14 team "Premiership" next season

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I quite like the current split. Last two seasons, it really heated up the relegation battle for us. Every game becomes a massive 6 pointer.

But this idea is fucking murder. Christ, stop tinkering. Let it run for at least 3 or 4 more seasons before changing everything again.

I might be the only one that thinks this....but if Dundee United are going down I would love to go straight to a 16 and save them. I don't think we can lose another one of our biggest clubs right now. I personally think we always need Celtic, Rangers (as fun as its been the last 4 years), Hearts, Aberdeen, Hibs, Dundee United, Dundee and Motherwell in the top league.

I always look to the Portuguese League that has 18 teams in it with 13 of them averaging under 6,000 and think that we easily have enough teams and enough competition to go to a 16.

Also reckon playing each other home and away gives teams like Aberdeen and Hearts a better chance of winning the league, think back to 97/98 season and Hearts finished 7 points behind Celtic that season and dropped 21 points to the OF because they had to play them each 4 times. If they only had to play each of them twice I believe they could've won the league that year.

Even when Rangers are promoted other teams need to play the OF 8 times which is 21% of their season which makes it so difficult. Going to a 16 and playing home and away means you only play the OF 13% of the season, makes it a whole lot more possible in my eyes.

I might be the only one that thinks this....but if Dundee United are going down I would love to go straight to a 16 and save them. I don't think we can lose another one of our biggest clubs right now. I personally think we always need Celtic, Rangers (as fun as its been the last 4 years), Hearts, Aberdeen, Hibs, Dundee United, Dundee and Motherwell in the top league.

I always look to the Portuguese League that has 18 teams in it with 13 of them averaging under 6,000 and think that we easily have enough teams and enough competition to go to a 16.

Also reckon playing each other home and away gives teams like Aberdeen and Hearts a better chance of winning the league, think back to 97/98 season and Hearts finished 7 points behind Celtic that season and dropped 21 points to the OF because they had to play them each 4 times. If they only had to play each of them twice I believe they could've won the league that year.

Even when Rangers are promoted other teams need to play the OF 8 times which is 21% of their season which makes it so difficult. Going to a 16 and playing home and away means you only play the OF 13% of the season, makes it a whole lot more possible in my eyes.

What a lot of fucking shite.

Why stop there? Let's just have a top tier of 8 with no relegation for those storied sides! Never mind that two of them are deservedly in the second tier this season. Never mind that one looks destined for that league next season. Never mind that one of them just got pumped off of Ross County. Never mind that only seven of them are in the 16 left involved in the Scottish Cup.

What a load of absolute pish. The only thing we need in the top tier are the x number of sides that have performed well enough to be there. There is absolutely no way we should be restructuring to save certain clubs. If Dundee United finish bottom, they absolutely should spend a season in the Championship, as will one of Rangers/Hibs if they finish 2nd and lose in the playoffs. That is how competition works, none of this "Scotland needs a strong <INSERT TEAM HERE>" sanctimonious pish.

Losing 3 or 4 home games a season will surely have a significant impact on a clubs income in terms of ticket sales, corporate, merchandise etc.

I'm not sure that's the same problem it once was certainly in terms of home gate receipts. I'd imagine a club like St Johnstone get a modest number of home fans paying at the gate nowadays . A far greater proportion are season ticket holders, so a key question is whether a 16-team league is more attractive to get a season ticket for. Would be to me.

If you're not good enough to finish higher than 12th in the league you don't deserve to be in the division. You deserve relegation. Regardless if you have an average attendance of 50 or 50,000. If football isn't based on merit then what's the fucking point? Just kick out the diddies like Ross County & Hamilton, promote whoever you like & bring in whoever. Then end relegation & close the league off. Might as well stop pretending merit matters.

I quite like the current split. Last two seasons, it really heated up the relegation battle for us. Every game becomes a massive 6 pointer.

But this idea is fucking murder. Christ, stop tinkering. Let it run for at least 3 or 4 more seasons before changing everything again.

Yes, the current setup is fine. Perfect? No. But we'll never have a perfect setup. playing teams 3 to 4 times a season is a bit tedious but not that bad, and between the relegation battle & play-off spot fight in the bottom 6 & the fight for a Europa League slot, there's pretty much something to play for for everyone.

16 team league, play everybody twice. 8-8 split. 38 games. Teams play everybody in their section and then there is a bonus round or fixtures against a randomly drawn team in the other section so very fit gets 4 home and 4 alway games post split. Or you got go 8th plays 9th, 7th plays 10th... 1st plays 16th. Could create scenes if it's the last fixture of the season and there's an upset.

I quite like how he said we need the big teams in the league in one paragraph so bugger all competition, then went straight to Portugal does fine with lots of smaller teams in the next.

I'd be up for 2 x 16 as a fan whose main issue is the playing 4 times plus a season, probably with EL playoffs down to 6th included as well so most teams would have something to play for all season; but even with the extended LC group stage, I don't think the drop in income would be offset and there's very little chance clubs (or BT / Sky, who want 4 x OF games) would go for it.

"Scotland needs a strong <INSERT TEAM HERE>" sanctimonious pish.

Ooft Partick Thistle fans didn't take that one well hahaha

Just to be clear I didn't mention anything about a strong <Any team>. Nor did I say that teams i.e. Dundee United should be in a top league if they don't deserve to be.....my point was that if we went to 16 next season then I think Dundee United are more deserving than say Morton or Raith Rovers or whoever finishes 4th in the Championship.

I think right now we need our big clubs in a top division, ideally a weak Celtic and Rangers and a strong Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen.

Just to be clear I didn't mention anything about a strong <Any team>. Nor did I say that teams i.e. Dundee United should be in a top league if they don't deserve to be.....my point was that if we went to 16 next season then I think Dundee United are more deserving than say Morton or Raith Rovers or whoever finishes 4th in the Championship.

I think right now we need our big clubs in a top division, ideally a weak Celtic and Rangers and a strong Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen.

No, they're not. If they come 12th they deserve to be relegated. If raith come 4th and win the playoff they deserve to be promoted. It's really not difficult stuff.

If/when United finish bottom this season we will absolutely deserve to be relegated and it would be a scandal if we were saved just because the 4th/5th placed team in the Championship isn't seen as worthy of a place in the top flight. If they're shite then they'll no doubt get relegated soon enough. If United deserve to be in the top flight then we'll have to show it in the Championship first.

And on top of that as long as the 8 teams I mentioned are in the top division then I couldn't give a hoot who the other 8 teams are, most of them are a complete irrelevance to the league with their pathetic tiny crowds that bring nothing to the game.....in fact lets go back to 10 teams, ill let Falkirk and Killie back in :thumsup2

And on top of that as long as the 8 teams I mentioned are in the top division then I couldn't give a hoot who the other 8 teams are, most of them are a complete irrelevance to the league with their pathetic tiny crowds that bring nothing to the game.....in fact lets go back to 10 teams, ill let Falkirk and Killie back in :thumsup2

You're thick as f**k.

Archived