14 team "Premiership" next season

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No way should we have a 14 team league. We shouldn't have any more ridiculous splits.

A 16 team league is the way forward. Give us some common sense football and no gimmicks which insults the fans intelligence as if we're daft enough to think it makes it more exciting.

Wait a sec, how does a split of 5/9 = 36 games for each part of the split?

34 games chief: 4 home games and 4 away games for everyone after the split.

The top teams play each other home and away to give tv, sponsors, media, etc their decisive big games at the right time in the season (think like them: potentially Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs/Dundee Utd in title/European deciders playing both home and away for the last few weeks of the season).

The bottom 9 teams play every other team just once, but still get 4 home games and 4 away games, to decide who's relegated or in the relegation play-off. There'd possibly be a wee mid-table of 6th, 7th, 8th post-split, but the head-to-head, one-off games nature of the bottom 9, and the chance to develop players in competitive games could keep it interesting for their fans.

At any rate, it's an answer that would give fans what they seem to want with more variety in fixtures (bigger league, more promotion/relegation, less than 4 league games against most teams), yet keep the big clubs, tv, etc interested with their 'best v best' 4 times a season.

So it delivers more variety in fixtures than leagues of 10 or 12, but gives more head-to-head games involving the biggest clubs (if they get their acts together) than leagues of 16 or 18 (which the vested interests will always block).

In the second division, it would replace the need for play-offs (where some teams play each other for a 5th and 6th time in a league season) with an in-league top 5, with play-off-style head-to-heads but accruing league points as normal.

I've added the post-split fixtures list to the previous post, at the bottom of page 7.

Oh, I went with just playing each other once. 41 games seems reasonable.

I don't like the idea of an odd number of games - a 42nd could be created with a random draw. Since this would be a repeat fixture, the team who played at home the first time would play away.

I'd be interested to see how many "derby" fixtures this created for round 42

Also, as if copying the English Premiership / Championship isn't bad enough we've now got Conference? f**k off. About the only good use I can think of for Gaelic is the potential for a decent differentiated league name. Call it something unique, it doesn't even really matter what it translates to as only three guys and a sheep will understand it anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Pie & Bovril

Like the idea of Gaelic Names:

prìomh-lìg

farpais lìg

Lig aon

Lig dithis

àrd-tìreach lig

Galldachd lig

I didn't realise 14 team league was seriously being considered. 14 clubs with 6 & 8 split is the way to go.

In order to make it viable a European place would need to be awarded to the club finishing top of the league of 8.

Guarantees TV the main derby games in Edinburgh and Dundee also a race to the "Super Six" in the first part of season followed by

Super Six 10 round play off plus

The Euro-Eight play off with 14 rounds giving ample opportunity to blood young players.

I hate the present split were teams play each other 3 times with 2 home & 1 away or vise versa plus the chance that you may only have 18 home games but 20 away - which is just wrong.

The problem with a split where there's a Euro place for best of the worst is the disincentive it creates to finish say 7th rather than 6th; and as above, when there's only 2 places to be doled out anyway beyond the CL place and cup winner place then that becomes even more ludicrous.

The problem with a split where there's a Euro place for best of the worst is the disincentive it creates to finish say 7th rather than 6th; and as above, when there's only 2 places to be doled out anyway beyond the CL place and cup winner place then that becomes even more ludicrous.

It's easily fixed by having play-offs instead, with the 7th placed team being the lowest ranked of the entrants.

It's easily fixed by having play-offs instead, with the 7th placed team being the lowest ranked of the entrants.

That would be the best solution. Also if there is ever a 3rd tier of European competition in the future then a larger league with a competitive mid table might be a possibility.

The split needs to go because it's an embarrassment.

16 teams is perfect in my eyes. Less league games yes but I don't think that's a big deal. Playing a team once home and away makes sense and the novelty of going to games would increase.

The split needs to go because it's an embarrassment.

16 teams is perfect in my eyes. Less league games yes but I don't think that's a big deal. Playing a team once home and away makes sense and the novelty of going to games would increase.

I think the clubs might see an issue as less games means less income. Losing 3 or 4 home games a season will surely have a significant impact on a clubs income in terms of ticket sales, corporate, merchandise etc.

Archived