14 team "Premiership" next season

The main impetus for change appears to be finding a way to avoid late season fixture backlogs:

If backlog was such a problem why has the diddy cup been expanded and a winter break introduced. Those dates could have been used to ease this supposed fixture congestion.

Another way to avoid it is to get rid of clubs postponing games for friendlies and to "rest" for European ties.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If backlog was such a problem why has the diddy cup been expanded and a winter break introduced. Those dates could have been used to ease this supposed fixture congestion.

Doesn't make sense unless reconstruction involving fewer league games is coming. At that point the diddy cup expansion adds some low key games that play the role of glorified preseason friendlies on the one hand and allow clubs to charge the same for season tickets on the other.

If we are going to go mental though we could do worse than copy the Rugby League set up down south and have play-offs and a Grand Final. Would open up the championship and provide excitement. Though will never happen as football fans are relatively conventional and struggle to understand other systems compared to fans of other sports for some reason.

Stephen Thompson mentioned copying the rugby set up a couple of years ago. It would be a non-starter for a few reasons but the main one's being it would be copying rugby and it would give the best chance of a non-Old Firm club actually being champions.

I don't agree with it purely because I'm a believer in the club that finishes top of the table at the end of the season are the champions not the one that wins after a few extra, artificial games. That being that they hadn't cheated their way to the title of course.

Stephen Thompson mentioned copying the rugby set up a couple of years ago. It would be a non-starter for a few reasons but the main one's being it would be copying rugby and it would give the best chance of a non-Old Firm club actually being champions.

I don't agree with it purely because I'm a believer in the club that finishes top of the table at the end of the season are the champions not the one that wins after a few extra, artificial games. That being that they hadn't cheated their way to the title of course.

That system is accepted in rugby because there is no domestic cup so they get a showpiece final. Plus the fact that the league table isn't a completely true reflection of the best teams since they play through international breaks without their best players so depending on scheduling and luck it could transform a title race.

Being in that middle group of 4 would be mind numbingly boring. Every game would effectively be a dead rubber, horrible idea. If they insist on a split why not make it 16 teams, play each other twice then go to a 8-8?

because 44 games

play each other once after split would not be fair

That system is accepted in rugby because there is no domestic cup so they get a showpiece final. Plus the fact that the league table isn't a completely true reflection of the best teams since they play through international breaks without their best players so depending on scheduling and luck it could transform a title race.

There is a domestic cup - The Challenge Cup, which gets played at Wembley every year.

Super League doesnt play through international breaks either.

I'm just writing up a proposal right now that's a 30 game format but no summer football

Summer football would be great. There's nothing worse than sitting frozen in the terraces. Paying to see your team get dragged into a relegation dogfight. I believe if you were half pished and sitting in the warmth of the sun then it would soften the blow of your teams failings.

Summer football would be great. There's nothing worse than sitting frozen in the terraces. Paying to see your team get dragged into a relegation dogfight. I believe if you were half pished and sitting in the warmth of the sun then it would soften the blow of your teams failings.

Im sure the Scottish Cup Final being cancelled because of the weather would be fantastic

Im sure the Scottish Cup Final being cancelled because of the weather would be fantastic

That's the only real downside I can find from playing March-November, it would knacker the Scottish Cup Final. I suppose the LC Final could be the new Scottish, played on a lovely day in July, or a pishing wet day in July but mild with it!

That's the only real downside I can find from playing March-November

You should probably give it more than five seconds thought then. Its a stupid suggestion peddled by idiots who think the only way to improve things is to do the exact opposite of what we're currently doing.

Has anyone suggested a 16 team league with no split? 30 games and played over the summer. Done.

They have this system in numerous European countries, like Russia, Greece and they did in Portugal up until last year.

I don't think the loss of revenue from only having 36 instead of 38 games is a massive difference, but from 38 to 30 would be.

Archived