14 team "Premiership" next season

Oh and I have no objection to it being introduced next year as no one will be unduly harmed by increasing the leagues - those who will have gone down under current system will, those in playoff places get a boon of automatic promotion. (Though BT may object having a contract for the playoffs and all).

Likewise it can wait till next year too, whatever.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh and I have no objection to it being introduced next year as no one will be unduly harmed by increasing the leagues - those who will have gone down under current system will, those in playoff places get a boon of automatic promotion. (Though BT may object having a contract for the playoffs and all).

Likewise it can wait till next year too, whatever.

Would imagine there would still be playoffs. Hibs and Rangers would go up automatically and there would be no automatic relegation. 12th and 3rd-5th would be in the playoffs.

How do the Russians do it?

They used to play summer football, but about 3 years ago changed to a winter football calendar to fit in with the majority of other countries in Europe. They have a massive winter break now, but they can afford to with only 30 games in their season.

Sweden, Norway and Ireland are about the only countries who have a league that plays summer football are good enough to semi-regularly qualify for major tournaments. As to what happens to these leagues when a World Cup or Euros is on, I'm not 100% sure, but I'd imagine they'd have some sort of summer break to work it around the tournament. Although possibly not, as I wouldn't imagine many players playing in these leagues will actually make it into the respective Euro 2016 squads as they'll all be playing in better quality leagues around Europe anyway.

Most of our players play in England too. However i'd prefer to keep summer free from domestic football but it will be interesting to see whether we get more call offs due to wetter winters because of climate change in the next 20 years. Will 3G pitches mitigate that?

Sure whatever on the mindless drivel thing. The Drybrough Cup was a glorified preseason tournament, so really isn't relevant anyway. The League Cup sections worked quite well until league reconstruction ended the need to generate some extra fixtures. I don't see why it would be brought back unless reconstruction to a format with fewer league fixtures is imminent.

That was the thing that surprised me about the announcement - they've found space in the fixtures calendar for a two weekend (i.e. three week) winter break, yet there are no fewer league games and the league season isn't starting any earlier. It seems as if they'd need to re-structure to make it all fit*...and Doncaster was flying the 'too many games in a season' kite again, using the Highland League as an example of a league struggling to get through their fixtures schedule in his BBC Radio Scotland interview.

(*...although they could possibly be more economical with post-split games by using mid-weeks (depending upon UEFA dates) and there would be a free mid-week in August that they'll not be using for the League Cup any more, unless that whole competition's to be done and dusted by the end of November.)

The other thing that stood out was that the Premiership clubs have supposedly agreed to the winter break, yet the Championship, League One and League Two clubs haven't yet. This looks like the old SPL vs. SFL fault-lines still exist and smacks of the boys at the top going their own way again rather than there being one, united league body. That doesn't look too good for the future.

We've stole the names of the English leagues, now lets steal the way they do it too.

2 leagues of 20, play each other home and away, bottom 3 relegated, top 2 come up and the next 4 play in play offs to come up.

no splits lets just keep it simple.

You could even make it 3 leagues of 20 and let some highland/lowland league teams in along with some u20's teams.

We've stole the names of the English leagues, now lets steal the way they do it too.

2 leagues of 20, play each other home and away, bottom 3 relegated, top 2 come up and the next 4 play in play offs to come up.

You could even make it 3 leagues of 20 and let some highland/lowland league teams in along with some u20's teams.

They have One league of 20 and three of 24.

Your Point is invalid

This could work, all we have to do is up our population to about 33 million...

Is there a more simple solution to this actually?

Remain as we are but rather than the current (3x11) + (1x5) = 38 games, just do two rounds of fixtures home and away for 22 games, split in two and two rounds of fixtures home and away for a further ten games to get you 32.

Not radical in any way but solves the major complaint of the current 'unbalanced' format by guaranteeing every team plays each other an even number of home and away games and reduces the number of fixtures which the clubs now apparently, bizarrely want.

Thoughts? Not that I support it but I haven't seen it anywhere else and seems to achieve everything the top flight clubs want.

Is there a more simple solution to this actually?

Remain as we are but rather than the current (3x11) + (1x5) = 38 games, just do two rounds of fixtures home and away for 22 games, split in two and two rounds of fixtures home and away for a further ten games to get you 32.

Not radical in any way but solves the major complaint of the current 'unbalanced' format by guaranteeing every team plays each other an even number of home and away games and reduces the number of fixtures which the clubs now apparently, bizarrely want.

Thoughts? Not that I support it but I haven't seen it anywhere else and seems to achieve everything the top flight clubs want.

Could be a goer, that. Could be a goer.

Turns out I am wrong, the structure is described with a diagram here in Danish:

http://divisionsforeningen.dk/~/media/Divisionsforeningen/Files/Pressemeddelelser/PM_%20ny%20struktur%20i%20Alka%20Superliga%20%282%29.pdf

It is 7, 9, 11, 13 in one section and 8, 10, 12 and 14 then there are playoffs for either relegation or the last Euro place. All clubs get a minimum of 34 games from this, which means 38 when the League Cup group stage is included.

From the diagram you see the two 4-team groups are actually split more logically thus:-

One group of 7th., 10th., 11th. & 14th.

Other group of 8th., 9th., 12th. & 13th.

which effectively best equalises the average-team-strength between the two groups.

From the diagram you see the two 4-team groups are actually split more logically thus:-

One group of 7th., 10th., 11th. & 14th.

Other group of 8th., 9th., 12th. & 13th.

which effectively best equalises the average-team-strength between the two groups.

And ensures there is a benefit to finishing higher up the table pre split as the relative strength of your three opponents will always be weaker the higher you finish, assuming positions correlate with strength.

Edit- it's still nonsense though.

This could work, all we have to do is up our population to about 33 million...

We already have the teams, it's just they are split over 4 top leagues and a bunch of smaller ones instead of 2/3.

Do we have too many teams for a country the size of Scotland, that's a debate for another thread. This is just about utilising the teams we currently have.

the talk of splitting after x amount of games annoys me. Why can't we just have a league system that announces the fixtures at the start of the season and that's what you stick to. No need trying to predict where teams will finish so everyone gets an even amount of home/away games.

Archived