyde on their way to potential glory? Well, more so than everyone else :P