14 team "Premiership" next season

I don't like to defend Doncaster but all he did was refer to Denmark as an example of a league that expanded (is examping) from 12 teams to 14.

"If you look at Denmark they are currently bringing in a 14-team league from what was a 12-team league previously. Innovation in league football always continues all around the world and we’re no exception".

No indication he is 'pushing' to 'copy' what is proposed in Denmark.

Whatever the proposal, I would think it only right and proper they are agreed before the start of next season and are implemented the follow season. It can't be right to change the goalposts half-way through.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If our teams were regularly making the group stages of the Europa League the playoff for that would be more problematic. As things stand the prize is the right to make a fool of yourself in Albania rather than to make megamillions.

Rather Albania than losing to Annan in the group stage of the new league cup to be fair.

This will go through for definite at the start of the year when we beat rangers at ibrox. Absolute nap. Then they will sell Wallace and any other decent bids they get for players to pay off Ashley and super greens legal fees.

If I am reading this Danish structure correctly, you could effectively have a better chance of making Europe finishing 7th rather than 6th?

That could be fun when a team loses on purpose on Match day 30 to finish 7th to give themselves a chance of the European playoff (if they were already too far behind the Euro spots in the top 6 playoff)

If we need to use a split, why not have a 14 team league with a 7-7 split?

26 games pre split with 12 after = 38 games like we have now but with 19 guaranteed home and away matches.

Only slight downside is 2 teams missing a fixture every week after the split, not too sure that bothers me though.

Reason it would never happen is due to the smaller teams in the league not wanting to lose the third match against the likes of Celtic, (Rangers possibly), Aberdeen, Hearts etc where they will lose money.

If I am reading this Danish structure correctly, you could effectively have a better chance of making Europe finishing 7th rather than 6th?

That could be fun when a team loses on purpose on Match day 30 to finish 7th to give themselves a chance of the European playoff (if they were already too far behind the Euro spots in the top 6 playoff)

That was one my initial thoughts. Potential for teams in 5th/6th deliberately trying to lose games in the lead up the split, to try and finish 7th. You'd fancy your chances of topping that mini league rather than trying to overtake teams to reach 3rd.

If our teams were regularly making the group stages of the Europa League the playoff for that would be more problematic. As things stand the prize is the right to make a fool of yourself in Albania rather than to make megamillions.

Our last two European ties were against Tottenham Hotspur and Liverpool, with the latter featuring us equalising the tie at Anfield with ten minutes to go. It was a nice change from run-of-the-mill league business tbh.

Perhaps I'm a boring traditionalist, but leagues are meritocracies and European places should be handed out on merit, i.e. if Aberdeen or Hearts finish third this season but would then lose their European place to a fourth place team in a playoff, with that team having finished numerous points behind them during the regular season, then it all becomes a bit farcical.

I'm a supporter of league expansion, and while I'd ideally like to see 18 teams, I realise that it's unlikely in a nation our size. 16 teams would seem to be a better idea, 30 games, and if we have to have a split, then I can accept that.

But gimmicks like some of the stuff proposed by Denmark totally devalues the concept of league football, played over a "marathon" length of games. The stuff for gimmicks is cup football, league football is a test of who is the best over a long period of games. The team finishing top should finish champions, those in second and third should get European football.

I like the relegation and promotion playoff currently, and like it being played over two legs, as we have a better chance of seeing the best team of the two prevail.

Do it the Mexican way!

18 teams, play each other once then top 8 play off for Winter title!

Start from scratch play each other once again then top 8 play off for Spring title!

Hand out European places however the f**k you like, aggregate table, Winter League/Spring League winners, playoffs, whatever Europe is a source of mental torture anyway and a horrible cringe-fest to behold

Failing that, never mind the playoffs and just have the Winter League champ play the Spring League champ for the UCL spot - imagine a one game winner takes all between you know who; Plod's head would explode!

Reading the article again, I noticed this quote

Doncaster stated last summer there was a widespread desire to reduce the number of matches

is there? Amongst the clubs? I would have thought most Scottish clubs are fairly reliant on gate receipts and other matchday income considering we're not baw deep in TV money so wouldn't be queuing up to throw home games away.

Sadly, while interesting the fact neither cheek can behave like grown ups means it would never happen. As always Scottish football is held back because two sets of bigots can't play football without all the add-ons and violence they bring with them.

Add to the fact Celtic or Rangers would never agree to a one off game for the rights to champions league millions.

Our last two European ties were against Tottenham Hotspur and Liverpool, with the latter featuring us equalising the tie at Anfield with ten minutes to go. It was a nice change from run-of-the-mill league business tbh.

That was with entry at the third qualifying and playoff rounds. Scotland's coefficient has taken a nosedive since then. The prize now is for entry at the first qualifying round long before clubs like that make their appearance.

Sadly, while interesting the fact neither cheek can behave like grown ups means it would never happen. As always Scottish football is held back because two sets of bigots can't play football without all the add-ons and violence they bring with them.

Are you saying that the Mexican system would be a good system for us to use?

I think the apparent belief among the games rulers that Scottish football is nothing without the OF is far worse for the game here than anything the fans do.

Firstly, I think most of Scottish football lives in a kind of dread of the phrase "league reconstruction" nowadays - so many times has it been seen as some golden bullet, and so many times in recent years have changes (each one different to the next!) tried to be forced through. I hope they tread carefully...

As proof, in the 48hrs since the League Cup changes were announced I've seen 3 different types of reordering called for.

Secondly, any changes should take effect at the end of next season. Moving the goalposts is unfair.

Thirdly, this shouldn't be primarily motivated by ensuring Rangers promotion.

Fourthly, although I've been in favour of 14-team Premiership, that was the 6/8 model playing 36/40 games... This idea hasn't even started in Denmark yet and has some obvious issues.

- dropping the smaller clubs from 38 games to 32 (while the bigger clubs keep 36) is a huge hit to income.

- fans will not like having these 'parallel pools' and whatever contrivance is established for relegation instead of automatic relegation slots.

- I don't see how splits can work for the lower levels due to postponements and cup-ties.

- the unfairness of this format of EL playoff.

It is different in Denmark as they currently have 12 clubs playing 33 games. For them the changes makes things more balanced and adds games.

- dropping the smaller clubs from 38 games to 32 (while the bigger clubs keep 36) is a huge hit to income.

Read the details. No club gets fewer than 34 when the playoffs are factored in and there are the extra 4 League Cup group games to consider over and above that. I seriously doubt that those were added without further changes in mind.

Right, so the two groups of 4 would both be involved in relegation play off sections? How many teams get relegated and promoted?

Just seems pointlessly gimmicky.

the split is good if the league is tight all over, you then have teams battling against their nearest rivals for success or to avoid failure, like the season in the SPL where the title, the european places and relegation all went to the final weekend and teams were playing each other (other than rangers v celtic)

however more often than not in scotland relegation is almost decided pre split because a team has been honking, the title may well not have been settled when it was between rangers and celtic but apart from fans of they clubs no one else gave a shit, and the other european places are more often than not guaranteed to one team pre split due to form etc

Read the details. No club gets fewer than 34 when the playoffs are factored in and there are the extra 4 League Cup group games to consider over and above that. I seriously doubt that those were added without further changes in mind.

league cup games during the summer holiday period arent guaranteed to bring in the punters, lesser league games means season ticket reduction in price which means less guaranteed money for said clubs

Are you saying that the Mexican system would be a good system for us to use?

I think the apparent belief among the games rulers that Scottish football is nothing without the OF is far worse for the game here than anything the fans do.

It is indeed but it's not just the games rulers. Never forget that our clubs had to be forced into not letting Rangers International straight into one of the top two divisions and then fast tracked them into the league system.

Our clubs. The ones that say they are businesses. Businesses that are so short sighted they weren't willing to see the opportunities that had opened up for them when one of the two dominant clubs went bust, even if it meant a rough but relatively short period of readjustment. These are the people holding back Scottish football in conjunction with the rulers, the same rulers that Ratnered the game but were readily reappointed.

In 2012 Scottish football fucked up the only chance it had to really change for the better. Now we're back to deckchair rearranging, continually basing league systems and financial models around leeching as much as possible from the two biggest clubs. That's the real problem with Scottish football and the one that the rulers and business brains running our clubs are more than happy to run with. For that we get the Scottish football we deserve no matter how the chairs are arranged.

Archived